I was kindly helped once in the past with a System Restore problem here, although I later discovered some restore points still would not go through. I decided to live with the problem.
While goofing around on the Internet, I clicked on a page which redirected to one of those scary pages that refused to close on my broswer (the kind that warns you of a virus), and the way I normally would have dealt with such a page was to close the browser via Windows Task Manager. This time I had no patience, seeing if I could get out of the page fast, and I thoughtlessly clicked on "OK." The tab still would not close, and after ending the program through Task Manager, the browser - Chrome - had stopped working. I figured I'd go "System Restore," since I didn't feel like uninstalling and reinstalling Chrome.
That's when I got the "Catastrophic Failure (0x8000ffff)" message.
Since I've already had experience with this problem, I have tried:
System Restore from Safe Mode (no go)
sfc /scannow, (reported corrupt files and repaired)
chkdsk /f /r C: (I let it run)
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free - clean bill of health
Tweaking.com - Windows Repair All-In-One- clean bill of health
ESET Onine Scanner - clean bill of health
In the interest of saving time, I'm going to take the liberty of performing a MiniToolbox (checking, List last 10 Event Viewer log, List Installed Programs, List Users, Partitions and Memory size), posting the results below. This is in case my computer has malware and needs to be moved to the "Am I Infected" area. The report will be in my next post.
While I was desperate to lick this problem on my own, I did something that messed something else up, which I'd also appreciate advice on.
From this Microsoft Answers page, I obeyed the following possible remedy:
From "msconfig" - "Click on the Selective Startup tab and Uncheck the 'Load Startup Items'
In the 'Services' tab, Check the *Hide all Microsoft Services* option and then click on 'Disable all'.
Finally click the 'OK' ... Restart the computer ... Now try the Restore."
After the attempt (which did not work, needless to say), I thought I would be able to bring everything back in the 'Services" tab by clicking on "Enable all," but some of the items now show "Stopped," and I can't budge them. One is my AVAST anti-virus, and so far I'm not getting real-time protection anymore. (Perhaps some of the other "stopped" ones are no less important.) EDIT : I looked into this, and added my findings in my third post below.... sorry about this mess. In the meantime, I hope Win 7's Defender will protect me.
One last point. This page on Bleeping Computers came upon a remedy, and I was surprised to see it again when I looked at this other page with a similar problem. The magical solution was offered here, solving the problems of both "Catastrophic Failure" help-seekers. It regarded "VSS," which I have no idea about, and am fearful it could open another can of worms... but I figured this possible solution was worth mentioning.
Edited by Upbloat, 07 September 2015 - 11:51 PM.