Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Windows Explorer Has Stopped Working

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 jacobus5566

jacobus5566

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 06 September 2015 - 11:19 AM

Running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit 6.1.7601 SP1 Build 7601 on a Custom Built Laptop, CLEVO P370EM x64 based PC, BIOS American Megatrends Inc. 4.6.5, 16/11/2012, SMBIOS Version 2.7. DDR3 Dual Channel 32GB (16GB Usable). NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680M. NVIDIA High Definition Audio / Realtek High Definition Audio / USB Audio DAC.

A much-beloved laptop running some assistive technology for a disabled user.

Please excuse me if this topic has come up before, and apologies in advance for my absolute lack of technical knowledge - please be patient with me!

Every time I launch Windows Explorer, after just a minute or so, it hangs/greys out and displays a small window that says, "Windows Explorer Has Stopped Working" ...this then changes to, "checking for a solution," or, "restarting Windows Explorer."

During this hang (usually 1 to 2 minutes) nothing else on the desktop or taskbar can be altered or launched. When Windows rights itself, all the desktop icons have been moved to different positions, the taskbar tray goes blank and then some of the tray icons reappear (as if Windows is restarting) - but many tray icons are now missing.

I have updated my video drivers, etc. etc. and run sfc /scannow, which reports no issues. I've run Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes - all clean. Windows updates are all current at time of posting.

Other recent symptoms: Windows itself is running very slow with some freezes and jerky mouse movement, quite often the little spinning circle-thingy is on next to the mouse pointer. Start up is now extremely slow. Laptop fan comes on and off rather more often than it used to.

I've tried to include as much relevant information as possible - please don't hesitate to ask for more!

In anticipation of help from a kind soul...  Jake.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jacobus5566

jacobus5566
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2015 - 12:52 PM

Addendum to the above: Windows Explorer now crashes as above when I try to access its drop-down menus or right click on a file or folder - especially infuriating as these features are used extensively by the Assistive Technology! :(

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 07 September 2015 - 05:17 PM

First - If infected, I'd suggest posting over in the Am I Infected forum:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/
Please read the pinned topics at the top of the forum for instructions on how to post there.

If it comes out clean, then start with this free program:  http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html

Use it to disable ALL non-Windows extensions, then reboot to see if that helps

Here's an article about these sort of problems:  http://windowsxp.mvps.org/slowrightclick.htm

If that doesn't work, then post back and we'll explore other options.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 jacobus5566

jacobus5566
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2015 - 05:10 AM

Thank you so much for your help and advice - I will follow your instructions and come back again if necessary.

Kind regards, Jake.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 08 September 2015 - 06:21 AM

OP topic in Am I Infected, http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/589619/windows-7-windows-explorer-has-stopped-working/ .

This topic is closed to avoid confusion.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users