Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please Wait... After Lock Screen

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 CaveStoryKing64

CaveStoryKing64

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 07 September 2015 - 10:51 AM

Hello, and I desperately need some help with my HP Envy 15 Notebook PC. I have owned it for almost a year, and recently I had upgraded my Desktop computer to the Pro version of Windows 8.1. This notebook had come with the core edition of Windows 8.1. So, I decided to use my product key on this PC, so I could have the Pro version of Windows. I had forgotten that only one PC can use a product key at a time, so it deactivated my windows. Because of this, I backed-up all of my files to a Passport Ultra. Then, I restored my computer to factory defaults. After setting my PC up again. It said I could upgrade to Windows 10. I did, and didn't like it, so I went back to 8.1. After this, I decided to take all of the stuff I had backed up and upload it back to my computer. I took my Software.reg file from the back-up and whenever double clicking it, it just said that it couldn't be exported to the registry. So I decided to copy-paste it there. Then, I wanted to listen to the music I had backed up, so I uploaded it to my PC and it appeared. I looked at artists, then back at music. It was gone. I should've just relaunched Windows Media Player, but I rebooted. Then, after the reboot, I was greeted with a Please Wait... I did, and 30 secs. later, I was greeted to the lock screen. I swiped up, expecting to see a password prompt, but I didn't. I got another Please Wait... I did, and 30 secs. later, back at the lock screen. I was wondering how I could fix this. I will be very grateful to whoever does, and I will constantly be online. (I really want my PC back.) Thank You.

Sincerely,

Dylan Knowles

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2015 - 05:58 PM

It sounds to me like you have done way too much in the way of modifications to this system.

Start with the system that had the original OS on it. It's not legal to move that copy to the other system if the OS came with the first system.
The only time you can move the OS like that is if you've purchased a full retail copy separate from the system.

Next, the product key may be blocked by Microsoft - and you'll have to contact them to explain and see if they'll unblock it.

To do this, install the original OS on the original computer and try to activate it.  The best way to do this is with the original HP recovery partition or HP recovery disks/drive.

If it activates, you're good.  If it doesn't, it may give you a phone number to call for telephone activation - use it and be patient and poiite.  The techs on the line will do their best to help you.

DO NOT attempt to merge any registry keys (or .reg files).  This will probably not work, and will most likely result in corrupting the system

Once that's done, copy the contents of the Users\Your Profile Name\Music folder to the new Music folder on the system.

Ask here before trying to merge anything else.

Oh, and set a System Restore point just to be safe.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 CaveStoryKing64

CaveStoryKing64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2015 - 02:49 PM

It sounds to me like you have done way too much in the way of modifications to this system.

Start with the system that had the original OS on it. It's not legal to move that copy to the other system if the OS came with the first system.
The only time you can move the OS like that is if you've purchased a full retail copy separate from the system.

Next, the product key may be blocked by Microsoft - and you'll have to contact them to explain and see if they'll unblock it.

To do this, install the original OS on the original computer and try to activate it.  The best way to do this is with the original HP recovery partition or HP recovery disks/drive.

If it activates, you're good.  If it doesn't, it may give you a phone number to call for telephone activation - use it and be patient and poiite.  The techs on the line will do their best to help you.

DO NOT attempt to merge any registry keys (or .reg files).  This will probably not work, and will most likely result in corrupting the system

Once that's done, copy the contents of the Users\Your Profile Name\Music folder to the new Music folder on the system.

Ask here before trying to merge anything else.

Oh, and set a System Restore point just to be safe.

First of all, my desktop came with windows 8.1 core. I then bought a key to upgrade it to 8.1 pro. I then tried to use the key on my laptop, and the original post says the rest. Second of all, my windows laptop has already been activated due to me resetting my computer back to factory defaults. At the moment, I do not care about getting 8.1 pro on my laptop, only being able to login to my laptop. Also, I can no longer access the File Explorer to copy the contents of the Users\Your Profile Name\Music folder to the new Music folder on my laptop, as I cannot even login. Thank you for your assistance, and sorry for the late reply.

Edited by CaveStoryKing64, 08 September 2015 - 02:50 PM.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2015 - 04:56 PM

OK, then let's focus on recovering your music for now.

Can you slave the old hard drive to your new computer?  You may need an adapter cable to do this, but it would be the simplest way.

If you can't do that, then you'll need a bootable disk/drive with a Live OS on it that will let you copy to an external drive (and you'll need an external drive)

You can use a Live Linux distro, or a Live Windows disk like this:  http://www.livecd.com/

That will allow you to copy the music to the external drive, then you can move the external drive to your new computer and copy the Music from that.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 CaveStoryKing64

CaveStoryKing64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 04:50 PM

OK, then let's focus on recovering your music for now.
Can you slave the old hard drive to your new computer?  You may need an adapter cable to do this, but it would be the simplest way.

