Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP sp3 installation fails with "Data is invalid"

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 PetarSickey

PetarSickey

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 07 September 2015 - 01:22 PM

The svcpack.log which is in C:\Windows is kind of long but I just want to find out what the last few lines of it mean, here they are (notice the line "UpdSpCommitFileQueue for FileQueue failed 0xd", anyone know what this means?):

389.047: Copied file:  C:\WINDOWS\system32\rasauto.dll
389.063: Copied file:  C:\WINDOWS\system32\rasapi32.dll
389.250: Copied file:  C:\WINDOWS\system32\printui.dll
389.297: Copied file:  C:\WINDOWS\system32\perfctrs.dll
389.360: Copied file:  C:\WINDOWS\system32\olecnv32.dll
389.656: DoInstllation: UpdSpCommitFileQueue for FileQueue failed: 0xd
391.953: Unregistration of sprecovr successful
392.250: The data is invalid.
420.813: Message displayed to the user: The data is invalid.
420.813: User Input: OK
420.828: Service Pack 3 installation did not complete.

Select 'OK' to undo the changes that have been made.
426.063: Message displayed to the user: Service Pack 3 installation did not complete.

Select 'OK' to undo the

changes that have been made.
426.063: User Input: OK
426.078: Starting process:  C:\WINDOWS\$NtServicePackUninstall$\spuninst\spuninst.exe /~ -u -z
782.906: Software Update Rollback has completed with return code 0xbc2.  This rollback requires a reboot.
782.906: Service Pack 3 installation did not complete.

Windows XP has been partially updated and may not work properly.
789.563: Message displayed to the user: Service Pack 3 installation did not complete.

Windows XP has been partially updated and may not work properly.
789.563: User Input: OK
789.563: Update.exe extended error code = 0xd
789.563: Update.exe return code was masked to 0x643 for MSI custom action compliance.
Shutdown Initiated in Self Extractor

I'm guessing that perhaps something is running that I need to shut down.

Edited by PetarSickey, 07 September 2015 - 01:56 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2015 - 01:02 PM

This is just the SP3 update that failed and not an OS install, correct? On a failure like this do not do SP3  from update or using the exe file. Download the iso file and burn it to disk using something like Imgburn. Then run the setup from the disk.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=25129

#3 PetarSickey

PetarSickey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 07:31 AM

This is just the SP3 update that failed and not an OS install, correct? On a failure like this do not do SP3  from update or using the exe file. Download the iso file and burn it to disk using something like Imgburn. Then run the setup from the disk.

I have the burned iso version of sp3.  My hesitation to use it is that the OS install does not run the same as an update.  It looks like an original OS install and it's sort of clunky in the user interface and I don't see that nice, smooth rollback if something goes wrong.  Mi might try it but why wouldn't the sp3 update from the .exe fun correct;ly?  There shouldn't be a difference between the two methods.  What will I do if the installtion from CD fails?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 07:41 AM

The iso I linked to is not the OS. It is a disk to install SP3. All files are expanded on the disk.  If you do not wish to use the iso file there is also the standalone installer of SP3 here. It's one exe file. Double click it in an admin account.

If you are afraid something may go wrong first create a full disk image to an external drive using Macrium Reflect Free or Aoemi Backupper Standard. Both will create a bootable disk or USB that you can use to restore the image if something goes wrong. After you make the bootable disk or USB boot with it and make sure it detects your hard drives including your external drive. 

Edit: Do you have the install disk of XP with the same service pack as what is currently installed? You may want to open a command prompt in an admin account and type

sfc /scannow     This will look for any missing or corrupt system files. Before the SP3 install I would also do a defrag if it has not already been done. And, disable your antivirus.

Edited by JohnC_21, 09 September 2015 - 07:44 AM.

#5 PetarSickey

PetarSickey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 08:01 AM

I have the burned iso version of sp3.  My hesitation to use it is that the OS install does not run the same as an update.  It looks like an original OS install and it's sort of clunky in the user interface and I don't see that nice, smooth rollback if something goes wrong.  Mi might try it but why wouldn't the sp3 update from the .exe fun correct;ly?  There shouldn't be a difference between the two methods.  What will I do if the installtion from CD fails?

I'm downloading from the above link ...

#6 PetarSickey

PetarSickey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 08:05 AM

The iso I linked to is not the OS. It is a disk to install SP3. All files are expanded on the disk.  If you do not wish to use the iso file there is also the standalone installer of SP3 here. It's one exe file. Double click it in an admin account.

If you are afraid something may go wrong first create a full disk image to an external drive using Macrium Reflect Free or Aoemi Backupper Standard. Both will create a bootable disk or USB that you can use to restore the image if something goes wrong. After you make the bootable disk or USB boot with it and make sure it detects your hard drives including your external drive. 

