Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

hard drive replacement

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 pdg70

pdg70

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 07 September 2015 - 12:29 PM

I have bought a new hard drive to replace the failed drive in my lenovo G570 laptop.

I thought i had the installation disks but can't find them, is there anyway i can download them?

I can still start my computer in safe mode, can i save everything i need on to a usb stick and use it on the new hard drive?

As you can probably tell i'm not quite sure what i need to do without the disk, any help greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Paul

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 AM

Posted 07 September 2015 - 02:46 PM

Hi Paul

Important question:  What is the size (in gigs) of your former HDD, and of the new HDD you purchased?

Next: do you have an external drive that is the same size as your former HDD?

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 pdg70

pdg70
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2015 - 10:42 AM

Hi ranchhand_ thanks for getting back to me.

I thought the original HDD was 500Gb but looking up the specs it says they were 750Gb, however when i open Explorer and look at my computer it says C drive is 421gb and D drive is 28.9gb.

The new hdd is 500gb, i don't have an external storage the same size but can buy one if it saves me the cost of a new laptop.

Can i simply save the contents of the C and D drives to an external hdd, replace the old hdd with the new one and then copy what i need from the external? If so, i won't need to save everything externally as i have already backed up all my documents onto an external hdd. What would i need from the C and D drive? Currently have the following folders;

C drive

AdwCleaner

Firefox

Intel

PerfLogs

Program Files

Program files (x86)

temp

Users

Windows

D drive

97ae59ad0fb6286f657c31fbc952b05c

Application

drivers

bootsqm

DUMP7f2d.tmp

DUMP8ad1.tmp

Or have i jumped the gun and oversimplified it?

Cheers

Paul

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,710 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2015 - 12:57 PM

I am a bit unclear about your setup.

have bought a new hard drive to replace the failed drive in my lenovo G570 laptop

Ok, so we are dealing with two (2) physical HDDs here, right?  You say that your laptop HDD failed. However, you also say that you can boot into Windows in Safe Mode. So...it sounds like your HDD did not fail, but has an operating system corruption that prevents booting into Windows normally. The word "fail" means that the drive "broke" mechanically and will not run any more at all. That is a mechanical fail.

C drive is 421gb and D drive is 28.9gb.

I take it that there are two (2) partitions on the same Laptop HDD, C and D. However, there is only one (1) physical HDD?  If you take 421gigs + 29gigs, that totals 449 gigs which is the proper size of a single 500gig HDD. So your lap HDD is actually a 500gig HDD. This confuses lots of people, because they expect that when they purchase a 500gig HDD they find it loses about 30-50gigs when installed. That has to do with the way the space is measured, one way by the manufacturer and a different way in realtime. I won't go into all the details about that but you can search it and find tons of explanations on the web.

Last question: when did this all start? Was there a electrical failure in the house while the computer was running, or an electical spike, or it was turned off in the middle of running a program, etc.? And finally, what operating system are you running?

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#5 pdg70

pdg70
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 08:51 AM

thanks ranching, yes, 1 physical HDD with 2 partitions. I bought a new hdd to replace the one in the laptop but haven't fitted it yet.

I can boot into safe mode with networking, i don't remember there being a trigger that caused this, just turned my laptop on one day and it didn't get past the windows logo screen. I spoke to darnel on here previously who gave me a few things to try but eventually recommended the new hdd, i've only just got round to trying to fix it.

The previous conversations with darnel are here;

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/580153/windows-7-wont-start/

I'm running windows7

#6 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,710 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 04:26 PM

In your link to the previous postings you had, you mentioned that you had just run a utility called "Registry Mechanic" and then the problems started. Just FYI....never run any program that advertises itself as a "system cleaner", or "registery cleaner and optimizer", or "all-in-one fix anything on your computer".  I have never seen one yet that didn't eventually trash or damage the operating system. The registry and system32 sections are wayyyy too complex for an automated program to go in and "fix it", "clean it" or "make it better".  I strongly suspect that is your problem. If your drive has failed mechanically you would not be able to enter safe mode, but evidently you can. Registry Mechanic probably removed some key registry entries and trashed your system. Your drive, mechanically, is probably fine if you can enter safe mode with no problems.

So....do you want to try and fix this drive, or would you like to set up your new drive and then try to transfer files form the old drive to the new one? I will say that if the registery is damaged in your old drive, I am not sure that it can be fixed. I have attempted "fixing" badly corrupted registries in the past with poor results and these "registry cleaners" that are out there can really screw the registry royally. 

Both these drives are 500gig, right?

#7 pdg70

pdg70
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 07:43 AM

Both drives (old still in the machine, new still in the packaging) are 500gig. I have a 500gig external hard drive.

I may as well set up the new one seeing as i have all the hardware i need? But i don't have any disks to install the OS, etc. Is all that stuff held on the D drive partition?

