Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help me choose next monitor: 144hz 1080, 2k or 4k?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 frldyz

frldyz

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 07 September 2015 - 04:48 PM

Here's my set up
Corsair 760t case
MSI Z97x gaming 3 MOBO
i7 4790k - Non OC
Noctua NH-D14
HGST 4TB HDD for files
Samsung 850 PRO 512gb for O.S and running my programs
Corsair 750w PSU
MSI 970 gaming 4 GPU - Non OC
LG optical drive
Rosewill card reader
kingwin fan controller
Windows 7 64bit
Kaspersky A.V
CC cleaner

This is my 1st build. Let me tell you I had a blast doing this and learned a lot from all of you. Thanks.

I will be running 3 monitors.
Not all 3 monitors will match. But Oh well. Not right away anyways.. Maybe down the road they will.

These are the 3 monitors I have
24" Acer 144hz
And 2 old 19" 60hz monitor that came with a computer @ some point in time.
I am planning to ditch 1 of the 19" monitors.

But I'd like to get a great quality, value, size resolution monitor for the center of my setup.

I was thinking orignaly 27" 1440 overclocked Qnix.
27"+ 1440 60hz
27"+ 2560 <--- that's 4 k right..?)

I built this computer with the intent of challenging myself to build a computer. I did it. And IMHO I did pretty well.
What do I use this computer for...? Mostly internet browsing, internet videos, home pictures and videos ( might like to get into editing home pics and vids. someday...) and right now minimal gaming. But I def. want to get into gaming. How serious and hardcore will I be. Not much.
Can my monitor run 2K or 4K when the other 2 monitors are running 1080?

So heres where Im @?
4k with my setup and 60hz and probally a lower FPS
2k?
or 1080?

Again @ this time I do minimal to most gaming. ( we just had a baby, so I have ZERO free time ). But I would like to dabble in games. But I will not be a hardcore addict either.

-------------------------
I know my computer set-up is overkill for what I do.
I know I have a 144hz monitor and dont do much gaming. <--- but it was on a great sale.

Help me max out my potential from my 970 GPU

Thanks everyone.

Hopefully no bashing please.

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 08 September 2015 - 06:31 PM.
Moved from 'External hardware' to 'system building and upgrading'

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 09 September 2015 - 05:31 AM

You're kind of all over the place in that post, so I'll try to answer what I can.

> 3840 x 2160 is 4K, 2560 x 1440 is 2K

> Whenever possible, for best image quality, I suggest getting an IPS-based monitor.  These have a slower response time, but better picture and viewing angles.

> 4K resolutions on multiple monitors may require multiple graphics cards if you are wanting 60 fps.  Here is a review containing benchmarks for a GTX 980 Ti, a card which is 30% to 40% more powerful than your 970, depending on the game.  Take a look at the resolutions being used in those benchmarks.

> Your GPU can handle all three monitors at once, but 4K gaming may be a bit much.  Many people use multiple monitors at work with far less powerful GPU's, but extending a desktop to have documents or webpages on one and a video on the other is a far different use case than gaming.

> Multiple graphics cards will require a more powerful power supply, your motherboard will also have to allow using multiple graphics cards, too.  My experience with multiple graphics cards isn't a good one all the time.  Games do not always scale well with multi-GPU setups, drivers can be a little wonky, and may require a bit of trial-and-error to get the drivers to work well with some games.

> For monitors, the Acer B276HK YMJDPPRZ Black 27" is nice.  It's a 4K IPS monitor with a good response time, it is only 60Hz though.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users