Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing a Hard Drive, not wanting to format

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 IhateAV2009

IhateAV2009

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 07 September 2015 - 07:15 PM

Hi all

so I got a 1 TB WD Black HDD, and I put it in my computer, added it through the New Volume Wizard on My Computer, and when I click on it to format, it's saying the capacity of the drive is only 703KB, and when I click to format it, it says "Will not format". When I close out of the formatting things, it mentions something about a read-only drive. Conversely, when I put it into my other computer (about a year older, both run Windows 7, but old runs Home Premium, new runs Ultimate), it adds 3 viewable drives to the My Computer (same hard drive), 2 that say new disk under drives D and E (and format like it did on the other computer), and one that says New Volume, not lettered, and does format at least there, then is seen as not formatted on the other computer, and the whole thing begins again. Is this a problem with software or hardware, and what's going on? I'm kinda clueless

do you see the irony?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,239 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 07 September 2015 - 07:42 PM

Was this actually kb and not GB?

I would try the following.

Download Partition Wizard here, Install and delete any partitions on the disk. Then create a partition and format NTFS. A 1TB drive will show an actual capacity of about 931GB.

#3 IhateAV2009

IhateAV2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 07 September 2015 - 11:55 PM

Yeah, it was KB. The one that said "New Volume" Was actually in GB and was that exact 931 GB. I'll try that

do you see the irony?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users