Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Motherboard Slowly Dieing

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jawknee912

jawknee912

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 16 July 2006 - 04:42 AM

About a month ago the PS/2 port for my mouse went out on my motherboard. Then about two weeks ago my on-board sound went out. Now my keyboard port just went out...... All of these things have happened while I was operating the computer doing tasks such as surfing the internet or watching a .wmv. It's an HP Pavilion to which I have added a video card (7900GT), audio card (creative audigy 2), a new power supply (Antec Truepower 550W). I have also moved it to a new case and I think that may be the problem. The thing is I would imagine that these would show up right after I messed with the system, not slowly over time. Any ideas? Should I be worries that my motherboard is going to die completely???

Edited by jawknee912, 16 July 2006 - 04:43 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Gothmog

Gothmog

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 16 July 2006 - 07:17 AM

when you say "went out" do they come back on a later reboot? What kind of mobo is it?

#3 jawknee912

jawknee912
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2006 - 10:54 AM

no they havnt come back at all. The motherboard is a MSI RS482M2 according to Everest.

#4 DaveM59

DaveM59

Bleepin' Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 16 July 2006 - 12:28 PM

If you think the problems may be connected with a new case, the first thing I would ask is whether you used the brass and/or plastic standoffs when you installed the mobo in the new case. It's possible you may be getting short circuits between the motherboard and the case.

The way to test is to pull the motherboard out of the case. Set it on a sheet of plastic or cardboard and reconnect the KB, mouse, PSU, HD, memory and graphics card. If your peripherals now work, you have found your solution. If not I'm afraid your motherboard may be croaking.

#5 jawknee912

jawknee912
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2006 - 07:58 PM

the mouse and sound went out before the new case. the keyboard was afterwards. I also used the standoffs so I dont think that's the problem...

#6 MexicoTech

MexicoTech

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2006 - 08:23 PM

The suggestion of testing the motherboard (some of the readers may not understand MoBo) separately is good, but be aware that some forms of plastic are well known to harbor huge amounts of static electricity. You might as well set it on a well combed cat. Seriously though, do be careful this way as static electricity can and will damage some circuitry. Perhaps the best surface is clean, dry wood. Such as a piece of scrap plywood or a cutting board. Additionally, cardboard works. If your home has nice thick rugs and you have been shocked by grabbing a grounded patio door, do yourself a favor and touch the kitchen or bathroom faucet before handling the computer innerds.

While you have your mobo out, look over the bottom of it as well as the top. Look very carefully. If you see scorch marks--such as from a grounding situation--it is probably toast. Motherboards are extremely sensitive. The later the board, the greater the sensitivity. This is due to sizing. As these products mature and gain in both speed and ability, they are still restricted by size. Notice that they have not become larger? Look how much performance and speed is built into something less than an inch thick as in a notebook (what I currently use here in Mexico) This is possible only because electrical and electronic standards as well as the processes used to create these miracles of our age have improved dramatically since my first 4.12 MHz 8086. In fact, the motherboard is smaller.

So now, rather than being more compact and hence less reliable, the reliability has increased dramatically! The problem is that the sensitivity to abuse has also increased. This is because the thickness of the circuitry has reduced as the closeness of individual lines to one another. Poke a skinny lil' pin into a modern mother board and it's likely cooked. Other than that, these things are tough, long lasting, and incredibly well designed. Like they say, practice makes perfect.

Gotta go, the dinosewer special is on the Discovery channel here in La Paz, and with my air conditioner in the shop, I need the pleasant distraction.

By, by..., and keep the shiny side up :thumbsup:

#7 Gothmog

Gothmog

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2006 - 01:41 AM

it sounds like it is defective and not long for this world. how long have you had this board before it started failing? Check the MSI warranty policy if it is a new board.

on the bright side of things, if you end up replacing the board socket 939 should drop in price as AM2 becomes the new AMD standard

#8 jawknee912

jawknee912
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2006 - 03:59 AM

ive had the computer since march. sadly its an hp media center and ive opened and tinkered with it many times thus voiding the warranty.

#9 Gothmog

Gothmog

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2006 - 04:49 AM

do they really void the warranty because you open the case? It wouldn't hurt to try and get a replacement. less than 6 months is pretty short for a mobo lifespan.

based on the MSI warranty page you should be able to replace it thru manufacturer's warranty if not by HP or wherever you bought it. It looks like you may have to pay to ship it to MSI once you get a RMA. There is contact info at the bottom of the warranty page to get an RMA etc. I had to replace a Seagate HD in warranty once and it was worth the automated phone machines and waiting for a representative ;)

Edited by Gothmog, 18 July 2006 - 04:50 AM.

#10 jawknee912

jawknee912
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2006 - 07:40 PM

thanks for the info gothmog, ill check into it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users