Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Createing admin account local account

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 07 September 2015 - 10:40 PM

Can a local user acount with admin privelages be created in users as a local machine acct?

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,660 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 08 September 2015 - 05:39 AM

Hi dannyboy :)

Yes, it's possible to create a "local" account under Windows 10 (not a Microsoft one) and give it Admin Rights. Microsoft have a small article that explains how to proceed:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows-10/create-a-local-user-account-in-windows-10

So does HowToGeek (and it's more complete if you ask me).

http://www.howtogeek.com/226540/how-to-create-a-new-local-user-account-in-windows-10/

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2015 - 07:46 AM

Thanks that is what I was looking for.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,660 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2015 - 07:59 AM

No problem danny, you're welcome :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2015 - 10:29 AM

On my PC if you try to add or change in family it will not allow creation of an account without useing a e-mal addy.Neither child or adult.

How ever if you chose other person then you can create a local acct with admin privelages.

Now how do I make it change which acct to log on with when you start up. I want a local act to cut down on web access. If I sign out will I get a window or option to sign back in with a different acct?

It seems I have a lot to learn about useing the newer operateing systems. I skipped 7&8. Just did not like the looks of them. Now I am paying the price I guess.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,660 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2015 - 10:31 AM

danny, is this what you are referring to when you say that you add a user under "Family"?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows-10/getstarted-set-up-your-family

unite_blue.png

#7 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2015 - 10:37 AM

No not really just in add users. Mebe I did it wrong.

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,660 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2015 - 10:40 AM

Follow the instructions in the HowToGeek article I posted, maybe it'll be easier with pictures. You can see where to click and what kind of information you have to enter.

unite_blue.png

#9 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2015 - 11:02 AM

Sorry I was able to create the account finaly Now I want to change which account I bbot up or log on with when I start my computer.

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,660 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2015 - 11:29 AM

Don't you have a "Switch user" button somewhere on the winlogon page to switch user? You want to make the new account you created the "default" one?

unite_blue.png

#11 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2015 - 12:05 PM

I really have not found such a page yet.

When I first started useing this computer there was such a page/option however since 10 When I start up I am only allowed to start with the admin acct firdt created.

From what I am reading and finding on my own it seems everyone can share the same connection. Auto update will not only update me but everybody else as well.

If the PC can connect to them then they can connect to me with the right knowhow and tools. It is a 2 way street..

I am trying to make my PC mine alone as much as possible. Trying to make it as difficult as possible to get hacked. I have had enough of that allready.

To the untrained eye it seems like Microsoft is trying to build a no cost super computer using the developed bot net technology. But then I am an overly paronoid old man with some net work training and security. Just enough to keep me in trouble. LOL  Tehnology has changed so much since I was studying for my Win 2000 MCSE

But then again I am really just being paronoid.

Edited by dannyboy950, 08 September 2015 - 12:06 PM.

#12 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2015 - 01:02 PM

I am just trying to be shure I can log back on after I log off so I do not wind up with another unuseable computer. I live on disability I can no longer afford to just go out and buy another PC evertime something goes wrong.

#13 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 08 September 2015 - 03:43 PM

Now how do I make it change which acct to log on with when you start up. I want a local act to cut down on web access. If I sign out will I get a window or option to sign back in with a different acct?

Danny, in Windows 10 if there is more than one user account the LAST account which was used will automatically open to that account desktop when you start up.

If it is not the one you want to use all you have to do is sign out of that account.

This will take you the welcome screen with that account name on it.

At the bottom of the screen on the left side you will see a list of ALL user accounts.

Click the name of the account you want to use.

If that is the account that was signed in when you shut down the computer, that is the one you will get automatically get to when you turn it on again.

The best thing you can do is sign out of the account you are now using, go to the welcome screen and see what I am talking about.

If you want the same one to be used each time you start up, all you have to do is make sure that account was in use when you turned off your computer.

I have 2 users accounts. Mine and Everyone Else.

When using Mine and I shut down, the next time I start the laptop I will be automatically taken to the desktop for Mine.

If I sign out, then sign in as Everyone Else, shut down the computer while using Everyone Else, the next time I turn it on the desktop for Everyone Else will automatically load.

Windows 10 is not like Windows 7 or XP, where you got a welcome screen with all user accounts listed and you chose the one to use.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 08 September 2015 - 03:47 PM.

#14 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2015 - 04:35 PM

Sorry it took so long. I have answered part of my own questions. The local user account does work but it took almost 90 sec. to boot back up.

Note it did not import my favorites from the old admin account. I had to type in the addy bar to get here. It did however import my IE and HP favorites.

LOL even windows complained it was takeing longer than usual settimg up the new accounts.

#15 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2015 - 04:39 PM

Thanks found that out when I had to restart after uninstalling some things.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users