Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Transferring bookmarks and e-mails to new computer

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 saluqi

saluqi

• Members
  • 570 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 AM

Posted 07 September 2015 - 02:03 PM

Scenario:  "Old" computer is a Dell laptop running Windows 8.0; "New" computer is a Dell desktop running Windows 7 Professional.  New computer was just set up two days ago.  Both computers use Google Chrome as primary browser.  MS Office 365 is set up on Old computer and has in particular a lot of E-mail data - entire E-mail system transferred from Outlook Express (on a much older computer, now retired).

Problem: I want to transfer all my bookmarks from Chrome to the new computer; install Office 365 on the new computer, and copy the E-mail files there.  I understand the Office 365 license covers up to 5 machines, and up to 5 mobile devices.  At present I have E-mail only on the Old computer and on my Samsung Galaxy S5 smartphone.  The most recent 25 messages appear on the smartphone, but they also appear (and remain) in the Inbox on the Old computer.

I am supposing this is pretty simple, but frankly I have forgotten how to do it.  Can someone please advise?

Thanks for enlightenment!

EDIT

In the meantime, thanks to a very long phone call with Microsoft, I have managed to install Windows 365 Home on the new computer, and to synchronize my various E-mail aliases so they all deliver to the same Inbox.  Am I correct in thinking that to use the E-mail system on the new computer, all I have to do is import the .pst file(s) from the other computer?  Nota bene, to make this happen they had to change the name of my primary Microsoft account.  Mail coming in to my existing Outlook mailbox comes via an Earthlink address, which is now my primary alias in the Outlook.com system.  So I suppose I have to change the Earthlink setup?  The aliases are set up on my already existing Outlook.com account.

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 17 September 2015 - 05:49 PM.
Moved from 'Business applications' to 'Web browsing etc'

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 570 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2015 - 09:08 AM

OK, now Office 365 is installed on the new computer.  I still have to transfer bookmarks and a voluminous, complex mail system (already in Outlook 2013, i.e. Office 365, on the laptop) and I guess the first question is, would it not be better to wait until I have upgraded the new computer to Windows 8.1 before transferring all that stuff?

And of course I am already accumulating bookmarks on the new computer, and don't want to lose those either <G>.

#3 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 570 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2015 - 11:23 PM

Transferring bookmarks and Chrome settings proved painless using the Google synch function.  I had something called, I think, Xmarks, from an earlier transfer on the XP box, dunno how but it turned up as a "helper" or something in Chrome on this new computer.  Found out I didn't need it, it became intrusive, I dumped it (unhitched it from Chrome, after which it became unfindable).  Then disabled Google synch again, because I don't necessarily want everything I do on the desktop to be duplicated on the laptop <G>).

I've also located the 9 GB .pst file containing my Outlook mail data.  Am I correct in thinking all I have to do is copy that to the new computer and tell Outlook where to find it?  I dimly remember that Outlook searches for .pst files and asks you which one(s) you want to use?  The correct one is already labeled with my current primary E-mail address (in the file name).  Once I have E-mail working on the desktop there's no more need for it on the laptop.  I have it on my smartphone, which serves conveniently to scan for specially interesting or urgent items without interfering with their being downloaded to the laptop (or presumably the desktop once that transition is complete).

If I do reply to mail on the smartphone I send a cc: to myself, thus keeping a proper paper trail.  An unfortunate necessity, even in private correspondence, for someone in my position (public officiaL . . .)

#4 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 570 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2015 - 10:54 AM

Clarification: Office 365 is installed on both computers.  The "old" laptop is running Win 8.0; the "new" desktop is running Win 7 Professional.  There is one and only one current .pst file on the "old" laptop - in C:\Users\Jphn\My Documents\Outlook Files\ . . . that .pst file is named "[my primary Email address].pst"

That .pst file contains essentially only E-mail data.  I have as yet hardly used any of the other Outlook functions (calendar, appointments and so on).

I have been using Outlook on the "old" laptop for several months.  It has therefore accumulated quite a few addresses, in addition to those I loaded in via a .csv file exported from my old Win XP/Outlook Express setup on the now retired former desktop.  I do not know offhand where those addresses are stored.  In the .pst file?  or somewhere else in the system?  Do I suppose correctly that the old Windows Address Book .wab file format is no longer used?

I have so far not opened Outlook at all on the "new" desktop.  It is my intention to transfer all E-mail operations to the desktop, so I have all downloaded E-mail files in one place.  I can browse, read (and sometimes reply to) E-mail on my smartphone without affecting the integrity of the mail files on my chosen "main" computer, i.e. the desktop.

The above clarifications are prompted by the results of a Google search on how to transfer Outlook files.  Most of the answers I found there applied to transferring data from one Outlook versiion to another, or from other mail software to Outlook.  In  this case I have the same Outlook version on both computers.

