Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hidden Network?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 mrb5162

mrb5162

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 06 September 2015 - 11:08 PM

Where is this coming from?

Attached Files

Edited by mrb5162, 06 September 2015 - 11:12 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 07 September 2015 - 08:01 AM

No way to find out where it is coming from.

It is nothing to worry about.

When a network is set up there are 2 options:

1) Broadcast the name of the network, which means that network name will show up in the list of available networks.

2) Do not broadcast the name of the network.  For example, someone set up network and named it ABCXYZ.

That person does not want anyone to know the name of the network. He/she sets it up as Do Not Broadcast. When that happens it becomes Hidden Network.

#3 mrb5162

mrb5162
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2015 - 05:01 PM

So does that mean that someone in the neighborhood or vicinity has set up a network that he doesn't want anyone to know the name? So even though I can see the network the name is hidden? Because I do occasionally see this and other networks. How do I set mine up as a Do Not Broadcast so no one can see MY network name? 

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 07 September 2015 - 07:14 PM

Yes, that is what it means-set up so no one can see the actual name of the network. 

You have to set up do not broadcast in your router settings.

If you need help with doing so, post the manufacturer and model number of your router OR gateway (modem/router combo) unit.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 07 September 2015 - 07:15 PM.

#5 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 07 September 2015 - 08:24 PM

In general terms, normally on the Wireless setup page of your router there is a place to enter the SSID and a check box or something about broadcasting it. More specific instructions would take the info Queen-Eve requested. But if you setup your wireless, you'll know the page I mean.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#6 mrb5162

mrb5162
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2015 - 12:00 AM

Could a hidden network ever be an intrusion of any kind?

#7 Nikhil_CV

Nikhil_CV

Vestibulum Bleep

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 08 September 2015 - 01:55 AM

That depends on if you decide to connect to it or not.
Since the hidden network is actually not welcoming any connections from outsiders, the owner of the network may consider your connection as intrusion attempt.
Access points(the devices which create the wireless network) themselves do not attempt to connect to host machine, its the host machines that attempt to connect to access points.

Just the network being listed on your machine's scan doesn't cause any problem to them or you.
Its just like any other wireless networks in the proximity.

Its a general advice not to connect to any unknown or open networks without caution.
Regards : CV                                                                                                    There is no ONE TOUCH key to security!
                                                                                                                                       Be alert and vigilant....!
                                                                                                                                  Always have a Backup Plan!!! Because human idiotism doesn't have a cure! Stop highlighting!
                                                     Questions are to be asked, it helps you, me and others.  Knowledge is power, only when its shared to others.            :radioactive: signature contents © cv and Someone....... :wink:

#8 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 08 September 2015 - 10:15 AM

What you see is a name just like the others.  Just because it says "hidden network" does not mean it is.  It is not hidden since you can see it !!! 

When you set a wifi router to not broadcast the SSID then it does not show up in the list of local wifi networks at all.

A wifi network can never "intrude".  You have to intrude it as in you connect to it. 

Connecting to unknown wifi hot spots/ open networks can be used to hack your devices via that connection.

#9 mrb5162

mrb5162
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2015 - 12:06 PM

That depends on if you decide to connect to it or not.
Since the hidden network is actually not welcoming any connections from outsiders, the owner of the network may consider your connection as intrusion attempt.
Access points(the devices which create the wireless network) themselves do not attempt to connect to host machine, its the host machines that attempt to connect to access points.

Just the network being listed on your machine's scan doesn't cause any problem to them or you.
Its just like any other wireless networks in the proximity.

Its a general advice not to connect to any unknown or open networks without caution.

That's a really good point! I never really thought of it that way even though it seems pretty obvious. I may be paranoid but when someone hides something, anything, I am suspicious. Not just with computers. I watch for anything suspicious because I've been hacked before, and I have weird things happening. But that's another topic  :mellow:

CV-

Can I just tell you I LOVE your quotes at the bottom of your posts. Can I use them? :)

#10 mrb5162

mrb5162
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2015 - 12:14 PM

What you see is a name just like the others.  Just because it says "hidden network" does not mean it is.  It is not hidden since you can see it !!! 

When you set a wifi router to not broadcast the SSID then it does not show up in the list of local wifi networks at all.

A wifi network can never "intrude".  You have to intrude it as in you connect to it. 

Connecting to unknown wifi hot spots/ open networks can be used to hack your devices via that connection.

Also an excellent point. But can I clarify something? You said if you set your router to Not Broadcast, the SSID doesn't show up on your list of local networks. Why does this show up on mine? Isn't the logical assumption, then, that this person has the SSID named HIDDEN NETWORK? If so that's a weird thing to do, no? 

#11 mrb5162

mrb5162
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2015 - 12:23 PM

Also an excellent point. But can I clarify something? You said if you set your router to Not Broadcast, the SSID doesn't show up on your list of local networks. Why does this show up on mine? Isn't the logical assumption, then, that this person has the SSID named HIDDEN NETWORK? If so that's a weird thing to do, no? 

I should say "if someone sets their router to Not Broadcast....."  I'm not referring to myself setting up a router, my router is set to "Normal"  :) The HIDDEN NETWORK is someone else broadcasting an SSID and showing up on my list of local networks. Their router is apparently set to not broadcast, or they have an unusual SSID (in my opinion). Sorry, I feel that I didn't say that quite right. Certainly don't want to cause any more confusion!

#12 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 08 September 2015 - 12:34 PM

"Their router is apparently set to not broadcast, or they have an unusual SSID (in my opinion)."

My point is they ARE broadcasting their SSID.  SSID can be anything you want to name it.  From my view its someone's sense of humor. Pretty funny to have a network labeled "hidden" when it is not.

Seemed like everyone was caught up on the word "hidden" thinking it was actually hidden when it is not hidden at all.

#13 Nikhil_CV

Nikhil_CV

Vestibulum Bleep

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 08 September 2015 - 01:09 PM

Ha ha ... :lol:

Thats the thing you're seeing... Someone went crazy in your neighbourhood..

Somethings to read:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2052158/5-wi-fi-security-myths-you-must-abandon-now.html

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/28653/debunking-myths-is-hiding-your-wireless-ssid-really-more-secure/

Can I just tell you I LOVE your quotes at the bottom of your posts. Can I use them?

Dont try to copypaste it. Just try to derive something of yourown from those lines....

Its the 'signature' area and I like to keep it as the name says... :)

Edited by Nikhil_CV, 08 September 2015 - 01:36 PM.

Regards : CV                                                                                                    There is no ONE TOUCH key to security!
                                                                                                                                       Be alert and vigilant....!
                                                                                                                                  Always have a Backup Plan!!! Because human idiotism doesn't have a cure! Stop highlighting!
                                                     Questions are to be asked, it helps you, me and others.  Knowledge is power, only when its shared to others.            :radioactive: signature contents © cv and Someone....... :wink:

#14 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2015 - 11:41 PM

I have one in my neighbor hood list his is listed as hidden but it is acktually a open unsecured network.

A secured network you will not be able to connect to unless you know the password that however takes a bit of work; knowledge and the right tools. That is what is called hacking.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

#15 mrb5162

mrb5162
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 12:53 AM

I have one in my neighbor hood list his is listed as hidden but it is acktually a open unsecured network.

A secured network you will not be able to connect to unless you know the password that however takes a bit of work; knowledge and the right tools. That is what is called hacking.

Nikhil_CV

What do you think of Dannyboy950's comment? I'm not exactly sure how the unsecure/secure part fits in unless I am interested in connecting to it, right? I'm interested in what you think.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users