#8 pdg70

pdg70
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 01:47 PM

I found this procedure online to Restore the computer to the default factory configuration - is it worth trying or will it not fix the registry? Also, my laptop has a one key recovery button which it seems i can use instead of the on button - it also wipes my C drive but i've saved that anyway, is that worth trying too?

· 1. Restart the computer

· To do this, click Start, click the arrow next to the Lock button, and then click Restart.

· 2. As the computer restarts, press the F8 key until the Advanced Boot Options menu appears on the screen.
· Note: You must press F8 before the Windows logo appears on the screen. If you press F8 after the Windows logo appears, the Advanced Boot Options menu does not appear on the screen. If you do not see the Advanced Boot Options menu, restart the computer, and then repeat this step until you see the menu on the screen.
3. Press the Down arrow to select Repair Your Computer on the Advanced Boot Options menu, and then press Enter. 
4. Specify the language settings that you want, and then click Next. 
5. Log in as a user who has administrative privileges and click OK. 
6. Click Lenovo Factory Image Restore. 
7. In the Lenovo Factory Image Restore window, click Next. 
8. Check the box saying Yes, reformat the hard drive and restore system software to factory conditions. 
9. Click Next. The computer is restored to the default factory configuration. 

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 11 September 2015 - 02:49 PM

Restoring to factory defaults...wipes everything and reinstalls Windows just as it was when you first acquired/purchased the system.

Any file problems which may exist currently...will be wiped away...new registry, new Windows files.

If you restore...please go to Windows Update and reinstall all critical updates...ASAP.

Louis

#10 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,710 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 06:44 PM

@pdg70: 

Ok, I am about ready to start. First, Are you sure that there isn't a restore partition on your HDD? (It may have been nuked when you set the extra partition on your HDD). That would be the easiest. Usually an F-key if pressed on boot to access the partition. If you do not, then we will try to reinstall your Windows 7 OS using your key number. Please have your key number ready, it should be on  a sticker somewhere on the computer (do not post that number here for security reasons). Without that key number we are dead in the water and cannot do anything at all short of purchasing a retail copy of Windows.  Please post the version of your Windows 7 (home, basic, ultimate, etc.) and also the make & model of your computer, as well as any other ID numbers such as serial #s. If it is an HP, also find the model number. We will try to use a vanilla version of Windows, and apply your legal key number to activate it.

As an alternative, you can contact your manufacturer, and for approximately $30 (plus or minus) they usually will supply you a disc(s) of your model to reinstall Windows, which will include the system and chipset drivers. One of these methods should work.

[EDIT]: I assume that you are going to use your new HDD for the installation; if you are going to use your old one, all data will be lost so if you want to retrieve data now is the time to do it.

Edited by ranchhand_, 12 September 2015 - 08:00 AM.

#11 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,710 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2015 - 08:24 AM

Since it has been 5 days and you haven't posted back, I will assume that you are no longer interested so I am removing the shortcut to this thread; if you wish to continue, PM me.

#12 pdg70

pdg70
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2015 - 04:54 PM

Apologies ranchhand, i got sidetracked with some other stuff.
I have been copying over the rest of my C drive and i have 2 folders called Users and Windows, they add up to around 100gig of data. I know this is probably the king of daft questions but will i need these?

I'm guessing the restore partition is the D drive? I think i just want to try the onekeyrecovery but i need to be sure i've got everything i need off the C drive before it gets wiped, do i need to save the 100gigs in Users and Windows folders?

#13 Bailifei

Bailifei

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 15 September 2015 - 08:59 PM

U can create a winpe bootable USB with free easeus partition manager. boot from it to directly copy the old hard drive to the new one. since you got an external hard drive, you'd better save some files on that, just in case the new disk is not big enough to take all the data.

#14 pdg70

pdg70
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2015 - 05:24 AM

Thanks for all the advice but i need the info in the simplest terms.

I've saved all my data onto an external disk drive. Can i go ahead and do the one key recovery or do i need recovery disks? If i need a recovery disk how do i make one? Do i just copy all the files from my C drive? 

Also the files in the C drive folders 'Users' and 'Windows' - do i need to save these to an external hdd or will they be wiped and reinstated during the one key recovery process?

Apologies if i've over simplified or missed something but i just need to know if i can go ahead and do it now i've saved all my personal data.

#15 pdg70

pdg70
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2015 - 05:33 AM

You know what i started to follow the procedure i found further up this post. I got as far as stage 6 where it told me to 'Click Lenovo Factory Image Restore'

The closest option i had was select a system image back up but when i clicked on this it told me 'Windows cannot find a system image on this computer' and asked me to insert a back up disk, which i guess is what you guys have been telling me to do.

In the simplest terms possible, how do i create the back up? Is it from files on the C drive?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users