Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I install Windows 10 with a product key over W10 without key?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 barrette

barrette

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 07 September 2015 - 06:53 PM

Hello,

I have a Gateway desktop DX4831-01e.  It came with Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.  I wanted to start over fresh, so bought a $20  Windows 7 disc to do so.  It  installed smoothly, but  left me unable to connect to the Internet, said I needed new driver and had no network adapter.  (I don't know how to do those things, and then read that Windows 7 is not fully supported anymore anyway.) 

So I bought a usb thumb and sucked Windows 10 from another computer (laptop) that has the new official free Windows 10 from Microsoft--it was installed over Windows 8  which came with the laptop.

Then I put the usb thumb into the Gateway and installed Windows 10.  It works very well, but won't let me activate because it has no product key.  So I bought a $119 Windows 10 usb and would like to put it in the Gateway, to have an official activated Windows 10.  Will this work?  Or should I just leave well enough alone?   I see that I can't personalize (pretty pictures)  the computer without activation, but am I missing anything else?

Thank you so much.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JEFF1971

JEFF1971

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 07 September 2015 - 08:27 PM

Hello,

You will need to get a network connection established on this PC first and do the windows 10 as an Upgrade for the first time connected to the internet.

This is how Microsoft Servers will activate your Windows 10 from Windows 7 as an upgrade. If you do not do it this way Windows 10 will install, but not activate and it will ask for a product key.

Once you have done an upgrade on this PC with the internet connected, you can reload Windows 10 as a clean install in the future if you need to. At that time, you would just choose Skip when it asks for a product key.

Windows 10 will than activate once it is connected to the internet because Micorosoft servers will detect that this pc has already been activated before. As long as you do not install any major component like a new motherboard that pc would reactivate again even if done as a clean install. Again, it is VERY IMPORTANT that when you do the upgrade for the first time you are connected to the internet for it to work. I have a pc business, and a client of mine had a bad hard drive. I reinstalled windows 7 but also did not have a network driver detected. I did an activate by phone with microsoft for the windows 7. But, when I upgraded to Windows 10 offline it did not work because I was disconnected from the internnet.

No, big deal.... I just reloaded Windows 7 again..... Found the network driver for the HP Laptop I was working on and downloaded it from another computer to install it. I learned this the hard way, but I thought I would answer your question so you do not make the same mistake. Just make sure you are connected to the internet when you are doing the upgrade for the first time and all should go well. Just make sure your windows 7 product key is activated. You should find the product key on your pc.

Kind Regards!

Jeff

Edited by JEFF1971, 07 September 2015 - 08:29 PM.

#3 barrette

barrette
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2015 - 09:31 PM

Sorry to not understand this right away.  The desktop I am using here now is running Windows 10, without a product key.  I am of course now connected to the Internet, so can I install Windows 10 again on this pc, using the Windows 10 usb that came with a product key?

Or must I reinstall Windows 7, and upgrade from there?   

#4 JEFF1971

JEFF1971

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2015 - 09:47 PM

You will have to install Windows 7 again and activate it.

Than, you can connect to the internet to do the upgrade to windows 10.

This is how microsoft's Servers detect your eligiblity and activate the windows 10.

Unfortunately, I do not know any other way around this. You could call Microsoft up and see if they can somehow help you.

Best of Luck!

Jeff

#5 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,672 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 05:56 AM

Sorry to not understand this right away.  The desktop I am using here now is running Windows 10, without a product key.  I am of course now connected to the Internet, so can I install Windows 10 again on this pc, using the Windows 10 usb that came with a product key?

Yes, you can use the Windows 10 USB with the product key and forget about ever re-loading Windows 7. That will work fine if you can afford it. The other route of re-loading Windows 7 and then upgrading with an official Windows 10 ISO is another way of doing it, and it would be free in the long run, just more time consuming and more frustrating. In my position, if you haven't opened up the package for the Windows 10 USB, I would at least try to go the free route where you re-install Windows 7, try to patch up the internet connection and then install Windows 10 over that. But either way will work. So basically you have 2 options;

1. Just use the Windows 10 USB since it came with a product key.

2. Try to re-install Windows 7, fix the internet connection and then install Windows 10 over that.

I don't think that Jeff understands your question.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#6 barrette

barrette
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 09:12 AM

Thank you Rocky and Jeff,

you've both helped me understand more about this.  For now,  I'll let go of 7 and use my new 10, sounds like the path with the least obstacles.

#7 orlbuckeye

orlbuckeye

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 09:22 AM

Yes, you can use the Windows 10 USB with the product key and forget about ever re-loading Windows 7. That will work fine if you can afford it. The other route of re-loading Windows 7 and then upgrading with an official Windows 10 ISO is another way of doing it, and it would be free in the long run, just more time consuming and more frustrating. In my position, if you haven't opened up the package for the Windows 10 USB, I would at least try to go the free route where you re-install Windows 7, try to patch up the internet connection and then install Windows 10 over that. But either way will work. So basically you have 2 options;

2. Try to re-install Windows 7, fix the internet connection and then install Windows 10 over that.

Windows 10 Clean install is tied to the WIndows 8 OEM PC it was upgraded from and will only activate from that PC. The clean install in not activate if the PC your trying to install on hasn't been upgraded.

He will have to fix the internet and do the update or he could get the drivers for Windows 7 for that Gateway desktop DX4831-01e.

Edited by orlbuckeye, 09 September 2015 - 09:23 AM.

• Alienware 18 Intel Core i7 4810 QM 16GB DDR3
  • 18.4" (1920 x1080) 
  • 1 TB Samsung EVO MSATA SSD 1 TB WD 5400 RPM HD 750 GB WD 5400 RPM HD
  • Nvidia GT 860 GM SLI graphics
  • Windows 10 Pro + Surface Book i5 256gb SSD 8gb RAM DGPU

#8 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,672 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 12:10 PM

Windows 10 Clean install is tied to the WIndows 8 OEM PC it was upgraded from and will only activate from that PC. The clean install in not activate if the PC your trying to install on hasn't been upgraded.

He will have to fix the internet and do the update or he could get the drivers for Windows 7 for that Gateway desktop DX4831-01e.

Actually this is completely wrong, so by spreading misinformation you might confuse people that do not know better. 

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#9 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,672 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 12:17 PM

orlbuckeye, My previous post was for your benefit. 

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#10 barrette

barrette
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2015 - 11:08 AM

Rocky Bennett,

I used the Windows 10 with product key and just as you said it worked perfectly--

thanks again!

#11 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,672 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2015 - 01:50 PM

I'm glad to hear that.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users