Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Radeon X800 Xl

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Gothmog

Gothmog

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 16 July 2006 - 03:53 AM

I just bought an x800 XL and cannot find info on its power requirements. my stock PSU is rated at 300 Watts and +12V 15 amps. The PSU is also a few years old so it might be a little tired. If I throw the card in and the PSU is not enough for it do I risk damage to the system?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 16 July 2006 - 08:34 AM

Hi Gothmog.
"Radeon X800 Xl" doesn't tell us much but if this is an actual ATI card (not just radeon chipset)
then ATI says min 300w PS for agp version, min. 350w PS for pci-e version.
Either way you'ld be pushing it.
It is possible for a blown PS to take other components with it, though never a "given".
Better safe then sorry, upgrade the PS if you can. :thumbsup:

Edited by HitSquad, 16 July 2006 - 08:35 AM.

#3 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2006 - 10:16 PM

No, the X800 XL PCI-e only needs 300W.(Minimum) But I'd agree on upgrading your PS.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#4 Gothmog

Gothmog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2006 - 01:52 AM

yeah, I was thinking about replacing the PSU to cap off my ugrades on this computer and give it a more stable future. I'll see if I can scavenge one first, but I doubt the older machines will have anything better.

"Radeon X800 Xl" doesn't tell us much but if this is an actual ATI card (not just radeon chipset)

sorry, but I'm not really sure either. I bought it on ebay for $100(I think it was a good deal). It is the old AGP variety and I suspect it is genuine ATI based on the description and picture. I didn't think it would effect the power requirements, but I guess that it would with all the tweaking 3rd party vendors do.

I was surprised how little tech info ATI supplies on their site. Do you have to be an engineer in order to request info on the card besides how to plug it in? I hope that the manual with the card will give more info than "press card securely into AGP slot"

#5 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 17 July 2006 - 11:39 AM

I believe it eats about, maybe a little below, 50W.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users