Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft's discontinued Media Center suite can now unofficially be installed on

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,918 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 07 September 2015 - 08:02 PM

Windows Media Center was an entertainment system software that originally arrived on Windows XP. After XP, the media suite was subsequently included in Windows Vista and Windows 7. But, when Windows 8 arrived, the suite was no longer included and required a separate purchase. For Windows 10, Microsoft discontinued the entertainment software but did introduce Windows DVD player, as a replacement. The app was offered free for some, but those who did not qualify were charged with $14.99.
Despite this, a couple of users over at the MDL forums have found a workaround that lets you install Windows Media Center right on your Windows 10 PC. This reportedly includes Insider builds 10240 and 10532. The project was in the works for quite some time now and has just recently come to fruition.
Windows Blog Italia has documented the steps on how you can bring back the media software back to your PC. It should be noted, though, that this is not officially authorized by Microsoft and is a workaround provided by enthusiasts - so we advise users to proceed with caution.

Article

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,537 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2015 - 08:44 PM

It should be noted, though, that this is not officially authorized by Microsoft

I checked the .zip contenant and it looks like a good installer, but on a legal point of view, I don't know if the users are allowed to do that.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22,918 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2015 - 10:00 PM

If anything, they may be getting a takedown request soon. Only time will tell.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,537 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2015 - 05:28 AM

Yeah because most of the time, Microsoft executables that only works on certain version of Windows cannot be executed on others, so it means that the person (or team) that made the Media Center work on Windows 10 most likely had to recompile the executables to make them work on Windows 10, which is most likely against the EULA since you cannot tamper with any Microsoft executables you use and then redistribute it.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 jfruch1

jfruch1

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 08 September 2015 - 07:06 AM

Get VLC Media Player. It's free and plays just about anything.  http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users