Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Will my CPU bottleneck with this GPU?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 errorx777

errorx777

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 07 September 2015 - 10:25 AM

Basically, i have a fairly old gaming rig. I dont want to put the money into upgrading the whole thing, so im hoping to just buy a new graphics card that will work with the system as is. It has a Intel Quad Core 9550 @2.8ghz 12mb cache & 8gb of DDR2 800mhz RAM, Not the latest and greatest but it still handles itself even by todays standards. Now the graphics card i want to buy and use with the system is a R9 380 4gb. More specific details with this newegg Item#: N82E16814127878.

Also, i got forgot to note that my psu is around 450-480w.. ( have to go back and check but im pretty sure thats the range)

Will i need a psu with more wattage?

So what do you all think? im not willing to upgrade for the time being, and im hoping this gpu will be compatible with my cpu, with no bottlenecking or anything of the nature.

Thanks for hearing me out, much appreciated.

Edited by errorx777, 07 September 2015 - 10:41 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2015 - 10:48 AM

Even though that CPU is pretty old.. you should be fine. Games that the GPU can max may add more strain on the CPU but I don't think you'll see too much noticeable bottlenecking with it. I have a i5 2500k paired with a GTX 980. I can max any game on the market right now and I don't have any performance issues. The CPU does like to get near max utilization though.. but it isn't too big a deal.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#3 errorx777

errorx777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2015 - 03:37 PM

Thank you for the help. Now i dont have to worry about it. And besides, when the times comes, ill be ready to upgrade in the future and ill already have a sweet gpu ahead of time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users