Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weak internet issues

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 PFBrucklets

PFBrucklets

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 06 September 2015 - 05:25 AM

Hello everyone,

So for the past month, my household's been having issues with the internet. Our connection's suddenly become weak, and keeps going in and out. We can't keep connects for FaceTime, and playing online with friends is almost a nightmare.

This all seemed to suddenly happen when I got my new PC set up and linked to the wireless network. All my roommates think my new PC is to blame, and demand that I stay off the internet when they're using it. I think it's too much of a coincidence and I'm getting sick and tired of being the one at fault here.

The wireless network my household has is a NETGEAR RangeMax wireless router WPN824 V2, and a Motorola SB5100 SURFboard Cable Modem.

My new PC is using a TP-LINK TL-WN881ND 300Mbps Wireless N PCI Express Adapter.

Please give me some ideas on how to fix this. I don't want a mutiny on my hands with my roommates banging at my door, ready to destroy my brand new PC.  :wacko:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 06 September 2015 - 09:38 AM

Have you talked to your ISP about this?

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 06 September 2015 - 10:14 AM

I do see one thing I want to point out to you.

Your modem, Motorola SB5100 SURFboard Cable Modem, is an end of life device.

What this means is that it is being made obsolete due to changes in technology.

EOL modem means that the device's manufacturer has stopped providing support for the device.

It will eventually move to end of support status.

What you need to do is find out from your ISP which modems they approve for use and then get one of them after making sure it is not EOL.

Changing the modem may or may not have any effect on your issue but it will insure that you all of a sudden have other issues due to the EOL modem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users