If you can't do that, then you'll need a bootable disk/drive with a Live OS on it that will let you copy to an external drive (and you'll need an external drive)
You can use a Live Linux distro, or a Live Windows disk like this:  http://www.livecd.com/

That will allow you to copy the music to the external drive, then you can move the external drive to your new computer and copy the Music from that.

Thanks! I used the slave method, and it worked perfectly! I am glad that when my PC is back i'll have all my Music since I had several Gigabytes worth of it. (I'm a biig music person) So, now that that's out of the way, how can I fix my PC from this Please Wait... problem?

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 05:29 PM

Is there anything else that you need to save from the system?

If not, the quickest and easiest way would be to restore the system using the Recovery Partition (if it still exists).

To do this, turn the computer on.  When the "Esc - Pause Startup" message shows up, either press Esc or press F11 (that's the recovery key).

It should start the recovery process - then just let it restore the system to the factory default.

There's several options after this depending on which way you'd like to go with it.

For example, if it's W8, you'll have to update to W8.1

But then you'll have to choose if you'd like to update to W10 or not.

FYI - the cleaner/newer the installation is, the more likely it is that an upgrade/update will be successful.

Good luck!

Edited by usasma, 09 September 2015 - 05:29 PM.

#7 CaveStoryKing64

CaveStoryKing64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 08:26 PM

Is there anything else that you need to save from the system?
If not, the quickest and easiest way would be to restore the system using the Recovery Partition (if it still exists).
To do this, turn the computer on.  When the "Esc - Pause Startup" message shows up, either press Esc or press F11 (that's the recovery key).
It should start the recovery process - then just let it restore the system to the factory default.

There's several options after this depending on which way you'd like to go with it.
For example, if it's W8, you'll have to update to W8.1
But then you'll have to choose if you'd like to update to W10 or not.
FYI - the cleaner/newer the installation is, the more likely it is that an upgrade/update will be successful.

Good luck!

Thank you! There is nothing else that I need to save on the system. However, I am confused as to what you mean by the "Esc - Pause Startup" message. I have never gotten any massage that says that and if you would like to explain exactly what that means it would be much appreciated. By the way, thank you. This has been such a relief. I though my computer was gone forever.

Edited by CaveStoryKing64, 09 September 2015 - 09:40 PM.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2015 - 05:07 AM

On most HP's, as they are first booting there will be a text message in the lower left corner of the screen that says "Esc - Pause Startup"

If you don't have it, it doesn't matter as the Esc (and F11) should work anyway.

#9 CaveStoryKing64

CaveStoryKing64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2015 - 07:04 PM

On most HP's, as they are first booting there will be a text message in the lower left corner of the screen that says "Esc - Pause Startup"

If you don't have it, it doesn't matter as the Esc (and F11) should work anyway.

Sorry for not replying. I have been very busy lately. Anyway, I did what you said. I actually do see the Esc- Pause Startup, but it only appeared for an extremely short time. But no matter, I just turned my PC on and immediately press Esc and it booted me into the Recovery Partition. I am now restoring my PC to Factory Defaults. So far, it's working perfectly, and is currently at 45%. Thank you so much. I asked someone on Microsoft Community, and he wasn't able to fix this. I have talked to many other people, and you were the only one able to help me. Thank you so much. You have been such a relief. I'll keep you posted.

#10 CaveStoryKing64

CaveStoryKing64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2015 - 09:33 PM

I just got back from eating at a restaurant and my Laptop prompted me to set it up. I did, and now I am typing this very post on it. Thank you, this solved my problem. How do I mark this as resolved? 
:thumbup2:

Edited by CaveStoryKing64, 13 September 2015 - 12:05 PM.

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2015 - 04:33 PM

No need to mark it as resolved - it just stays here with your nice comments :0)

Occasionally a new person will post here with a similar problem - and we'll gently try to direct them to make their own topic.

#12 CaveStoryKing64

CaveStoryKing64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2015 - 05:03 PM

No need to mark it as resolved - it just stays here with your nice comments :0)

Occasionally a new person will post here with a similar problem - and we'll gently try to direct them to make their own topic.

Thank you SO much! Oh, this has been such a relief. I have given you special thanks here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/590234/let-me-introduce-myself/

Thanks again. I think you deserve an advisor rank. Well, that's all the help I needed, so I guess there's no need to reply again.

~~~~

Dylan Knowles

Edited by CaveStoryKing64, 14 September 2015 - 05:04 PM.

#13 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2015 - 07:59 PM

Thanks again for the kind words - but I'm happy with the rank that I have now.

I have no desire to be in charge of anything, nor an official representative of any place - I'm happy just helping people to fix their computers :0)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users