Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disappearing posts That reappear

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 07 September 2015 - 10:07 PM

Some of my posts seem to disappear for a while then reappear some time later?  And what does the little star looking thing mean.

My post about my printer disappeared for a while came back and now has a star at the start.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 08 September 2015 - 12:26 AM

I think the little star you're meaning is the indication that you have a post in the topic it is adjacent to.

How are you looking for your post(s)? For example, if you use the View New Content search at the top of the page, it will not list a post you've just been looking at because there is no new content. But you'd see it if you then looked at the actual forum topic listing.

Edited by Platypus, 08 September 2015 - 12:26 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2015 - 08:10 AM

No I just scroll thru the posts untill I find what I am looking for.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 08 September 2015 - 08:23 AM

I'm still not clear which posts you're referring to, but if you mean you just scan down the list of posts in that forum, I don't know of any reason why your post would not appear at any time. The quickest way to navigate to your posts is probably to click on the drop-down next to your member name at top right of the page and select My Content.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 08 September 2015 - 08:40 AM

As new topics are posted and replies are posted in other topics they jump to the top of the list in the forum board.

What you see as a topic disappearing is likely a result of those new topics/posts pushing your topic down the topic listing page.

When someone replies to your topic it gets sent back up to the top of the listings, which may be what is happening when you say it reappears.

In addition to using My Content as suggested by Platypus, you can also follow your topic and I do see that you are following it.

When a new reply has been posted to the topic, you will see a notification on the icon between the private message envelope and your member name. There will be a number to tell you how many new replies have been added.

You can click on the notification, then click the topic link in it to go straight to the topic.

If you are following a topic and do not get the notification, go to your settings by clicking the drop-down arrow next to your name at the top of the page and choose Settings/Notifications on the left of the settings page.

Notification method to use for replies to followed topics: make sure Notification List is checked. If not, check it, scroll down and click Save Changes.

You can also set it up to receive an email when there is a new reply.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 08 September 2015 - 08:42 AM.

#6 Norseman143

Norseman143

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2015 - 05:16 PM

So what does the star mean? at the left hand side of the thread?

#7 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 08 September 2015 - 05:38 PM

So what does the star mean? at the left hand side of the thread?

The star next to a thread means you posted in that thread at some point :)

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 08 September 2015 - 05:52 PM

If you take your cursor and hover over the star you will see a notice that "you posted in this topic".

#9 Norseman143

Norseman143

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2015 - 05:57 PM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users