Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

A roomate is "losing" things he saves on his computer

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Stumpy Joe

Stumpy Joe

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 07 September 2015 - 08:03 PM

I really don't know where to post this because its a weird situation. Basically my roomate writes music and stores songs and lyrics for them on his computer. He has had this reoccuring issue where the files he had saved previously will mysteriously be gone.

This has happened so many times now that I am beginning to think there is something just wrong with how he may be saving his files, but it's hard to tell because I'm not actively there when he is using his computer.

He has chalked this up as he is being hacked, but to me that is unlikely if not impossible because I cannot fathom a hacker wasting literally months of time on a single computer's data (mind you the data that would be taken is so specific that it makes no logical sense).

The system runs Windows 7 64 bit edition and he has two hard drives one of which he stores his personal data on and creates shortcuts to them on his desktop.

What can I try to do to help understand what is happening? I was thinking a sort of program that would offer monitoring of actions/programs used on the computer itself would help. I suspect his methods of saving and shorcutting may not be as he claims and he doesn't realize it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PetarSickey

• Members
  • 151 posts
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 07 September 2015 - 08:37 PM

Dude, I'm just taking a stab at this - I like music and I care about musicians, but I have NO clue where your roommate's

files could possibly be.  Just noticed noone had responded so I thought I'd think on it some.

1.  I'm assuming that he hasn't just lost "where" the files are, and that he has searched both drives for the files to no avail.  For

example, make sure that they are not just in his Documents folder which generally does not show up under the letter-named

drives but above it.  By the way, is it just his music or does he lose Notepad and other files?  Also, make sure that the files

are not hidden by some attribute like being named like a system file or something - show all files in your folders, not just non-system.

2.  Watch where he saves the files some time and write down the path.  Also, make sure the filenames are quite

unique and specific to the song he writes so that iit would be hard to write over it.  Perhaps write the songs to

both drives on the computer until the problem is understood.  Make sure that he's not losing the files by losing or

mis-creating the shortcuts - but perhaps the files are still there - just bad shortcuts?

3.  Until this problem is understood, make backups of his work to CD/DVD or some other volume.

4.  Look around for music executives - maybe they are making off with his music.

5.  Check to make sure his music software is licensed or that it doesn't need one - could the software just make it

seem like it's saved but not actually save it?

6.  Run chkdsk some time.

7.  I'm assuming your roommate's memory/mind is clear enough?

8.  Your idea to record his keystrokes and processes is not a bad idea.  Find a program that does that.

#3 Phantom010

• Members
  • 944 posts
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 07 September 2015 - 08:49 PM

He needs to be sure he's not saving the files to a temporary folder. Never work on a document while in an e-mail message. Save the document to the hard drive first. Make sure he's not simply hitting the Save button, but also Save as...

Please stick around after posting. Helpers are never far. Don't disappear for a week!
Our help is free, so please have the courtesy to reply in a timely manner. Thank you!

#4 Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,642 posts
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 07 September 2015 - 10:53 PM

Get him to install EVERYTHING     

If they are there.....it will find them.

Simple and safe.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

#5 hamluis

• 55,038 posts
  • Local time:03:40 AM

Posted 08 September 2015 - 06:48 AM

What Condobloke said.

#6 technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 09 September 2015 - 01:43 PM

Some programs save files inside their own directories they create during installation. Open the program used and look under it's options or properties to find clues to where they wind up. Some files get saved under my documents and music or other files within the User/Username directory. Again, it's easy to lose things as some programs get installed at C:\Program Files & C:\Program Files (x86) depending on if they are 64bit or 32bit.

Edited by technonymous, 09 September 2015 - 01:43 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users