Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spyware Quake

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 Avalani

Avalani

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 16 July 2006 - 10:24 AM

I've gone through the steps listed in this forum: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/47826/how-to-remove-spywarequaked-and-spywarequake-removal-instructions/
Yet, the pop-up is still there. Below I've pasted the contents of this document: C:\Program Files\RoguesScanFix\task.txt

Now I don't know what to do.

Export SharedTaskScheduler key
------------------------------
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\SharedTaskScheduler]
"{438755C2-A8BA-11D1-B96B-00A0C90312E1}"="Browseui preloader"
"{8C7461EF-2B13-11d2-BE35-3078302C2030}"="Component Categories cache daemon"
"cholecyst"="{ee2975b6-e8d5-405e-8448-8fe9590f6cfb}"

sharedtaskkey: ee2975b6-e8d5-405e-8448-8fe9590f6cfb
---------------------------------------------------
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{ee2975b6-e8d5-405e-8448-8fe9590f6cfb}]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{ee2975b6-e8d5-405e-8448-8fe9590f6cfb}\InProcServer32]
@="C:\\Documents and Settings\\Lani\\Application Data\\Microsoft\\CryptnetUrlCache.dll"
"ThreadingModel"="Apartment"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pomp

pomp

Malware Fighter

• Members
  • 362 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 16 July 2006 - 06:51 PM

Hello. Please do the following:

Please download SmitfraudFix (by S!Ri)
Extract the content (a folder named SmitfraudFix) to your Desktop.

Open the SmitfraudFix folder and double-click smitfraudfix.cmd
Select option #1 - Search by typing 1 and press "Enter"; a text file will appear, which lists infected files (if present).
Please copy/paste the content of that report into your next reply.

Note : process.exe is detected by some antivirus programs (AntiVir, Dr.Web, Kaspersky) as a "RiskTool"; it is not a virus, but a program used to stop system processes. Antivirus programs cannot distinguish between "good" and "malicious" use of such programs, therefore they may alert the user.
http://www.beyondlogic.org/consulting/proc...processutil.htm

My help in removing spyware is free, but if you'd like to donate: Donate

PLEASE DON'T PM ME OR EMAIL ME WITH HELP ON LOGS :). POST IN THE FORUM INSTEAD

#3 Avalani

Avalani
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2006 - 10:35 PM

Here's what the text was:

SmitFraudFix v2.72

Scan done at 22:33:45.06, Sun 07/16/2006
Run from C:\Documents and Settings\Lani\Desktop\SmitfraudFix\SmitfraudFix
OS: Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600] - Windows_NT
Fix ran in normal mode

C:\

C:\WINDOWS

C:\WINDOWS\system

C:\WINDOWS\Web

C:\WINDOWS\system32

C:\Documents and Settings\Lani\Application Data

Start Menu

C:\DOCUME~1\Lani\FAVORI~1

Desktop

C:\Program Files

Corrupted keys

Desktop Components

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Desktop\Components\0]
"Source"="About:Home"
"SubscribedURL"="About:Home"
"FriendlyName"="My Current Home Page"

Sharedtaskscheduler
!!!Attention, following keys are not inevitably infected!!!

SrchSTS.exe by S!Ri
Search SharedTaskScheduler's .dll

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\SharedTaskScheduler]
"cholecyst"="{ee2975b6-e8d5-405e-8448-8fe9590f6cfb}"

Scanning wininet.dll infection

End

#4 pomp

pomp

Malware Fighter

• Members
  • 362 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2006 - 11:38 PM

You should print out these instructions, or copy them to a NotePad file for reading while in Safe Mode, because you will not be able to connect to the Internet to read from this site.

Next, please reboot your computer in Safe Mode by doing the following :
  • Restart your computer
  • After hearing your computer beep once during startup, but before the Windows icon appears, tap the F8 key continually;
  • Instead of Windows loading as normal, a menu with options should appear;
  • Select the first option, to run Windows in Safe Mode, then press "Enter".
  • Choose your usual account.
Once in Safe Mode, open the SmitfraudFix folder again and double-click smitfraudfix.cmd
Select option #2 - Clean by typing 2 and press "Enter" to delete infected files.

You will be prompted : "Registry cleaning - Do you want to clean the registry ?"; answer "Yes" by typing Y and press "Enter" in order to remove the Desktop background and clean registry keys associated with the infection.

The tool will now check if wininet.dll is infected. You may be prompted to replace the infected file (if found); answer "Yes" by typing Y and press "Enter".

The tool may need to restart your computer to finish the cleaning process; if it doesn't, please restart it into Normal Windows.
A text file will appear onscreen, with results from the cleaning process; please copy/paste the content of that report into your next reply.
The report can also be found at the root of the system drive, usually at C:\rapport.txt

Warning : running option #2 on a non infected computer will remove your Desktop background.

then do this...

* Click here to download HJTsetup.exe
  • Save HJTsetup.exe to your desktop.
  • Doubleclick on the HJTsetup.exe icon on your desktop.
  • By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Hijack This.
  • Continue to click Next in the setup dialogue boxes until you get to the Select Addition Tasks dialogue.
  • Put a check by Create a desktop icon then click Next again.
  • Continue to follow the rest of the prompts from there.
  • At the final dialogue box click Finish and it will launch Hijack This.
  • Click on the Do a system scan and save a logfile button. It will scan and the log should open in notepad.
  • Click on "Edit > Select All" then click on "Edit > Copy" to copy the entire contents of the log.
  • Come back here to this thread and Paste the log in your next reply.
  • DO NOT have Hijack This fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.

