Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Should I Upgrade?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tiz68

tiz68

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 07 September 2015 - 06:24 PM

Ok so this is the system I'm running right now.

LG CD/DVD Burner Black SATA Model GH22NS70 OEM - OEM

XFX TS Series P1550SXXB9 550W ATX12V 2.2 & ESP12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Bronze Certified Active PFC Power Supply

NZXT Beta Series CS-NT-BETA-B Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

ASUS M5A97 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

XFX HD-687A-ZNFC Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ955FBGMBOX

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium

I just wanted some opinions on if I should upgrade my system or if you think it is pretty decent on its own at the moment. The main reason I ask is because I will be getting the Steamlink pretty soon and will be streaming my games to my living room tv which is 46 inches at 1080p. Also when the Valve VR headset comes available I would like to get that as well. Do you think my current set up can run games pretty smoothly or should I look at doing some upgrades?

The types of games I play most are FPS and action games like Portal, Half-Life, Call of Duty, Metro, Assassin's Creed, Far Cry, ARMA 3, Mass Effect, etc.

If you do suggest upgrading, what components should I upgrade, and what should I upgrade it to? I'd like to keep the budget pretty low, but still be able to run things smoothly. Thanks so much for the advice, I really appreciate it!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 08 September 2015 - 02:24 PM

You should be able to play all your current games just fine. Getting a better CPU would help ARMA 3 run smother (ARMA is a CPU hog), but the system is pretty well balanced and upgrading anything would make the rest seem out of place. 

To help with streaming to a steam box, you should be focusing more on your network then your computer. See if your router and desktop are gigabit compatible and if you can run a physical network cable to where-ever the steam link will be. Keeping a gigabit connection all the way to the box from your desktop on at least a CAT5e cable will do you more good then anything else.  The higher rated CAT cable the better is preferred to keep out interference. A nice shielded CAT6 cable is my personal preference for it. 

A stronger CPU might help with streaming out to the box, but we won't know what the actual CPU requirements of the Steam box with be till it's released. 

EDIT:

Said steambox, but meant Steam link Sorry for that.

Also missed the VR headset bit. For the headset you'd need a stronger GPU and CPU. As even minor fluctuations in FPS below a consistent 60fps can give you horrible headaches and make you queasy using a VR headset.

Your RAM and PSU are fine (some people will argue about the PSU, but even the high end GTX980 only lists a 500watt as its recommend requirement). If you really want a smooth VR experience, I'd up your CPU to the FX 8350 (your board says it supports it) and your GPU to at least a NVIDIA GTX 950 or AMD R7 370 to maintain a solid 60fps at all times. 

Edited by SEANIA, 08 September 2015 - 03:14 PM.

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

#3 tiz68

tiz68
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 08 September 2015 - 09:00 PM

Seania, thanks so much for the response I really appreciate it! I've been looking around I think I might just hold off on my upgrades for now until the VR is released and I can see some specs and reviews. It'll give me some time to save some money and I'll have a better idea of what to go for to get good performance.

Edited by tiz68, 08 September 2015 - 09:00 PM.

#4 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 08 September 2015 - 09:24 PM

Yeah VR is really iffy right now and require a million things to be perfect for it to work right.

For instance, frame times are a huge issue with VR and weather or not it feels barfy. It makes it impossible to use any multiplie GPU setup, from playing any game that isn't optimized really well, and using a graphics card that doesn't have really good drivers for the game you're trying to play. The last thing being that unless the game your playing flashes your graphics card brand (AMD, Nvidia, or Intel) at the beginning of the game then you probably can't use VR with it because of the frame timing. 

Plus it'll be 2016 before they come out, and at least another year before you can see if devs will use actually use them for their games and not just tech demos in the form of games. Add yet another year on top of that for devs to use it in tripple A titles (ARMA, COD, Fallout, Crysis, ect). By then you'd probably need to get a new GPU to drive the headset anyways. 

The SteamLink is a nice thing to get if your router/desktop are already gigabit compatible and you just need to wire them. If not, then you'll be streaming the game in 720P to whatever TV.

Edited by SEANIA, 08 September 2015 - 09:34 PM.

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users