Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Caught between Windows versions??

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 scldunners

scldunners

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 07 September 2015 - 03:15 PM

Hi There,

I have a Dell 8700 XPS running Windows 8.1 Pro. I have a Dell support tool on the that machine that updated drivers etc. I noticed on Sunday that an update was installed by this tool. Since then (ie from the very next reboot after that update) my system crashes with a c000021a error, not long after logging in (within 5 minutes). It doesn't give me enough time to go into the Dell support tools to see what that update was. I did note that a series of Windows 10 Windows Updates had failed, so I figured it may be in some sort of hallway-house with regard to Windows 10. The machine is stable in safe/diagnostic mode. Usually running Windows Update is a good idea in these situations, so I did and it in fact load Windows 10. Again, stable in safe mode but with normal boot it still gives an error (albeit renamed to "critical Process Died). 

I had only rebuilt this machine 3 months ago and it was fine. Regrettably there are no restore points saved. 

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 08 September 2015 - 04:51 AM

Please provide this information so we can provide a complete analysis (from the Pinned Topic at the top of the forum):  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

If you don't have enough time, then try these steps separately:

Upload Dump Files:
NOTE:  If using a disk cleaning utility, please stop using it while we are troubleshooting your issues.
Please go to C:\Windows\Minidump and zip up the contents of the folder.  Then upload/attach the .zip file with your next post.
Left click on the first minidump file.
Hold down the "Shift" key and left click on the last minidump file.
Right click on the blue highlighted area and select "Send to"
Select "Compressed (zipped) folder" and note where the folder is saved.
Upload that .zip file with your next post.

If you have issues with "Access Denied" errors, try copying the files to your desktop and zipping them up from there.  If it still won't let you zip them up, post back for further advice.

If you don't have anything in that folder, please check in C:\Windows for a file named MEMORY.DMP.  If you find it, zip it up and upload it to a free file hosting service.  Then post the link to it in your topic so that we can download it. 

Also, search your entire hard drive for files ending in .dmp, .mdmp, and .hdmp.  Zip up any that you find and upload them with your next post.

Then, follow the directions here to set your system for Minidumps (much smaller than the MEMORY.DMP file):  http://www.carrona.org/setmini.html
More info on dump file options here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/254649

MSINFO32:
Please go to Start and type in "msinfo32.exe" (without the quotes) and press Enter
Save the report as an .nfo file, then zip up the .nfo file and upload/attach the .zip file with your next post.
Also, save a copy as a .txt file and include it also (it's much more difficult to read, but we have greater success in getting the info from it).

If you're having difficulties with the format, please open an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt and type (or copy/paste) "msinfo32 /nfo %USERPROFILE%\Desktop\TEST.NFO" (without the quotes) and press Enter.  Then navigate to Desktop to retrieve the TEST.NFO file.  If you have difficulties with making this work, please post back.  Then zip up the .nfo file and upload/attach the .zip file with your next post.

systeminfo:
Please open an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt and type (or copy/paste) "systeminfo.exe >%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\systeminfo.txt" (without the quotes) and press Enter.  Then navigate to Desktop to retrieve the syteminfo.txt file.  If you have difficulties with making this work, please post back.  Then zip up the .txt file and upload/attach the .zip file with your next post.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 scldunners

scldunners
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 03:06 AM

Hi There,

Just an update on where I'm am at the moment. I managed to undertake a selective startup and then identified the update that I was suspicious of on Sunday (I'm now fairly sure it was an application called Dell Help & Support). I uninstalled this App. Haven't enough uptime to get to windows update, I would also note that MANY Windows 10 Updates loaded on the now stable PC.

The one caveat I have to all this is that I'm now having trouble actually achieving a 'normal' reboot. I've I select this in msconfig it simply reverts to 'selective' startup. So assistance on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much for your quick reply to my initial Post.

Steve

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 09 September 2015 - 03:21 AM

When choosing Normal Startup in MSConfig, make sure to hit apply. A reboot may be required. While if in selective startup, make sure both 1st and 2nd boxes are ticked namely Load system services and Load startup items. The MSConfig tool may be different in Windows 10 but should be related in functions.

Tekken

#5 scldunners

scldunners
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2015 - 02:43 AM

Hey there,

Yes completely understand what you are saying because I've done that before. Unfortunately even though I specifically select Load Systems Services and Startup items, at the point I click Apply, the tick boxes/Radio buttons just reset back to selective. Very odd!

Steve

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 10 September 2015 - 05:10 AM

I've seen this on systems before.  The first thing to check for is malware.  I'd suggest posting over in the Am I Infected forum:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/
Please read the pinned topics at the top of the forum for instructions on how to post there.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 10 September 2015 - 07:39 PM

The one caveat I have to all this is that I'm now having trouble actually achieving a 'normal' reboot. I've I select this in msconfig it simply reverts to 'selective' startup.

Are there presently some missing windows functions or features and errors while in selective mode? Please follow the instructions provided by usasma to rule out any possible infection at any case.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users