Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Clean install failed?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Willabong

Willabong

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 08 September 2015 - 04:15 AM

A while ago I posted about changing my W10 32 bit install which works flawlessly, to a W10 64 bit install.

My desktop PC is fully 64 bit compliant and before upgrading I ran a full retail version of W7 (I have both 32 and 64 bit versions).

Anyway, I backed up everything I wanted to keep to a spare usb hard drive, and put the install disk saved from an ISO  64 bit version of W10 into my DVD drive and re-booted.

The setup started and I got as far as the option to perform a repair or custom install, I choose 'custom' and a screen appeared showing my drive partitions and various options including 'format'.

That is where the problems started:  I could not format my drive (format option did nothing), and got this error message:  " Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table on EFI systems,Windows can only be installed to GPT disks."

Anyone got any idea what this means?

So I re-booted again and tried to start the already installed 32 bit version ..... It wouldn't start! Instead I got messages saying that the system was trying to repair Windows, this ultimately failed, and I haven't been able to start W10 since?

I also found out that no restore points have been saved, so can't go back to a working version.

Any ideas what I should do to correct this problem? Or better still how to install the 64 bit version? 

Edited by Willabong, 08 September 2015 - 04:16 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,661 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 08 September 2015 - 05:37 AM

Hi Willabong :)

This error message is asking you to convert the hard drive where you'll install Windows 10 to a GPT partitionned one, and not a MBR one like it is now. You can avoid that by disabling UEFI in the BIOS, but I suggest you to convert your hard drive to GPT and leave UEFI and the Secure Boot enabled. To convert a drive to GPT during the installation, follow the instructions below.

During the setup, press on the Shift + F10 keys to bring up the command prompt. From there, enter the diskpart to open it's utility. Now, enter list disk and identify the hard drive on which you'll install Windows 10. Once done, enter select disk X where X is the number of the disk you identified. From there, enter the command clean followed by convert gpt and it'll convert your hard drive to a GPT partitionned one. After that, you can simply enter exit to get out of the utility. Be aware that this will delete and erase every single partitions and data on your drive. So make sure you back them up somewhere else prior to doing that.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Willabong

Willabong
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2015 - 05:56 AM

Thanks Aura, done that, and everything seems to be installing now?

Will let you know how it goes?

#4 Willabong

Willabong
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2015 - 06:43 AM

Aura, I have reached the "It's time to enter the product key" screen. Should I leave this blank or enter the W7 key, or the key I copied from Belarc Advisor on the old W10 install?

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,661 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2015 - 06:54 AM

Try to enter the product key you got from Belarc Advisor on your old Windows 10 installation.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,667 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 AM

Posted 08 September 2015 - 02:31 PM

I just looked at this;

http://www.howtogeek.com/228042/how-to-switch-from-32-bit-windows-10-to-64-bit-windows-10/

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#7 Willabong

Willabong
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2015 - 04:22 PM

Aura, sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, but something came up and I had to go out for some time!

Anyway everything went smoothly after your help, and the Belarc Advisor Windows key was the right one! Windows 10 the 64 bit version is up and running!

Thank you for your help, it is much appreciated! :thumbsup:

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,661 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2015 - 04:24 PM

No problem Willabong, you're welcome :)

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users