Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No data port, steering wheel requires it

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 06 September 2015 - 12:20 PM

I just got a steering wheels and pedals set that claimed to be compatible for PC but the problem is the pedals need a green-cable data port and not an Ethernet port. My computer only has an Ethernet port. Is there a ethernet-data adapter or USB-data adaptor I could use?

EDIT: It also might be a serial cable.

Edited by gigawert, 06 September 2015 - 12:28 PM.

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,045 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 06 September 2015 - 12:45 PM

If an older wheel it may well be a COM/GAME port. Can you post an image of the port?

#3 gigawert

gigawert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2015 - 01:28 PM

No, it is brand new. 

Cable:

k2mxpt.jpg

Port (not a good shot):

2m6vhj4.jpg

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,045 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2015 - 01:45 PM

I have not seen a connector like that before. Is there a make and model of this device? The port on the back of the computer I believe is your Ethernet port.

#5 gigawert

gigawert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2015 - 01:49 PM

Yes, I know it is an ethernet port in my pc. The wheel is the Ferrari 458 Italia wheel for Xbox/PC.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,045 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2015 - 02:03 PM

I looked at the manual. The wheel has a USB connector for your PC. The pedals have the Clear Plastic connector (the one in your image) and I believe it plugs into a port on the wheel assembly in the back but that is a guess. It looks like the manual was labeled wrong with two #4's. #5 should be the pedal connector cable. #4 on the wheel is where you plug it in.

http://ts.thrustmaster.com/download/accessories/Manuals/Xbox360/F458_Racing_Wheel_Manual.pdf

#7 gigawert

gigawert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2015 - 02:07 PM

I looked at the manual. The wheel has a USB connector for your PC. The pedals have the Clear Plastic connector (the one in your image) and I believe it plugs into a port on the wheel assembly in the back but that is a guess. It looks like the manual was labeled wrong with two #4's. #5 should be the pedal connector cable. #4 on the wheel is where you plug it in.

http://ts.thrustmaster.com/download/accessories/Manuals/Xbox360/F458_Racing_Wheel_Manual.pdf

SOOO relieved. I had no idea what that cable was. :) Now all I need to know is if the wheel is detachable for when I'm not gaming. 

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,045 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2015 - 02:18 PM

I think all you need to do is detach the USB cord when not gaming. I do it with my scanner when I don't need to scan anything. When you are ready to use it again, just attach to your USB port but make sure you use the same USB port each time.

#9 gigawert

gigawert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2015 - 02:19 PM

I think all you need to do is detach the USB cord when not gaming. I do it with my scanner when I don't need to scan anything. When you are ready to use it again, just attach to your USB port but make sure you use the same USB port each time.

OK. Now I cannot even install the wheel on the desk properly due to bad instructions. I'll check Google.

Edited by gigawert, 06 September 2015 - 02:19 PM.

#10 gigawert

gigawert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2015 - 02:25 PM

Nvm

Edited by gigawert, 06 September 2015 - 02:28 PM.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,045 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2015 - 02:32 PM

Look at the third image here.

#12 gigawert

gigawert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2015 - 02:44 PM

I got it. Now I have another issue. When I map controls in games using my wheel and pedals, I click on an action to assign, move the appropriate item on the wheel set, and I hear a beep telling me it recognised it. However, when I actually start playing the game it does not work.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,045 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2015 - 02:50 PM

Sorry, I don't have any experience with game controllers. Hopefully somebody here has a similar device. Is it possible you have to also set the motions in the game itself? Is this Windows 10?

#14 gigawert

gigawert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2015 - 02:59 PM

No, it's Windows 7. I tried setting the motions in several games but either it didn't work at all or it only worked in the controls thing.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,045 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2015 - 03:10 PM

You may want to register and contact technical support.

http://ts.thrustmaster.com/eng/index.php

Edited by JohnC_21, 06 September 2015 - 03:11 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users