Most of the descriptions of how to "migrate" Outlook files involve importing records (and not importing duplicates) from an "old" .pst file into a "new" but existing one just created by a new installation of Outlook.  Well, I can do that of course.  Question arising, though, if I start Outlook on the "new" desktop, thereby creating a nearly empty .pst file, can I not just replace that file with the "old" .pst file copied from the "old" computer?

Thanks for enlightenment.  i know these are somewhat stupid questions, but please have patience with the ignorance of an old man <G>

#5 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 570 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2015 - 06:39 PM

Further clarification: I need also to transfer the mail account settings (servers, passwords etc.) and the rules by which incoming mail is sorted into the many folders I have.  Reproducing all those settings "by hand" would be a long and painful process . . . there are nearly 100 folders, each with its own filter settings, which don't work correctly unless entered in the correct sequence.

I've spent quite a bit of time Googling my way through various explanations, from Microsoft and other sites, and unfortunately I'm still a bit uncertain what I have to do.  My now fuzzy recollection is that I had to do everything "by hand" when transferring my mail files from Outlook Express to Outlook 2007 (on the old XP computer) and again when transferring them from Outlook 2007 (on the XP box) to Outlook 2013 (on the laptop).  I am hoping this time to avoid that process, which took weeks to complete.

#6 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 570 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2015 - 09:37 AM

Well, thanks to some help from Microsoft, and a bit of invention on my part, the problem has now been solved.  Microsoft told me, over the phone, how to bring the rules over - export them to a ".rwz" file, and then on the other machine import them from the .rwz file.  Doesn't work (the rules give errors, because the target folders aren't there, duh) until you have imported the complicated folder structure from the old system.  MS didn't really know how to do that.  They set up Outlook 2013 on the new desktop, and then (alas) downloaded all the Inbox files that were still on the server (nearly a thousand, I have it set to leave messages on the server for ten days after downloading).  That resulted in a .pst file on the new computer with the name of my primary E-mail address.  The same name as the very much bigger file on the laptop.  So after a bit of head scratching I closed Outlook on both machines, renamed the .pst file on the new machine, and brought in the .pst file from the old machine using the original name.  It took a reboot to get Outlook to recognize the "new" (actually the "old") .pst file.  Then I imported the rules (before that, they wouldn't work because the folders specified did not yet exist on the new machine).  Took a little tinkering with the rules, but not much (one of them didn't work till I "looked up" the address in the (newly imported) address book.  Then to be safe (probably wasn't necessary, because I had shut down Outlook on the "old" computer before starting all this, so there should have been no missing or duplicate entries) I imported the messages from the renamed .pst file that MS had created by downloading all the 900 odd messages from my Inbox.  Those messages all came into the Inbox file- (because at the time MS did that, the folder structure had not yet been imported) and "reject duplilcates" had no effect because the "duplicates" were in their proper folders while the ones imported from the renamed .pst file all came into "Inbox".  So I still have nearly 1000 duplicate messages that need to be deleted by hand.  Oh well.  Actually, because I know the date and time at which the imported .pst file stopped, I can safely delete any messages in Inbox, that don't belong there, with older dates/times than that.  Still pretty tedious, one at a time, by hand <G>.

Again - activating Outlook on the "new" machine created a .pst file named for my primary E-mail address.  The much bigger file on the "old" machine had the same name.  So I changed the name of the file on the "new" machine, copied the "old" machine file to the same folder with its original name (the same that the renamed file had originally had), then rebooted, and at that point Outlook recognized the "original" .pst file (the one I had copied from the "old" machine) and hey presto! all the folders were there.  Then and only then could I import the rules.  Then import the data from the renamed .pst file (probably not necessary or desirable, actually) and run all the rules again to clear out most of the mis-filed entries from the Inbox.  That created several hundred duplicates, probably not strictly necessary (see above), but at least nothing got lost.

The address book evidently got carried over as part of the .pst file, at any rate all the new and old addresses are there when I go to write mail.

This sounds worse than it actually was.  I felt sorry for the Microsoft tech who was trying to help me.  He dumped about 985 unnecessary duplicates into my Inbox, and I'm afraid he probably noticed I wasn't too pleased.  OTOH I couldn't have told him differently, until after I myself had figured out how to transfer the data.

The "orthodox" way to do this would have been the other way round, to rename the file imported from the "old" computer and then import all those records into the existing (newly created) .pst file on the "new" computer.  Trouble is, the elaborate folder structure would not have been there during the import, and who knows, all those thousands of messages would have landed in the Inbox.  Dunno if importing the rules would have worked (definitely not, if  the folder structure had not been imported) and if not, an inextricable shambles.

Note that Outlook did not recognize the "new" (old) .pst file until I rebooted.  Renaming doesn't do it, you have to reboot after that.

I apologize for wasting anyone's time reading about my fumblings <G>.

Edited by saluqi, 28 September 2015 - 09:42 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users