Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet service "in wrong room"

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 awkwardturtle

awkwardturtle

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 07 September 2015 - 12:24 AM

I just moved into a new apartment, and the previous tenants had three separate lines (?) set up. When we called to have our internet service switched to the new place, it was sent to one of three CABLE lines, the one being in my roommate's room.

We need it "switched" to the livingroom so I can connect an ethernet cable to the router for my PC, which does not have a wifi chip.

Is there a way I can move it to the livingroom's cable line, without getting our ISP involved?
(Sorry is this is already in the forums, I honestly have no idea what terminology applies for this situation...)

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 07 September 2015 - 02:19 PM

Try it. Just because the setup is in one room doesn't mean it won't work in another. If you have a coax cable out in the LR, just take the modem and it's power plug out there and see if it works. If no coax cable take it too. If success then no ISP needed, if not....you'll need to call them.

I have a feeling it will work because it's not a normal thing for each room mate getting their own internet connection. Altho, it would save lots of issues of bandwidth hogs lol.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 07 September 2015 - 09:28 PM

As CaveDweller2 said, odds are they are all connected, especially in an apartment. 

#4 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 08 September 2015 - 12:28 PM

Coax cable is not normally run in series like telephone wire.  It is usually home runned to a cable rack like network cabling is.

Ideally the superintendent of the building could let you into the room with the cable rack.  Should be labeled by apt# and room so it should be easy to connect the room line you want to the active connection.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/36-home-v-distribution/1236120-coax-rg6-distribution-panels-there-such-thing.html

Edited by Wand3r3r, 08 September 2015 - 12:31 PM.

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 12 September 2015 - 06:20 PM

Wand3r3r, coax for an apartment building is normally one line in and then split in the unit.  The cable company does not want to come out because you decided to rearrange the furniture or move your television to a different room. If there is a place to manage cabling it would be in a closet or utility room.

Edited by Kilroy, 12 September 2015 - 06:20 PM.

#6 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 14 September 2015 - 03:36 PM

Kilroy one line in is when the building has been retrofitted with cable access.  When cable is built in it goes to a cable management closet as you have described.  Since the OPs description indicates three different lines these either go to a cable management closet or to a splitter outside the unit which should be easy to find if the cables are on the outside of the building.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users