Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

GNU GRUB version 2.02 beta2-9 displays; Win7 Ult won't boot

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Zelle

Zelle

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 06 September 2015 - 04:10 AM

Hi all,

I am retired, living 550 kilometers from the nearest city.

I just bought a used "high spec" computer which had Windows 7 Ultimate installed on the one SSD, and Linux on the other SSD. At my request the seller generously uninstalled Linux, and formatted the SSD.

When I now start my computer, I get the message;

GNU GRUB version 2.02 beta2-9

Minimal BASH - like line editing is supported. For the first word. TAB lists possible command completions. Anywhere elseTAB lists possible device or file completions.

grub>

When disconnecting the second SSD, it boots well, but then I obviously don't have use of the second SSD.

I have since Friday been reading on the web, and whilst there seems to be an "Ubuntu" cure for this, I have absolutely no idea what it refers to. I used to think I have an average knowledge of computers, But clearly I don't and I know nothing about Linux or Ubuntu.

Please help if you can, as my computer is my only company.

Thanks & kind regards

Edited by Zelle, 06 September 2015 - 04:12 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 06 September 2015 - 05:05 AM

What you need to do is install a partition tool such as Mini Tool Partition Wizard, open the software then click onto that 2nd SSD & reset the MBR back to Windows (Vista/7 is fine from the drop down list). This option is on the left side of the panel when you're looking at the drives. Make sure you select the one that's empty. Once you click to reset the MBR, then you'll have to click 'Apply' at the top of the interface. What the previous owner didn't do was reset the MBR. 

http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html

And please forgive me for my manners,  :welcome: to the Linux section of BC Forums! :)

Hope this does the trick, it should. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#3 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,221 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2015 - 05:27 AM

Yeah usually linux gives an entry onto MBR, its supposed to do that to friendly dual boot with windows

But why dump linux? 

Was it 'too hard" for you? as plenty of linux distros are easy once you learn them

Any issues? as most linux issues are easy to fix.

Its good to have around just in case windows gets a virus 

Edited by MadmanRB, 06 September 2015 - 05:27 AM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#4 Zelle

Zelle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2015 - 09:02 AM

To cat1092 & madmanRB,

Many thanks for your response. Living in South Africa also means enduring unexpected load shedding/power failures and we have just had one for almost 4 hours.

I will download the partition wizard now, and report back on my progress.

Many thanks once again.

#5 Zelle

Zelle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2015 - 09:35 AM

Hi Cat,

Downloaded latest Mini Tool Partition Wizard 9.1; Could the layout have changed recently? I changed the drive to MBR but cannot for the life of me find a drop down list or menu to reset the MBR to Windows ".Make sure you select the one that's empty" is also something I don't understand because I don't see an option.

Please advise.

Thanks so much

#6 Zelle

Zelle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2015 - 09:49 AM

What I'm seeing is;

Partition                            Capacity                       Used                             Unused                        File System                Type               Status

Disk 1

*;System Reserved            100MB                    29,73MB                           70,27MB                          NTFS                      Primary                Active & boot

C:                                       465,66GB              196,41GB                         269,25GB                         NTFS                      Primary                System

Disk 2

E:                                        487MB                       4,32MB                   482,68MB                              FAT32                     Primary                Active

D:New Volume                    232,28GB                  93,52GB                  232,19GB                             NTFS                      Primary                None

*:                                          129,18MB                   0MB                        129,18MB                       Unallocated                 Logical                 None

#7 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,323 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 06 September 2015 - 04:12 PM

http://sourceforge.net/projects/boot-repair-cd/files/   

You might try this- download it and burn it to a cd- then put it in the cd tray and let it do it's thing- worked great for me in a recent situation where i had uninstalled Debian - and the computer would not boot.This little tool fixed it.I dont know if it will work in your situation,but it's worth a try! Sorry ,I didn't specify,You have to boot from the cd - so you may have to change your boot order in the BIOS.

Edited by paul88ks, 06 September 2015 - 04:13 PM.

#8 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2015 - 12:30 AM

Hi Cat,

Downloaded latest Mini Tool Partition Wizard 9.1; Could the layout have changed recently? I changed the drive to MBR but cannot for the life of me find a drop down list or menu to reset the MBR to Windows ".Make sure you select the one that's empty" is also something I don't understand because I don't see an option.

Please advise.

Thanks so much

The drive that Ubuntu was removed from. It wasn't in your OP that you had content on the drive Ubuntu was removed from, you said it was  Looking at the partitions, Disk 2 must have an OS such as Windows 8.1 or 10 with the 487MB partition at the beginning of the drive. This looks like a combined Windows/Linux issue, though the Windows installer should have taken care of this for you, that is, if you performed the install. In you OP, you stated that:

When disconnecting the second SSD, it boots well, but then I obviously don't have use of the second SSD.

Well, how did you or someone helping manage to install another Windows OS, if you had no use of it? Or did the one whom sold it to you do this? There's a missing piece of the puzzle here, if you can give us all of the details, then we know what we have. Please post a snapshot of the Speccy specs of your OS that's running, instructions will below my post & it's a small download. What does the 2nd SSD do when the first is unplugged? 

When you post on this or any tech site, you must advise as many details possible, so that we can better serve you. :)

Still, the MBR needs to be reset to clear whatever the Linux install left behind. Here is another tool that may be of help, has got me out of a couple of jams. You have to extract the contents of the compressed folder & run the software, though you should backup the current MBR with the tab in the upper left, to a folder where it can be found. Then use the 'Automatic Repair' function to find & fix errors. This is optional & as with any software is not 100% bulletproof, so it's 'as is' software, you need to know this upfront. The best method to repair is having the install media available, this is for those whom doesn't & has limited access to media or the Internet, such as slow speeds & data caps, and in your case, areas with electrical outages. 

http://www.boyans.net/dual-boot-repair-windows-10.html

OK, for the Speccy snapshot specs, follow the instructions for the first, and second drive, if possible for both. 

• Go to Piriform's website, and click the big download.png button.

• Next, click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version.

• You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.

• After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.

• Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):
    p22004369.gif
  • Now, at the top, click File Publish Snapshot
  • You will see the following prompt:
    p22004371.gif
  • Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard
    p22004372.gif
  • Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the p22004370.gif button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.
  • Congrats! You have just posted your specs!

Once we get this, then we'll know more about what's going on. :)

It's possible that more tests or tools may become needed. 

Good Luck! :thumbup2:

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 07 September 2015 - 12:57 AM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#9 Zelle

Zelle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2015 - 09:36 AM

Disk 1 had Windows 7 installed on it, and Disk 2 had Linux.

I wanted Windows only, so he formatted Disk 2. My apologies for not providing more info.

Regarding your instructions of this morning, these were carried out by a member of our church (who knows more about IT than I do) that I spoke to yesterday, and my computer is working perfectly!

Thank you very, very much for the excellent advice & assistance.

Kind regards

#10 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2015 - 03:29 AM

Zelle, you're quite welcome & am glad that you could find someone to assist you with performing the procedure. :)

It can seem intimidating to a someone whom has never performed their own computer tasks, however once you've done these things a time or two, the butterflies in your stomach are no longer there. I hope that the person showed you the procedure while doing it, so that you would see for yourself in the future. 

As always, feel free to come back & see us anytime you need us, there's also a very active Windows section of the forum, should you need assistance down the road. At some point, most does has issues, and we provide assistance that IT shops would charge $150 or more to perform. 

Our reward, or pay, is the warm satisfaction inside of assisting fellow computer users all over the World.  :)

All the Best, 

Cat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users