Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying to Reset my Pc and now stuck in loop

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 barbie4364

barbie4364

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 AM

Posted 07 September 2015 - 02:19 PM

My pc is running windows 8.1.  I am trying to just reset it and get it back to the factory settings.

I ran the reset but it failed.  It has now been trying to do the automatic repair, but that is failing.  It just keeps taking me back to the screen to select a reset or refresh.

I found some instructions that said to rename the system to system.001 and software to software.001.  I was able to rename the system but when I try to do the software it says it is unable to rename it because it is being used by another process.

I have a recovery disk that I put in, but I still cant get out of this loop.  It doesn't take me to the desktop it only tries to do the automatic repair.  Not sure what I need to do to get it to use the disk.

Can someone help me to reset my computer?

Thanks!

Lonni

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 07 September 2015 - 02:32 PM

Did the computer originally come with Windows 8 or 8.1?

Is there any data you need to pull from the hard drive such as bookmarks or email? Are you using Microsoft Office on the computer?

If not go here and download the 8.1 media disk that is the same as your version, home or pro. This will let you create an iso,DVD, or bootable USB flash drive. Boot the media and start the install. See this guide on doing a clean install. When it asks for the key select next. When you go online the computer should self-activate after pulling your key from firmware. 

#3 barbie4364

barbie4364
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2015 - 02:36 PM

Hi John!

The computer was originally 8 but I upgraded to 8.1.  I should have all my data backed up so erasing it is not a problem.  I did have Microsoft office on the computer but don't need to have it on there anymore.

Can I still use the link and instructions you provided for 8.1 or do I need to do something else if I started out with 8?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,432 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2015 - 02:41 PM

That link will give you 8.1. No need to install 8 first but you may need drivers after the install. If you see any yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager post back. Or you can download your drivers ahead of time onto a flash drive. What is the make and model of the computer and I can give you a list of drivers to download.

#5 barbie4364

barbie4364
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2015 - 09:12 AM

I was able to download the media disk from the link you gave, and tried to reset again.  I am now getting an error message saying unable to reset your pc a required drive partition is missing.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,432 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2015 - 10:00 AM

You cannot reset the computer as the recovery partition is gone. You need to do a clean install using the guide. The media creator I linked to for Windows 8.1 should give you a 3GB iso, DVD or USB flash drive installer. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users