Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malware infecting a program?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 06 September 2015 - 07:06 PM

What are the odds of malware infecting a whole program. I have some high dollar programs that I can not afford to replace anymore that I would like to save from the computer before i wipe it. Autocad type programs etc.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nikhil_CV

Nikhil_CV

Vestibulum Bleep

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 06 September 2015 - 11:30 PM

Hi,
Malware/infections like file infector viruses (eg: Win Sality) does the job by infecting the executable files and related libraries. Once such infection occurs, you cannot remove all traces of the infection and restore back the system to normal stage unless you had imaged the drive before infection had occurred.

Ref: https://www.virusbtn.com/resources/glossary/file_infector_virus.xml[/url]
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/513281/how-powerful-are-file-infector-viruses/
http://www.virusradar.com/en/glossary/file-viruses

The point highlight here and for any infection is BACKUP PLANS...... backup backup backup.... so you're not sorry later.
High dollar assists should be secured and backuoed probably offline.

Hope it helps :)

Edited by Nikhil_CV, 06 September 2015 - 11:33 PM.

Regards : CV                                                                                                    There is no ONE TOUCH key to security!
                                                                                                                                       Be alert and vigilant....!
                                                                                                                                  Always have a Backup Plan!!! Because human idiotism doesn't have a cure! Stop highlighting!
                                                     Questions are to be asked, it helps you, me and others.  Knowledge is power, only when its shared to others.            :radioactive: signature contents © cv and Someone....... :wink:

#3 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2015 - 11:19 AM

The only problem with that if you did not know you are infected and your back ups will also be infected in some way.

I had one computer that I thought I had 4 years of backups only to find every cd/dvd was blank.

#4 Nikhil_CV

Nikhil_CV

Vestibulum Bleep

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 07 September 2015 - 02:52 PM

The only problem with that if you did not know you are infected and your back ups will also be infected in some way.

Well,

Usage of a good antivirus - antimalware and safe usage practice is the first line of defence.

And your intelligence is never replacable....

In a business environment, its a must to have a good protection suite, whether it is custom collection of tools/software or premade one.

I had one computer that I thought I had 4 years of backups only to find every cd/dvd was blank.

You should verify the backup before archiving it.

Edited by Nikhil_CV, 07 September 2015 - 02:54 PM.

Regards : CV                                                                                                    There is no ONE TOUCH key to security!
                                                                                                                                       Be alert and vigilant....!
                                                                                                                                  Always have a Backup Plan!!! Because human idiotism doesn't have a cure! Stop highlighting!
                                                     Questions are to be asked, it helps you, me and others.  Knowledge is power, only when its shared to others.            :radioactive: signature contents © cv and Someone....... :wink:

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 07 September 2015 - 06:45 PM

Usually when a computer is infected with malware there most likely will be other obvious indications (signs of infection) that something is wrong.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2015 - 07:07 PM

Yea hind sight is always better than fore sight. Lesson learned the hard way.

Unknown to me one of the first things infected/corrupted was my back up software. HPsimple backup. Yea I know not  one of the best.

I had it automatically back up on a schedual.

#7 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,685 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 11 September 2015 - 04:41 PM

In the past, when I used AutoCAD professionally, it came on a DVD. What's your installation medium for AutoCAD?

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#8 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2015 - 11:43 AM

Sadly I lost the origional dvd years ago.  When you have to evacuate for as many storms as I have things tend to get lost or destroyed.

#9 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,685 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 12 September 2015 - 01:02 PM

So you no longer have installation medium or setup files for AutoCAD?

AutoCAD is a complex application, you can not just copy the AutoCAD program folder from one machine to another machine. It will not work. For example, DLLs need to be registered.

So even if AutoCAD is not infected, a copy of the program folder will not help you.

What version of Windows is on this machine?

If you go in the control panel to install/remove programs, is AutoCAD listed there? And if so, when you right-click AutoCAD, do you just have the option to uninstall it? Or also to repair it?

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users