Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Broken windows 7

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 CleetSR388

CleetSR388

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 06 September 2015 - 02:35 AM

Ok Let me just layout how things were and what they had to be and what they are now.

How it was:
I had 4 sata devices and one IDE device. I had a harddrive fail the one IDE drive which was my windows install for the past 9 years. Only a 120 gb I finally swapped it for another 1tb drive. I ran my pc. It failed to of course load windows as the drive was dead and a blank one was put there. I ran the win7 pre install disc I have did a install created a system reserved and another active partition on the new 1tb drive. I didn't want to install only make the drive useable and maybe make my old windows work. I got lucky did a system restore from a restore point on my other 1 tb drive.
What had to be done:
Happy everything was back but my new 1tb drive had a 100 gb partition I just couldn't leave alone. I looked at several methods to reclaim it. Finally I did it not 3 partitions anymore just one big one happy I tried to boot my pc normally and boot.mgr was missing. I was also setiing up my next restore point and had already deleted the prevoius one I used before. So using my phones browser I was able to find it in bootrec.exe but unable to re enable that windows install and get it booting again.
What they are now:
So Currently I am using my new blank hdd as a temp win 7 install until I can fix it cause everythings still in my d drive where my old windows was rewritten from my restore that worked but having changed my mbr boot.ini and whatever else just to turf that 100mb partition. PLEASE someone tell me I this fixable or am I doomed to lose my 8 to 9 years of installed stuff forcing me to reinstall everything I got to just to put it back? Sorry if it seemed a run on sentetences but I'm on day 4 of fighting the hdd fail. once I removed it everything would try to boot without freezing. but with no os drive and a restore point it couldn't automatically fix it. So I'm at a big extreme loss I need that old windows back up and running I got boinc projects I gotta send back plus several virtual windows everything worked for me. Anyways here are my specs not that I think it'' help but I'm not giving up yet.

psu:785 watts
cpu:amd quad 965 4.3
ram: 8 gb ddr3
board: M4N98TD EVO
GPU:GTX 970
Windows:7 premuim

If you need anything else I can try to get it but if any steps require me to be in my old windows I'm locked out till I can reenable it back to an active useable windows that will boot again.
Thanks for reading I'll be waiting a clean nothing else install of win 7.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hedgeley

hedgeley

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 06 September 2015 - 03:44 AM

Hi CleetSR338,and Welcome,

I am not sure I am reading your problem correctly, but my take on it is as follows.

If you could disconnect the drives with OS's on them except the one you want to repair.

Now boot with your install disk and click repair your computer, this should rewrite your boot.

The problem is I am not sure of you would reconnect your other disks because you should now have two bootable win 7s

You might be better off waiting to see if the more knowledgeable have better ideas/methods.

Good luck

Hedge 

#3 CleetSR388

CleetSR388
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 06 September 2015 - 03:35 PM

Ok that worked and then my one storage drive with lots on it went forgein so I imported it back into place and it's indexing it all now. Thanks I thought I lost my 9 years running since first install of win 7. Now I just gotta find my case screws lol. Glad I posted here good response time.

#4 hedgeley

hedgeley

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 07 September 2015 - 02:57 AM

Hi CleetSR388,

Good work :thumbup2:

Just make sure to back up(saves all the headaches later)

All the best

Hedge

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users