Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Epson perfection 1660 photo wia driver?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Roketto

Roketto

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 07 September 2015 - 03:03 PM

I have a flatbed scanner (an Epson perfection 1660 photo) that I cannot use at all.  I have a manufacturer's disk labeled "Scanner Software", but when I tried to run that, it gave me two different errors, which I'll outline below:

Error Number: 0x80040702

Description: Failed to load dll: OS info

Component Transfer Error:

Component: ICM_2

File Group: _EW_Profiles

File: <szICCPath>\

Error: The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.

So, I uninstalled everything Epson on my PC, & reinserted the disk.  Still got these same two errors.  I Googled my model number & found a driver (located here), installed that, &...nothing.  I can't even find anything Epson-related on my PC at all now.  The scanner shows up under my list of devices & printers, but if I click on it, it says I need a WIA driver to use this device.  I don't know what else to do.  Please help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 07 September 2015 - 03:09 PM

Hello,

I am assuming your OS is Windows 7 32bit.  It looks like there is only the Twain driver but that would not be the driver you need for scanning. I would download VueScan and see if it works for you. It is paid software but worth the price, especially the pro version. 

http://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/epson_perfection_1660.html

#3 Roketto

Roketto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2015 - 05:33 PM

You've got to be kidding me.  You're telling me there's absolutely no way to get my scanner working without shelling out more money?!  This is an outrage.  I might as well just buy a new friggin' scanner... :angry: 

I did download VueScan, but when I realized it put ugly, indeliable watermarks on everything I scanned, that was a no-deal for me.  Screw that, & screw them for preying on people whose machines are still working, but the !$%&^*&^% company doesn't make driver updates for.  I won't give them a penny.

Alright, new question, then.  What's a good flatbed scanner that can accomodate a fairly large sketchbook?  That's all I use it for, & I just want something simple, that won't get screwed up or become obsolete, as this piece of junk has.  I just want nice, clear scans of inked or pencil drawings, with no fuzziness or artifacts, & a simple interface.  Any suggestions?

Edited by Roketto, 07 September 2015 - 05:35 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2015 - 06:45 PM

There are not too many scanner makers now. Canon and Epson are the main ones. Canon has a reputation for providing good drivers. The Canon scanner only can do 8 1/2 by 11.7.  Other than Canon the only thing I can think of is using an all in one printer that includes a scanner. 

I believe the watermarks in Vuescan are only are shown on the demo. Once the license is purchased they goes away.

I may have made a mistake on your OS version.  Is it Windows 7 64bit? If it is there may be a workaround but I have yet to find the hacked driver file.

#5 Roketto

Roketto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2015 - 02:55 PM

Yes, I just checked, & it is Windows 7 64-bit.  I tried looking through drivers from third parties, but I'm super-paranoid about viruses & such, so if you could point me to a safe one, I'd be super-grateful.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2015 - 02:58 PM

I am still looking for that driver but when I find it I will upload it to dropbox and provide the link.

Edit: It's a hacked Vista driver but you can install it by using Windows 7 compatibility mode. 

http://www.vistax64.com/drivers/185132-unofficial-drivers-epson-perfection-1660-scanner.html

I found the direct download link. 

http://www.solidfiles.com/d/bea0b11626/

Running a driver in Compatibility Mode

The driver came up clean on my virus scan but you should scan it and upload it to virus total.

Edited by JohnC_21, 08 September 2015 - 03:06 PM.

#7 Roketto

Roketto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2015 - 03:45 PM

Argh...my Norton Antivirus is automatically removing it; I've tried to download it twice.  Any workarounds for this driver?

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2015 - 03:53 PM

None that I know of. I wonder why Norton flagged it? I uploaded it to Virus total and everything passed it. I can unzip it to a folder and upload it to Dropbox. I can provide the link and you can try downloading again to see if Norton still flags it.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2015 - 04:16 PM

I uploaded it to Dropbox. The first is for the driver as it is shown in an unzipped state. You would need to maintain the same folder structure. The second is the same file zipped but with a password of 12345 so Norton cannot scan the file and delete it before downloading.

Dropbox 1

Dropbox 2

Here is the virustotal link for the zip file

It detected the file as having been previously being scanned using it's hash.

#10 Roketto

Roketto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 03:54 PM

I downloaded it successfully from the second link, & unzipped the file to my desktop.  Installed it, restarted.  There is now an ESON Scan icon on my desktop, but when I click on it, I get a message that says:

EPSON Scan cannot be started.

Please use the Troubleshooting Assistant to solve the problem.

Do you want to open the Troubleshooting assistant?

I opened that, & tried to go through all the things it suggested, but maybe I'm too stupid to figure it out.  I even pulled my computer tower out, unplugged the USB cable for the scanner, & plugged it in at the front of my machine.  Nothing.  So, I'm back to square one.  What now?  By the way, thank you for your patience with me on this; I know I'm an idiot cheapskate & I should just go buy a new scanner, but I'd rather make the one I've got work again, as it's in perfect condition other than the driver issue.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 04:05 PM

Did you try installing the drive in compatibility mode? With scanner plugged in and on is there a yellow exclamation mark in Device Manager?

#12 Roketto

Roketto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 05:28 PM

...I have no idea how to install a driver in compatibility mode.  You may need to walk me through that process, & explain every step like I'm an idiot, because I really don't know how to do stuff like this.  Under Devices & Printers, if I click on the scanner, it gives me the same warning about needing a WIA driver.  I feel like I'm not making any progress at all on this...

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 05:59 PM

Right click Computer > Properties. In the left pane select Device Manager. With the scanner on and attached is there any yellow exclamation mark next to your scanner? 

If there are is no yellow exclamation mark then if possible uninstall the driver in Control Panel > Uninstall.  Install the driver using Compatibility Mode. Select Vista from the list of OS's.

http://ccm.net/faq/24611-installing-a-driver-in-compatibility-mode-in-windows-7

Edit: The WIA driver should have been included in the downloaded file.

Edited by JohnC_21, 11 September 2015 - 06:01 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users