Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why not to switch

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 JimmyKarter

JimmyKarter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 06 September 2015 - 06:49 PM

This is a compilation of reasons to not  switch to W10

Here is someone's post I found that can very well convince someone to not upgrade

Excuse the cursing... It's not quite my post. But anyways, this thread should be a why-not-to-upgrade post compilation. In my opinion, there are lots of good reasons to not switch...

Furthermore, having heard all the horror stories of W10 upgrade glitches and hearing nothing from Microsoft's end about "sorry", I'd also say if you're going to upgrade- don't do it now at least.

Just did a Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit upgrade to Windows 10.

Damn they have all the bullbleep added into the start buttons window.

And there seems to be no way to turn the bleep off....

I really don't want Twitter, Groovtube, weather, or anything else that sucks up my internet bandwidth, and cpu resources running in the background just so I can hit the start button and get add's like I was log'd into a bleep Xbox Console.

http://liliputing.co...start-menu.html

Right Click on each one (there are a few) and choose UNPIN... Still doesn't stop the bleep from running in the background sucking up resources, you just no longer see it sucking up resources....

Oh and why can't I turn off the "Give microsoft your information so they can share it with other companies, and give you ad's".

I don't want ad's... I bleep HATE AD's

If I wanted Advertisements... I would use Something other the Chrome or Firefox with AdBlock, Flashblock, and Script Block.

And I would probably use an Xbox More ( I bleep hate getting AD's on that thing and I sure as bleep don't want them on my PC).

But for the people that want crap in there start menu (by default), and a fugly Explorer theme, along with Microsoft certified ad's and other assorted bullbleep... Windows 10 just might be for you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,200 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2015 - 06:55 PM

Another compilation of biased reasons to not switch to Windows 10. If at least it was well present and put forward, it would have more credibility. Now it just looks like someone is mad about Windows 10 and/or doesn't know how to manage his system properly.

Damn they have all the bullbleep added into the start buttons window.

Unpin them.

Right Click on each one (there are a few) and choose UNPIN... Still doesn't stop the bleep from running in the background sucking up resources, you just no longer see it sucking up resources....

Uninstall the apps or remove them from start-up.

Oh and why can't I turn off the "Give microsoft your information so they can share it with other companies, and give you ad's".

Where is that option exactly?

But for the people that want crap in there start menu (by default), and a fugly Explorer theme, along with Microsoft certified ad's and other assorted bullbleep... Windows 10 just might be for you.

Biased generalization.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Norseman143

Norseman143

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 06 September 2015 - 06:56 PM

I upgraded from 8.1 to 10

I dont use Cortina and some of the other new features. But 10 has been running great

All my programs transferred over smoothly

I almost feel guilty because I dont have any issues

But to be fair, My PC was almost brand new, when I switched to 10

#4 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2015 - 11:54 PM

You're not alone, Norseman.  After the bleeping build 10130 I was incorrectly told would go fine, the later 10162 build did go fine, all the way through 10240 the release, and it activated.  Separate from the 8.1 which was in a separate partition.  No issues, since Dell didn't need proprietary drivers in the bare-metal install of 8.1, so I knew the separate partition install of 10 would go well.

Users can't get that ease from that download tool.  They have to install over an existing Windows first, which is why there are so many borked installs.

Edited by brainout, 06 September 2015 - 11:55 PM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#5 Artbuc

Artbuc

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2015 - 03:04 AM

I upgraded from 8.1 to 10

I dont use Cortina and some of the other new features. But 10 has been running great

All my programs transferred over smoothly

I almost feel guilty because I dont have any issues

But to be fair, My PC was almost brand new, when I switched to 10

Ditto except: (1) I did have a couple issues which were easily corrected and really too minor to mention and (2) my PC is a relic...7-8 year old HP a1600n.

I really like 10. It is fast and eliminated a couple annoying issues I had with 7. Edge opens one of my bank's monthly statements which IE would not and I like getting the message indicating it is ok to disconnect USB device. For some reason I could not get that message on 7 even though my SIL got it and she runs 7 on a HP older than mine.

Edited by Artbuc, 07 September 2015 - 03:12 AM.

#6 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2015 - 04:10 AM

JimmyKarter, we're not answering you as you posted for your OP.  So here's mine, which everyone here at BC already knows and doesn't want to hear much more about, so I'll just give you a link for the details.  Exhaustive link is here, including the pro's, but mostly many con's I gathered from all over the internet, including live videos so you can see the OS in action.  But frankly you'd do better searching here in BC, as this topic has come up many times in the past month.

Put simply, don't update if:

* you like what you got, as Win10 doesn't have any compelling superior new stuff;

* you don't want to lose what you got, because that's the only way you can update to 10, is to lose it all: they try to keep it, but it doesn't work 50% of the time, and there's a 50/50 chance you lose everything if you don't clone prior to updating.

*you don't have a week to spare to spend on installing and tweaking the new OS, which removes many customization options away and is still very much like Win8, very little like Win7, with what many consider a very childish and dysfunctional interface.

* PRIVACY is signed away and MSFT reserves the right to slurp your whole OFFLINE content and POLICE it. That is my big objection, link here (and I won't elaborate in this forum, have done it already).  However, if you take the following steps to protect your contact with others, and you otherwise like Windows 10 (and there is much to recommend it if you can't stand Windows 8) -- then, this privacy issue is minimized.

And of course you know, I'm just a poster like you, only been posting here for two months, so my views are NOT the official position of BleepingComputer (if there is an official position, I don't know).

Edited by brainout, 07 September 2015 - 04:16 AM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#7 rick1947

rick1947

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 07 September 2015 - 11:21 AM

Hello All,

I am a 1st time poster and am looking for info to help decide abt upping to Win10 on two machines.  

