Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Install W10 from a USB drive.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Beel

Beel

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 06 September 2015 - 06:35 AM

Okay I am thinking of taking the big plunge and install W10 on my W7 64 laptop. Someone suggested I do it from a USB drive. I have a Lexor unused 8GB USB drive. So could one of you guys familiar with this method be so kind and give a complete guide from A to Z how I should go about this remembering I am not the smartest by any means when it come to things like this or a lot of others things when it comes to computers.

Many thanks in advance for any assistance here.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 06 September 2015 - 08:53 AM

See if this helps

How to Create a Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 10

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2376-usb-flash-drive-create-install-windows-10-a.html

However isn't your Win7 computer able to upgrade to Windows 10 already?

The above link will give you the information based on some selections to choose from but why not use the Windows 7 upgrade feature?

See How to upgrade to Windows 10 step : To Upgrade to your Reserved Free Windows 10 from Get Windows 10 (GWX) app

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2267-windows-10-upgrade-installation.html#step4

Compare them and see which one you can follow: post back for any questions and concerns

Before you do so create a Windows 7 system image backup & a system repair disc or use a 3rd part program

Also back up your data

When you do upgrade to Windows 10 do not make any immediate changes

Use it for a day or two

If you like it, create a system image backup

Then if you need to add some programs, apps, user accounts etc. go ahead

Know that if for some reason you will prefer to revert back to Windows 7, it is possible but depending on some factors sometimes it doesn't work one of those factors being some additional items that have been added: that's the reason I recommend the "pristine" image backup: the idea to revert back to Windows 10 is reverting what has been originally upgraded

With all of that said, I like Windows 10 and see it as a great upgrade so I hope I'm not being alarmist to you.

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,537 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2015 - 10:17 AM

If you want to upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7, you do not even need a USB Flash Drive. One possibility is to use the Media Creation Tool to download the .iso directly on your system, then mount it (using a free sofware like DEAMON Tools Lite), and from there launch the setup.exe from the mounted .iso. You'll achieve the exact same result by making a USB bootable with it.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 Beel

Beel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 06 September 2015 - 10:33 AM

Thank you both for your help. If I download W10 from the continual popup I keep getting telling me to upgrade now, someone told me all my photos etc will not be lost as he said he did it that way and all went well. BUT he is by far no expert, just like myself, so that is why I am asking you guys. I do have my original W7 disc so if anything should go wrong? Will have a read of the links cmptrgy gave me & read up about the ISO option too Aura then have think about it tonight and see which way I will go. Also I use a printer by wifi will that still work without any hassles if I upgrade?

Fingers crossed! Again I thank you both.

Edited by Beel, 06 September 2015 - 10:34 AM.

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,537 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2015 - 10:35 AM

No matter what option you use to upgrade: Windows Update or the Media Creation Tool, you'll be offered the option to keep your files, settings and programs.

And no problem Beel, you're welcome :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users