Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

W7 Search program - doesn't

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 faster

faster

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 06 September 2015 - 02:01 PM

The Windows 7 search program is horrible. When I couldn't get it to find something I knew was on my PC, I tested it out. First, I found a file, then asked the search program to find it. Even while I was looking right AT it, it didn't find it. Certain extensions it will not even bother looking for.

It doesn't repeat a search, either. You have to type it all back in. Lousy.

Can this be repaired somehow? My old W98SE search program was vastly better, and much easier to use.

At the very least, a search program should be a little bit reliable. To be crude about it, this one sucks big donkey....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 06 September 2015 - 02:35 PM

That is a gripe shared by many. This article should help & recommends an alternative: http://lifehacker.com/5887848/make-windows-search-a-million-times-more-useful-with-these-simple-tweaks

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:01:18 AM

Posted 07 September 2015 - 07:48 AM

I know you want to get the Windows search issue resolved and I do hope you are able to fix it.

However, I am putting this out to you as an alternative to Windows search.

You can also use Everything Search which is available for download here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/everything/

I have been using it for years and to me is much better than the Windows search function.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,385 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2015 - 10:33 AM

+1 for Everything.

The Windows search function is what is and has been for many years.  It's unlikely that anyone could expect MS to devote time to improving it, IMO.

Louis

#5 izzzey1

izzzey1

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 20 October 2015 - 05:03 PM

I a free with hamluis. The win search is a shadow of his own. This is why I use the free version of lookeen

#6 whitedragon551

whitedragon551

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 21 October 2015 - 09:01 AM

I have used a couple of these in corporate environments. I have a $90M a year client that uses Agent Ransack. Another uses Everything. I personally use Astro Grep.

| Windows Firewall Control | Sophos Antivirus |

| Image for Windows v3.18 |

| TysTechTalk.com |

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,385 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2015 - 10:04 AM

FWIW:  Member last active at BC 17 Oct...no input to this topic since original post on 8 Sep 2015.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users