Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Any tips for starting a pc repair business

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Teekon One-shot

Teekon One-shot

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 07 September 2015 - 11:09 PM

I had find another job cause the one I had was being eliminated and moved to a another city. So I found a  temp job with alot of maybe this or that. I would like to be the one in control not a bunch of people who look at you as a piece of furnture to be cast into the trash dumpster. thanks for any reply

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,282 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 11 September 2015 - 01:15 PM

My advice is don't.  I've done IT professional for over 20 years.  Through out that period I have been told many times not to work on people's personal machines.  This is of course thrown out the window for Senior Vice Presidents and above.  The reason for that is once you do something to a person's machine anything that goes wrong after that becomes your fault, even if that is not the reality.

If you decide to carry on you'll need a legal template to cover the work you are doing, what's covered and what's not covered. 

You'll need to decide how much to charge.  Do you charge by the job or by the hour?

How are your people skills?

Most of the things people will want you to do these days are things you can't do, decrypt files encrypted by ransom malware, recover data from a failed hard drive, are two great examples.  Other items are just not cost effective to repair, they can buy a new machine for a little bit more money.

Best to temp jobs to pick up more skills, add to your resume, and eventually get a full time job.  I've turned two temp positions into full time, and I'm working on my third.

#3 CodeSmasha

CodeSmasha

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 16 September 2015 - 10:59 AM

It takes years of experience to make your own I.T Repair Shop, you'll need the tools, the parts, the money and knowledge to get your business up and running, plus not to mention to get trust from people.

#4 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2015 - 12:38 PM

Another thing to consider is your local able to support another pc repair shop?

Around here most repair shops founded fail within their 3rd year.  Those that continue to suceed were the first ones. They had the biggest customer base and proven reputation.  Hear locally even 2 of those have closed their doors now.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

#5 RichardBrook

RichardBrook

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 13 November 2015 - 10:27 AM

I think you can try to start your pc repair business just with a little steps to see if it is profitable and something you like doing. You can position yourself as an individual at first and see how many orders you can have. Place free ads (if you don't have enough budget) about your services on the specific websites to attract your target audience. You can start from here: https://www.hirerush.com/anywhere/service/computer-services

This is one of the websites where professionasl leave their ads to find potential clients.

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,429 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2015 - 10:40 AM

"... I would like to be the one in control not a bunch of people who look at you as a piece of furnture to be cast into the trash dumpster..."  --Teekon

While the above is certainly a valid feeling! and concern! -- I'm not sure if that will carry you through the thick, the thin, the good, the bad, the ugly, day after day after day.  Maybe start out part-time and slowly build a client base.  Also, for you -- have a Mission Statement, a Purpose, Goals and Actions, and a rock-solid Business Plan [for the banks and lenders and investors].

And, learn a real good lesson from freelancers posting on clientsfromhell.net -- have a lawyer help you draw up crystal clear, EZ-read, close to iron-clad contractS [yes, plural] for your potential clients.  And, yes, unless you want to brown or burn out, EVERYBODY pays, no matter if clients are: your father, your mother, your brother, your sister, any extended family, friends, neighbors, business and sport associates, and even Mother Teresa if she was alive today.

Ben Franklin:  Take care of thy business, and thy business shall take care of thee.

Edited by RolandJS, 13 November 2015 - 10:42 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users