#5 Avalani

Avalani
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2006 - 04:33 PM

This was the text found in C:\rapport.txt

SmitFraudFix v2.72

Scan done at 16:25:02.46, Mon 07/17/2006
Run from C:\Documents and Settings\Lani\Desktop\SmitfraudFix\SmitfraudFix
OS: Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600] - Windows_NT
Fix ran in safe mode

Before SmitFraudFix

SrchSTS.exe by S!Ri

Killing process

Generic Renos Fix

GenericRenosFix by S!Ri

Deleting infected files

Deleting Temp Files

Registry Cleaning

Registry Cleaning done.

After SmitFraudFix

SrchSTS.exe by S!Ri

End

After this, I went through the other directions from the HJT setup you told me to download. Here's the text from the HijackThis program.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 4:29:40 PM, on 7/17/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avgnt.exe
C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe
C:\Program Files\Digital Line Detect\DLG.exe
C:\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\sched.exe
C:\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avguard.exe
C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\ymsgr_tray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\NOTEPAD.EXE
C:\Program Files\Hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://www.dell.com/
R3 - URLSearchHook: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avgnt] "C:\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avgnt.exe" /min
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [AIM] C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe -cnetwait.odl
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Yahoo! Pager] "C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\YahooMessenger.exe" -quiet
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MsnMsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background
O4 - Global Startup: Digital Line Detect.lnk = ?
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\npjpi142_03.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\npjpi142_03.dll
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - (no file)
O9 - Extra button: Yahoo! Messenger - {E5D12C4E-7B4F-11D3-B5C9-0050045C3C96} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\YahooMessenger.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Messenger - {E5D12C4E-7B4F-11D3-B5C9-0050045C3C96} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\YahooMessenger.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O15 - Trusted Zone: http://toolbar.imageshack.us
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://acs.pandasoftware.com/activescan/as5free/asinst.cab
O18 - Protocol: msnim - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - "C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\msgrapp.dll" (file missing)
O20 - Winlogon Notify: igfxcui - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\igfxdev.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WgaLogon.dll
O23 - Service: AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic Scheduler (AntiVirScheduler) - Avira GmbH - C:\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\sched.exe
O23 - Service: AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic Guard (AntiVirService) - AVIRA GmbH - C:\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avguard.exe
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2sgag.exe
O23 - Service: Intel NCS NetService (NetSvc) - Intel® Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\PROSetWired\NCS\Sync\NetSvc.exe

#6 pomp

pomp

Malware Fighter

• Members
  • 362 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2006 - 05:04 PM

Updating Java and Clearing Cache
  • Go to Start > Control Panel double-click on the Java Icon (coffee cup) in the Control Panel.
  • It will say "Java Plug-in" under the icon.
    Please find the update button or tab in the Java Control Panel. Update your Java then reboot.
  • If you are unable to update you can manually update by going here:
  • After the reboot, go back into the Control Panel and double-click the Java Icon.
  • Under Temporary Internet Files, click the Delete Files button.
  • There are three options in the window to clear the cache - Leave ALL 3 CheckedDownloaded Applets
    Downloaded Applications
    Other Files
  • Click OK on Delete Temporary Files Window
    Note: This deletes ALL the Downloaded Applications and Applets from the CACHE.
  • Click OK to leave the Java Control Panel.
then...

Are you still gettin the popup(s) you were talking about?

#7 Avalani

Avalani
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2006 - 01:04 AM

Actually no. After your previous post, the Spyware Quake popup went away. I thank you very much. I appreciate your posts. That ad was driving me crazy. And as far as I know of, I think I'm pretty much spyware free. I did a scan with Spybot and it found nothing. So thanks a lot for your help.

#8 pomp

pomp

Malware Fighter

• Members
  • 362 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2006 - 09:09 AM

Glad I could help!! :thumbsup:

Please follow this advice:

Since your issues have been addressed and you are ready to travel the net again, I will just give you a few ideas on how to stay safe out there. Best of all these programs are all readily available on the net for free :flowers:

To reduce the potential for spyware infection in the future, I strongly recommend installing SpywareBlaster and SpyWareGuard.

SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard are by JavaCool and both are free programs. SpywareBlaster will prevent spyware from being installed and consumes no system resources. SpywareGuard offers realtime protection from spyware installation attempts.

More info and download is available at:

Spyware Blaster Spyware Guard

Might I suggest the following Free Spyware programs for added security, you can download them at the following links. These programs work great for detection:

Ad-aware SE--Adaware Tutorial

Spybot S&D--Spybot Tutorial

Antiviruses play an important role in keeping your computer safe and worry free while using the net. *NOTE* Only one antivirus must be allowed to run on your computer, as having two or more running can and will cause conflicts.

AVG Avast

Firewalls are also a must in any good prevention :

Zone Alarm Tiny Personal Firewall

There are different browsers available on the net, other than Internet Explorer, we believe!! these are better for security purposes :

Firefox Opera

You must stay on top of your updates at all times, for the above mentioned applications.

It is vitally important to stay on top of your critical updates provided by microsoft.

This can be accessed by going to Windows Updates and following the prompts.

And finally a little Posted Image How did I get infected in the first place ? (by Mr. Tony Klein)

Good luck and safe surfing :huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users