Well, thanks to some help from Microsoft, and a bit of invention on my part, the problem has now been solved. Microsoft told me, over the phone, how to bring the rules over - export them to a ".rwz" file, and then on the other machine import them from the .rwz file. Doesn't work (the rules give errors, because the target folders aren't there, duh) until you have imported the complicated folder structure from the old system. MS didn't really know how to do that. They set up Outlook 2013 on the new desktop, and then (alas) downloaded all the Inbox files that were still on the server (nearly a thousand, I have it set to leave messages on the server for ten days after downloading). That resulted in a .pst file on the new computer with the name of my primary E-mail address. The same name as the very much bigger file on the laptop. So after a bit of head scratching I closed Outlook on both machines, renamed the .pst file on the new machine, and brought in the .pst file from the old machine using the original name. It took a reboot to get Outlook to recognize the "new" (actually the "old") .pst file. Then I imported the rules (before that, they wouldn't work because the folders specified did not yet exist on the new machine). Took a little tinkering with the rules, but not much (one of them didn't work till I "looked up" the address in the (newly imported) address book. Then to be safe (probably wasn't necessary, because I had shut down Outlook on the "old" computer before starting all this, so there should have been no missing or duplicate entries) I imported the messages from the renamed .pst file that MS had created by downloading all the 900 odd messages from my Inbox. Those messages all came into the Inbox file- (because at the time MS did that, the folder structure had not yet been imported) and "reject duplilcates" had no effect because the "duplicates" were in their proper folders while the ones imported from the renamed .pst file all came into "Inbox". So I still have nearly 1000 duplicate messages that need to be deleted by hand. Oh well. Actually, because I know the date and time at which the imported .pst file stopped, I can safely delete any messages in Inbox, that don't belong there, with older dates/times than that. Still pretty tedious, one at a time, by hand <G>.
Again - activating Outlook on the "new" machine created a .pst file named for my primary E-mail address. The much bigger file on the "old" machine had the same name. So I changed the name of the file on the "new" machine, copied the "old" machine file to the same folder with its original name (the same that the renamed file had originally had), then rebooted, and at that point Outlook recognized the "original" .pst file (the one I had copied from the "old" machine) and hey presto! all the folders were there. Then and only then could I import the rules. Then import the data from the renamed .pst file (probably not necessary or desirable, actually) and run all the rules again to clear out most of the mis-filed entries from the Inbox. That created several hundred duplicates, probably not strictly necessary (see above), but at least nothing got lost.
The address book evidently got carried over as part of the .pst file, at any rate all the new and old addresses are there when I go to write mail.
This sounds worse than it actually was. I felt sorry for the Microsoft tech who was trying to help me. He dumped about 985 unnecessary duplicates into my Inbox, and I'm afraid he probably noticed I wasn't too pleased. OTOH I couldn't have told him differently, until after I myself had figured out how to transfer the data.
The "orthodox" way to do this would have been the other way round, to rename the file imported from the "old" computer and then import all those records into the existing (newly created) .pst file on the "new" computer. Trouble is, the elaborate folder structure would not have been there during the import, and who knows, all those thousands of messages would have landed in the Inbox. Dunno if importing the rules would have worked (definitely not, if the folder structure had not been imported) and if not, an inextricable shambles.
Note that Outlook did not recognize the "new" (old) .pst file until I rebooted. Renaming doesn't do it, you have to reboot after that.
I apologize for wasting anyone's time reading about my fumblings <G>.
Edited by saluqi, 28 September 2015 - 09:42 AM.