Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Using a Wireless Router to Connect a Desktop to WiFi Signal

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Cassiopeia

Cassiopeia

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 08 September 2015 - 07:07 AM

Where I live has free wifi.  Unfortunately, my desktop does not.  I have a belkin wireless router.  I have a laptop running windows 8.1.  My desktop is Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit.  (It was 64 bit until I wiped the drive and installed 32 because my 64 disc is missing.  I wiped it because the wifi usb caused dns server errors and it was my last resort to get my desktop connected to the internet.  Didn't work, now I'm stuck with 32-bit.)  I have tried two usb wifi adapters and one wifi card.  None of them worked.

Without access to the router supplying the wifi signal, how can I connect the belkin router to the wifi signal and use a cat 5 cable to access the internet?

Or, is there a way to connect my desktop to my laptop and use it as a means to connect to the internet.  (Laptop is missing the software I use for life's missions.)

My desktop is a custom-made, but has windows 7 home premium 32-bit.  The laptop is a Toshiba Satellite with no dvd/cd drive running Windows 8.1 with Bing (whatever that means) 64-bit.  

I really need to get on the internet with the desktop.

Thanks.

Catherine

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 08 September 2015 - 10:09 AM

If your router can't do wireless bridging than you can't use the router at all.  Most are not designed to connect wirelessly to a ISP but only via a wired connection to the routers wan link.

Something has to be seriously wrong with the PC is two usb on one wired wifi cards did not work.

My question is what didn't work?  Could you see the wifi networks in your area?  Could you see the free one?

Does the laptop connect just fine to the free wifi?

#3 Cassiopeia

Cassiopeia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2015 - 11:06 AM

I could connect to the wifi, but could not get anywhere in the internet.  Errors having to do with the DNS server kept appearing.  I know the internet was working as my laptop had no problems serving the internet at the same time the desktop kept giving me dns server errors.

What about connecting the desktop to the laptop to access the internet?

#4 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2015 - 12:18 PM

You can use ICS [internet connection sharing] to give the pc internet access via the laptop's connection.

Google internet connection sharing windows 8 for more info

I would suggest though that addressing the dns issue on the pc would be the way to go.

Good way to start would be to post the results of a ipconfig /all from the laptop and the pc when both are connected via wifi so we can compare working settings with nonworking ones.

#5 Cassiopeia

Cassiopeia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 06:39 AM

Just a query: are you just a member or are you admin?  Your responses are not very helpful.  "Google" something?  Admin would tell me the answer.

#6 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 10:14 AM

I am just a helpful person who knows IT.  If you have difficulty googling internet connection sharing for the how to there are some internet tutorials I can point you to that you may find helpful. 

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 09 September 2015 - 11:52 AM

Admin would tell me the answer.

Only if the admin knows what the answer is. The same applies to BC computer staff. Just because we have title does not mean we "know it all". Each of us has our own areas of expertise.

Staff is identified as such under their photos: Advisor, Moderator, Global Moderator, Site Admin, Admin

Members have Member under their photos.

We have very knowledgeable members here who can and do help people resolve their issues.

Since there are more members that staff, it's more likely that members will be the first to respond and other members will chime in.

If, at anytime, you don't understand something, ask questions.

The goal of Bleeping Computer is to help solve issues and it doesn't matter if staff or members help get those issues resolved.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 09 September 2015 - 11:53 AM.

#8 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 01:10 PM

Google internet connection sharing windows 8 for more info

I would also suggest I was very specific as to what to google.  Takes you right to the information you need. 

I would also think knowing your router can't be used as a wifi card was also helpful.  Saved you going down that road.

You're welcome

#9 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 04:48 PM

yeah Wand3r3r be more helpful <-- sarcasm lol

There are a few ways to do what you want:

1) ICS - https://www.google.com/search?q=internet+connection+sharing+windows+8&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8 I highlighted the words, right clicked, and clicked search Google.

2) Update router firmware - if your router's stock firmware won't do what you need you can put new firmware on in that will. DD-WRT and Tomato are the most popular but there are others. Lots of steps but nothing too difficult if you take your time, read and follow directions.

3) Buy a USB dongle for your PC - My personal choice. Like these from Amazon.

I would do #3 and while you wait you could do #1 until the dongle arrives. You already have everything you need to do #1 and when the dongle comes in you just undo it. Easy peasy.

Of the three, #2 would be my last choice. It adds a layer of complexity that is unneeded. Getting both connected independently to the wireless would be the best way to go, IMO.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#10 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 13 September 2015 - 12:22 PM

When you say dongel are you referring to like the cricket broad band modem?

Here locally they have been bought out by att.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

#11 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2015 - 01:04 PM

Did you click the link I provided to have a look at what I meant?

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#12 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2015 - 03:49 PM

For some reason your link did not render high lighted.  Once I saw your second post I went back and it was highlited.

Just so you know the page tab started blinking and I could not close the tab with the X had to close the whole page and it took almost 2 minutes to close.

#13 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2015 - 11:48 PM

OK? No idea what you mean the tab was blinking, it was a link to amazon. No not a cell dongle just a wifi dongle that is USB. they are small and inexpensive.

#14 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2015 - 03:54 PM

Ok so basically giveing a PC without  a network card a wireless ability.  Hmmn neat idea!!! 

Does that actually work???

Edited by dannyboy950, 15 September 2015 - 03:55 PM.

#15 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2015 - 09:14 AM

It does for me. And is so much easier than the ICS setup.

Edited by CaveDweller2, 16 September 2015 - 09:15 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users