Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Flash videos show white box, youtube videos functional

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 LibertyOrDeath

LibertyOrDeath

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 07 September 2015 - 01:58 PM

Hi guys,

I have just re-formatted my windows7 for the second time in about a week. everything is working as intended with exception to online flash videos. Youtube videos are functioning, because they are using HTML5 i suspect.

An interesting note: upon reformat and installing of my mobo drivers, i installed Avast AV and then went to animefreak.tv to check the functionality of my flash player. I was able to watch the latest episodes of Naruto Shippuden and then i got back to installing security addons for my Firefox browser. After doing this, my flash player is not opening videos on that same website i just mentioned, nor on primewire.ag (which i used without problems up until my re-format about a week ago).

I have not installed any WindowsUpdates, as right now i'm not sure that i won't re-format again to try this all over to eliminate this problem.

I am playing Star Trek Online right now, it is operating just fine, all other functions of my OS seem to be OK, just this flash video issue is all the problem that i can detect at the moment. I use my PC for browsing the web, investigating government intrusion into personal rights mainly, and also for recreation like video games and the aforementioned movie and anime viewing..

I suspect that my security addons to Firefox might be getting in the way of my flash video viewing.. I currently have 'play DRM content' disabled as snooping and tracking are my mortal enemies online..

I use Windows7 Home Premium,

Asus mobo

Firefox browser

firefox extensions: adblock plus, adblock plus popup addon, down them all, ghostery, noscript, popup controller, video downloadhelper, youtube high definition, avast security (disabled), and realplayer browser record plugin (disabled)

firefox plugins: openH264 codec from firefox, shockwave flash, vlc web plugin, intel identity protection technology (there are 2 of these in the list) Nvidia 3D Vision, Nvidia 3D VISION (a second copy but with capital lettering on 'vision'), RealJukebox NS Plugin, Realnetworks™ Chrome Background Extension, realPlayer Download Plugin, RealPlayer™ G2 LiveConnect-Enabled Plugin (32bit), Realplayer™ HTML5VideoShim Plugin (32bit), adobe acrobat (disabled), and ArcPlugin (disabled)

I hope that this wall of text is helpful rather than wasteful for you, and I greatly appreciate any help that you guys can render me.

my thanks in advance-

LibertyOrDeath

Edited by hamluis, 08 September 2015 - 07:46 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Web Browsing/Email - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 09 September 2015 - 07:06 AM

I'd start by disabling NoScript.

#3 LibertyOrDeath

LibertyOrDeath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 01:23 PM

Thank you for replying, but noscript was never the problem. Since posting this thread and not recieving any replys, I redoubled my efforts to track down the enemy in my system, and I found it via about:plugins.

In that plugins info screen I saw that 'Arc Plugin' (snuck onto my system by downloading Star Trek Online and Arc) was the culprit. I have nuked that trash and it has stopped disabling and removing Flash Player from my PC. I told the support staff at Arc that they will lose the trust of their consumers this way and they have recieved other reports for this same issue. they are working on a solution to the faulty programming and hopefully will not sneak malicious code onto people's browsers in the future.

on a side note- noscript is the best addon available for browsers perhaps next to adblock plus in my opinion. I'd not go without it.

Thanks again for being willing to assist, and I hope you have a good day-

LibertyOrDeath

#4 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 01:47 PM

NoScript was only a suggestion. It can cause problems on websites if not properly configured.

Glad you found the culprit. :thumbup2:

#5 LibertyOrDeath

LibertyOrDeath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 02:16 PM

Yes you're definitely right about that. and thank you :)

#6 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 09 September 2015 - 03:33 PM

In general when using noscript you have to allow certain sites when you want to play videos, but you don't have to turn it off entirely, you can still have it blocking other scripts from other sites as long as the sites which are providing the scripts needed fro the video are allowed or temporarily allowed. I use noscript myself.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#7 LibertyOrDeath

LibertyOrDeath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 04:28 PM

In general when using noscript you have to allow certain sites when you want to play videos, but you don't have to turn it off entirely, you can still have it blocking other scripts from other sites as long as the sites which are providing the scripts needed fro the video are allowed or temporarily allowed. I use noscript myself.

yea it's a really great addon, I generally go to any unfamiliar website and just ban every script with 'ad******whatever' in the name and also 86 all the 5 or more google snooping scripts on all sites. It's really made browsing a no fear operation for me

#8 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 04:35 PM

Don't forget Adblock Plus or uBlock Origin. :thumbup2:

#9 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 10 September 2015 - 11:41 AM

In my experience adblock plus and noscript work well together in firefox.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#10 LibertyOrDeath

LibertyOrDeath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2015 - 01:42 AM

In my experience adblock plus and noscript work well together in firefox.

yes I've been quite happy with them both too ^^

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users