I am currently running Win7 64bit Pro on a virtual PC machine (VMware Fusion on a MacBookPro, 15" early 20011, 16 G RAM and 750G HDD, OS X Yosemite, 10.10.5).  I like Win7 except current install has a screwed up task manager in that all I can get is the CPU performance view (minor issue, too lazy to research and fix).

My wife just bought a HP 15-ab063-cl laptop running Win 8.1, 12G RAM, 1T HD.

What and where can I learn the quickest and safest approach to upgrading - OR - Not?

I am also interested in any info abt older Windows programs running on Win10 like:

Quicken 2013, MS Office 2010, PhotoShop Essentials 2.0, Quick Verse 8.0, Dragon Naturally Speaking 11.5.

Thanks

Edited by rick1947, 07 September 2015 - 11:54 AM.

#8 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 912 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2015 - 05:39 PM

Hi rick1947, :welcome: to BC.

It might be a good idea to start your own topic where you will get answers to specific questions.

Regards........

#9 Artbuc

Artbuc

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2015 - 05:57 PM

deleted

Edited by Artbuc, 07 September 2015 - 06:03 PM.

#10 Artbuc

Artbuc

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2015 - 06:05 PM

* you don't want to lose what you got, because that's the only way you can update to 10, is to lose it all: they try to keep it, but it doesn't work 50% of the time, and there's a 50/50 chance you lose everything if you don't clone prior to updating.

How can this possibly be true? If 50% of the people upgrading lost everything it would be major headline news.

Edited by Artbuc, 07 September 2015 - 06:05 PM.

#11 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2015 - 07:34 PM

Artbuc, I'm going by the reviews and comments, and it IS big news.  Maybe you've not had time to read all the articles and reviews and comments.  I have to do that, right now.  Look at tenforums, wilderssecurity forums, anandtech, Amazon reviews by joe average installers, new egg, the magazines (especially the latest Ed Bott article in ZDnet with over 500 comments, maybe 50 of them mine).

I have to compile a legal opinion for my clients about Win10, and it is negative solely for distinct legal reasons; which, I've posted many times and won't repeat here.   Am drafting it right now, for them.

But here, the focus is solely on the installs: This past MONTH I've been monitoring what folks' experiences have been, all over the internet, including here in BC.  My own final installation experiences are not at issue, and I already recorded those in the pinned topic here in BC re install experiences, where many borked installs are also reported.

It is always been a problem to install the new OS atop the old, every tech knows that;  they knew it 20 years ago, and my very first Windows 95 machine was a borked install trying to do inplace upgrade to Win98.  So in that sense, it's no news at all.  Your savvy techs do clean installs.

Just Google, in other words, on 'Windows 10 installation problems'.  Then you'll see it's all over the internet, as indeed EVERY time a new Win OS comes out.  It's EXPECTED.  Here, the incidence is higher than normal.

So I'm just reporting results.  That is all.

Edited by brainout, 07 September 2015 - 07:40 PM.

#12 Artbuc

Artbuc

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2015 - 07:38 PM

Artbuc, I'm going by the reviews and comments, and it IS big news.  Maybe you've not had time to read all the articles and reviews and comments.  I have to do that, right now.  Look at tenforums, wilderssecurity forums, anandtech, Amazon reviews by joe average installers, new egg, the magazines (especially the latest Ed Bott article in ZDnet with over 500 comments, maybe 50 of them mine).

I have to compile a legal opinion for my clients about Win10, and it is negative, which I've posted many times and won't repeat here.   Am drafting it right now, for them.

But here, the focus is solely on the installs: This past MONTH I've been monitoring what folks' experiences have been, all over the internet, including here in BC.  My own final installation experiences are not at issue, and I already recorded those in the pinned topic here in BC re install experiences, where many borked installs are also reported.

It is always benn a problem to install the new OS atop the old, every tech knows that;  they knew it 20 years ago, and my very first Windows 95 machine was a borked install trying to do inplace upgrade to Win98.  So in that sense, it's no news at all.  Your savvy techs do clean installs.

Just Google, in other words, on 'Windows 10 installation problems'.  Then you'll see it's all over the internet, as indeed EVERY time a new Win OS comes out.  It's EXPECTED.  Here, the incidence is higher than normal.

Thanks. Worse than Apple's roll-out of IOS 8?

#13 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2015 - 09:34 PM

Artbuc, I really don't know.  I'm a Windows junkie, not an Apple person. :grinner:

#14 rick1947

rick1947

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 07 September 2015 - 09:51 PM

Thanks All,

Based on what you folks have led me to, your input, along with other blogs on BC . . . I think I will wait a few months and an at least a couple of updates be for I venture into this swamp.

#15 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2015 - 10:42 PM

Well, rick, wait a minute:  just because there are a lot of bad things, doesn't mean they will happen to you, and doesn't mean they are bad for you.  For you, might have a good experience with it.  From what I've seen, the good/bad experience ratio is 50:50.  I'm against Win10, but my personal experience with it, was good.

So how do YOU decide for YOURSELF? Litmus is two fold:  1) is there something about your computer setup now which is causing you a lot of trouble?  If 'yes', then Win10 might be right for you.  2) is there a way you can protect sensitive data since there is a real risk of it being on a Win10 machine?  If 'yes', then you can afford to test Win10.

Now, you can become an Insider, and if the 'deal' for the new Insiders is the same as what we older Insiders had, then you can install Win10 clean to a separate partition.  If so, then you do not lose your current machine's features and functions, so you can test Win10 separately and apart from any confidential data you might otherwise maintain.

That way you can individually weigh the advantages and disadvantages for yourself.  That's the only way to really know.  Hearsay by others at best helps you realize what the variables are.   Inevitably, you have to investigate the source for yourself.

Edited by brainout, 07 September 2015 - 10:45 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users