Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD Firefox Attempted Switch From DPC 0x000000B8 HAL.DLL

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 USER9999999999

USER9999999999

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 07 September 2015 - 11:31 PM

I'm getting Blue Screens of Death everytime I use Firefox v40.0.3 and it ONLY occurs when I'm using Firefox.

Code: 0x000000B8

Attempted Switch From DPC

Faulting Driver ==> HAL.DLL

Every BSoD has the same error data.

Windows XP SP3 all latest drivers and running stable eccept for this problem.

Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33GH

4 GB memory

SATA 320GB WD drive

nVidia Quadro FX580 latest drivers

HP xw4600 Workstation

I've tried everything I can think of, like turning Hardware Acceleration on/off

Makes no difference what other programs I have running at the same time nor what I'm doing. It ONLY occurs while Firefox is running even if Firefox is loaded in the background but I'm not actively using it.

I tried using IE v8 (the last one MS offered for Win XP) extensively and it worked fine. No BSOD and this was for several hours. Started Firefox in "Safe Mode" still get BSoD. Ran virus scans with no hits.

I tried starting Firefox in "Safe Mode" but still get the BSoD. I started the computer in Safe Mode with Network access then started up Firefox. Still got the same BSoD!

I have a near identically setup of XP on a second primary partition that I can set active on/off hidden/not hidden. Firefox works fine on this second partition. It obviously has the same hardware and all drivers are the same too.

I have attached one dumpfile output listing by BlueScreenView. Every BSOD dumpfile is the same except for the date/time.

======================================
Dump File         : Mini090715-01.dmp
Crash Time        : 9/7/2015 1:53:46 AM
Bug Check String  : ATTEMPTED_SWITCH_FROM_DPC
Bug Check Code    : 0x000000b8
Parameter 1       : 0x00000000
Parameter 2       : 0x00000000
Parameter 3       : 0x00000000
Parameter 4       : 0x00000000
Caused By Driver  : hal.dll
Caused By Address : hal.dll+291a
File Description  : Hardware Abstraction Layer DLL
Product Name      : Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Company           : Microsoft Corporation
File Version      : 5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)
Processor         : 32-bit
Crash Address     : ntoskrnl.exe+22f0e
Stack Address 1   : ntoskrnl.exe+6ec4b
Stack Address 2   : hal.dll+291a
Stack Address 3   : SYMTDI.SYS+1c1cc
Computer Name     :
Full Path         : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini090715-01.dmp
Processors Count  : 2
Major Version     : 15
Minor Version     : 2600
Dump File Size    : 65,536
Dump File Time    : 9/7/2015 1:54:30 AM
======================================

Attached Files

Edited by USER9999999999, 08 September 2015 - 03:35 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 08 September 2015 - 06:37 AM

hal.dll is how the system communicates with the hardware.  It's presence in memory dumps is often a sign of an incompatibility (although it can be caused by low-level drivers or hardware - among other things).

While the output for the dumps may appear the same, they have never been the same (IME).  The program that you used to generate this info only extracts some of the information from the dump file.  Please upload ALL the dumps (I request this in the quote below).

From the info that you provided, the biggest clue is this:  Stack Address 3   : SYMTDI.SYS+1c1cc

This is a driver for Norton/Symantec.  Please uninstall Norton/Symantec, then use the Norton Removal tool to ensure that all remnants are removed.  It's free from here: 

Also, be sure to have a free antivirus downloaded and installed (after removing Norton) so that you have some protection while you're testing.

Please provide this info so we can see what we're dealing with:

Upload Dump Files:
NOTE:  If using a disk cleaning utility, please stop using it while we are troubleshooting your issues.
Please go to C:\Windows\Minidump and zip up the contents of the folder.  Then upload/attach the .zip file with your next post.
Left click on the first minidump file.
Hold down the "Shift" key and left click on the last minidump file.
Right click on the blue highlighted area and select "Send to"
Select "Compressed (zipped) folder" and note where the folder is saved.
Upload that .zip file with your next post.

If you have issues with "Access Denied" errors, try copying the files to your desktop and zipping them up from there.  If it still won't let you zip them up, post back for further advice.

If you don't have anything in that folder, please check in C:\Windows for a file named MEMORY.DMP.  If you find it, zip it up and upload it to a free file hosting service.  Then post the link to it in your topic so that we can download it. 

Also, search your entire hard drive for files ending in .dmp, .mdmp, and .hdmp.  Zip up any that you find and upload them with your next post.

Then, follow the directions here to set your system for Minidumps (much smaller than the MEMORY.DMP file):  http://www.carrona.org/setmini.html
More info on dump file options here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/254649

MSINFO32:
Please go to Start and type in "msinfo32.exe" (without the quotes) and press Enter
Save the report as an .nfo file, then zip up the .nfo file and upload/attach the .zip file with your next post.
Also, save a copy as a .txt file and include it also (it's much more difficult to read, but we have greater success in getting the info from it).

If you're having difficulties with the format, please open an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt and type (or copy/paste) "msinfo32 /nfo %USERPROFILE%\Desktop\TEST.NFO" (without the quotes) and press Enter.  Then navigate to Desktop to retrieve the TEST.NFO file.  If you have difficulties with making this work, please post back.  Then zip up the .nfo file and upload/attach the .zip file with your next post.

systeminfo:
Please open an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt and type (or copy/paste) "systeminfo.exe >%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\systeminfo.txt" (without the quotes) and press Enter.  Then navigate to Desktop to retrieve the syteminfo.txt file.  If you have difficulties with making this work, please post back.  Then zip up the .txt file and upload/attach the .zip file with your next post.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 USER9999999999

USER9999999999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 11 September 2015 - 10:57 PM

Solved Myself

The BSoD was caused by WiseTdiFw.sys file installed in the C:\Windows directory by Wise System Monitor v1.3.5.31. When this file was blocked from loading the BSoD stopped.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 13 September 2015 - 05:04 AM

Nice work!  Thanks for letting us know.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users