Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 small office network help

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ianhaney

ianhaney

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 07 September 2015 - 09:45 AM

Hi

I have a small office with 3 pc's in and need to network them all together so we can share files etc over the network, on Windows 7, it worked fine then but now on Windows 10 it don't seem to work, the pc's are on private network and all connected via ethernet cables going from the each PC into one network hub with ethernet ports, it keeps saying enter your network credentials but not sure what they are and did not have to enter them in when we was all on Windows 7

I found out that my PC and the second PC is Windows 10 Home and the PC that is being used as the server called OFFICESERVER-PC is running Windows 10 Pro, would that make a difference?

Can anyone help please

Thank you in advance

Kind regards

Ian

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 07 September 2015 - 10:29 AM

One is Home and one is Pro could make the difference

First, try creating a workgroup and password protecting it

Now connect to the workgroup using your Windows 10 Home machine, and now enable sharing and test by sharing a file

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

#3 ianhaney

ianhaney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2015 - 11:10 AM

Hi CKing

Thank you for the reply, appreciate it

I will try that first thing when at the office tomorrow morning and post the outcome of it

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 07 September 2015 - 02:02 PM

The other thing I would suggest is looking on the web for articles on the differences in security of 7 and 10.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2015 - 02:21 PM

This article on Windows Credentials should help. It's for 8.1 but should also pertain to Windows 10. In Credentials you need to enter the name of the computer you are trying to connect to and username.  Computername\UserName  and the password of the user.

Also make sure that Find Device and Content is switched to on under Ethernet.

#6 ianhaney

ianhaney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2015 - 03:31 AM

I have just got in the office and checked the find device and content and is switched on, I also went into the windows credentials and edited the username and the password and that didn't work so deleted it and then added it again and still don't work

I am tempted to go back to windows 7

#7 ianhaney

ianhaney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2015 - 07:51 AM

Think I got it sorted

it was because the computer called OFFICESERVER-PC did not have a password and in Windows 10, they want you to enter a password to access the computer

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2015 - 12:05 PM

Check this page concerning Windows 10 homegroup issues. You may want to delete Homegroup from all computers. Turn off all computers. Reboot one and create a new HomeGroup. Boot one computer have it join the Homegroup. Do the rest one at a time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users