Edit: Do you have the install disk of XP with the same service pack as what is currently installed? You may want to open a command prompt in an admin account and type

sfc /scannow     This will look for any missing or corrupt system files. Before the SP3 install I would also do a defrag if it has not already been done. And, disable your antivirus.

The standalone installer is the way I'm trying to debug.  It gets most of the way through and then you see the error message I posted.  I want that method to work but perhaps I need to go into safe mode for some reason.  But I want to know that the specific error is.  I'm not the type who glosses over things - what exact file is not copying and why?  What does FileQueue and all that stuff mean?  Exactly, then I need to fix the exact problem.  Does it think I left my network card out even though I disacled it.  I can't find my network card.

I might just order anew network card fo the same type - same drivers

Edited by PetarSickey, 09 September 2015 - 08:10 AM.

#7 PetarSickey

PetarSickey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 08:09 AM

The standalone installer is the way I'm trying to debug.  It gets most of the way through and then you see the error message I posted.  I want that method to work but perhaps I need to go into safe mode for some reason.  But I want to know that the specific error is.  I'm not the type who glosses over things - what exact file is not copying and why?  What does FileQueue and all that stuff mean?  Exactly, then I need to fix the exact problem.  Does it think I left my network card out even though I disacled it.  I can't find my network card.

Why doesn't the Microsoft installer say what file "Data is invalid" is associated with?  Who's the bozo the clown who wrote it?

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 08:39 AM

I am not exactly sure what the problem is but a poster had problems installing the exe SP3. I linked him to the iso file and using that he was able to successfully update.

It's always best to create a full disk image before doing something like a SP upgrade. However small a chance, things can go wrong. 

#9 PetarSickey

PetarSickey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 08:44 AM

I am not exactly sure what the problem is but a poster had problems installing the exe SP3. I linked him to the iso file and using that he was able to successfully update.

It's always best to create a full disk image before doing something like a SP upgrade. However small a chance, things can go wrong. 

I guess I'll try it that way.  So if I do it that way, it will just look like an OS Install, is that right?  Like, it will ask me which is the partition I want to install it on?  Too much details?

Edited by PetarSickey, 09 September 2015 - 08:45 AM.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 08:54 AM

It's been awhile but I believe there is a setup.exe file on the disk after the iso is burned. I usually use Imgburn to burn an iso to disk and use a speed no faster than 4X.

#11 PetarSickey

PetarSickey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 09:03 AM

If you get a chance, can you check, do the files look like the below pic.jpg on the cd?  I've already burnt a CD witth the below file structure.  I could do it again or just run the CD - I call this a slipstream install?  Is that what it's called?.

Attached Files

• Attached File  Pic.JPG   21.87KB   0 downloads

Edited by PetarSickey, 09 September 2015 - 09:04 AM.

#12 PetarSickey

PetarSickey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 09:13 AM

The purpose of my upgrading to sp3 is to solve the constant Mozilla browser crashes that have occured since I added memory to my

computer. I will start looking at the crash reports.  It appears to be TCP/IP/winsock related though - could be a network adapter issue

I've never really gotten at the heart of it - those reports will help greatly to pinpoint the problem..

Edited by PetarSickey, 09 September 2015 - 09:14 AM.

#13 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 09 September 2015 - 09:25 AM

Did you install Net Framework 3.5?  I just did two fresh XP Pro 32-bit installs late June or early July, and I had the separate disk for SP3 which I bought from MSFT (cheaper than my time lost downloading).  It completed alright, but still couldn't run without Net Framework 3.5, so I downloaded only that.  The issue only arose on my later laptop.  The earlier one didn't need Framework.

But then, my machines are not networked, so the above paragraph might be irrelevant to you.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 09:29 AM

That file structure in post #11 looks correct. Yes, slipstreaming is what it is called but this would be used for doing a clean install of the OS. You can use the exe file of SP3 and Autostreamer to do it easily. nlite also works but you need .NET on the computer to run it.

#15 PetarSickey

PetarSickey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 09:42 AM

Did you install Net Framework 3.5?  I just did two fresh XP Pro 32-bit installs late June or early July, and I had the separate disk for SP3 which I bought from MSFT (cheaper than my time lost downloading).  It completed alright, but still couldn't run without Net Framework 3.5, so I downloaded only that.  The issue only arose on my later laptop.  The earlier one didn't need Framework.

But then, my machines are not networked, so the above paragraph might be irrelevant to you.

No, I have not yet installed Net Framework 3.5.  Would you recommend I do that and if so, where do I get this thing.  I am running Windows XP sp2

right now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users