Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop bleeds through windows

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Blacklight

Blacklight

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 AM

Posted 06 September 2015 - 12:49 AM

I'm not sure if this is related to software, or the monitor or the cable or what, but basically my Windows 7 desktop bleeds lightly through into every window that I put on top of it almost as if it's a screen burn.  It's not a screen burn because these are LCD monitors and the shape of the bleed changes when I change the Windows wallpaper. 

I have two monitors and it's more pronounced on one monitor than the other.  It's much more visible when looking at dark grey colors like a grey, foggy sky. 

The fact that it's doing this on both monitors is leading me to believe that it's not just a cable issue. 

My monitors are a HPvs17 and an Envision L32W761

My graphics card is a NVidia GeForce GTX 570

and I'm running Windows 7, 64 bit with 16gis ram and i7 2600K CPU

I've never seen this problem before.  Do any of you have any ideas?  Is there a graphics setting maybe I have to shut off or something?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,444 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 AM

Posted 06 September 2015 - 08:58 AM

I am not sure but it sounds like a transparency setting.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/283-transparency-enable-disable.html

#3 Blacklight

Blacklight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2015 - 12:50 PM

It's not the transparency settings.  I've tried that.

It's odd.  If I'm playing a game or watching a video or looking at a picture, anything that you put over the desktop, you can barely make out the icons and wallpaper throught it. It almost looks like a negative image like those old monitor screen burns. I first noticed it when playing "7 Days to Die".  The sky in that game is very grey and foggy and it looked like there was a smear going across the screen all the time whenever I looked up.  When I looked closely at it, I discovered that it was my desktop picture in the sky.  I then found when playing on my other monitor that there were lines in the sky. Minimizing the game while keeping my fingers on the lines revealed that the lines were my icon folders.  

They also bleed through when I'm watching videos and playing movies.  I've also discovered this bleed through when looking at pictures.  I've NEVER seen this before in any computer.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,444 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2015 - 01:24 PM

Any settings would be in the Nvidia Control Panel but I am not sure what they would be. I believe the Control Panel allows you to restore defaults. 

Because it happens on both monitors, it would seem to be some kind of driver or hardware problem with the card. Have you tried reverting to an earlier driver?

Can you borrow another graphics card to test?  Do you get this bleed through when running in safe mode?

#5 Blacklight

Blacklight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2015 - 01:46 PM

I've tried changing drivers.  And I have no way to borrow another graphics card.  This is the only PC I have.  This is a really odd problem.  Safe mode doesn't change a thing.  I've never seen anything like this in all my years of computer building.  Could it be the fact that these monitors are really old SVGA monitors and this card is pumping out something these monitors don't agree with or something?  The only component I haven't checked is the adaptors I use to transfrom the video adaptors on the card to the VGA adaptors that the monitors require.   I wonder if that's causing this.  I wouldn't think so though...

Edited by Blacklight, 06 September 2015 - 01:52 PM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,444 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2015 - 03:34 PM

It very well may be the old monitors. Have you tried changing the refresh rate though I have never heard of a refresh rate causing this bleed through problem.

I assume the graphics card has a HDMI port. Do you have a monitor or TV with an HDMI port you can use? If not being able to borrow a card, can you borrow a modern LCD monitor?

#7 Blacklight

Blacklight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2015 - 03:46 PM

Of course I'm one of those computer people who knows not a single person who even owns a computer.  Everyone I know uses phones or X-boxes and that's as close to computers as they get so I'm unable to borrow monitors.  Times have changed.  No one owns computers any more. I'm a hold out of a bygone era it seems.  I don't have any monitors with HDMI ports. :(

Edited by Blacklight, 06 September 2015 - 03:47 PM.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,444 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2015 - 03:56 PM

No LCD tv with an HDMI? 

Welcome to the club. I remember going to my hazardous recycle event a couple of years ago and there were pallets with desktop computers stacked 6 feet high being wrapped up. This year I hardly saw a one. I still prefer desktops with their standard components. Easier to repair over a laptop and forget about repairing something like a tablet.

#9 Blacklight

Blacklight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2015 - 04:21 PM

Yeah.  In my area, you can't even go to a store and buy a sound card or video card any more, let alone anything to upgrade a desktop, pretty much.  All of that stuff is special order now.  The industry seems like it wants to get us completely off desktops entirely and onto those crappy tablets and smartphones.  Even Microsoft is getting into the deal making Windows look and act more like a smartphone/tablet os.  I think that's their ultimate future goal.

I'm still vexed by this issue.  I've now gone into all the settings for the video card and played with everything and still nothing changed.  I can't imagine what's causing this.  I've tried disabling one or the other monitor even.

Edited by Blacklight, 06 September 2015 - 04:27 PM.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,444 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2015 - 04:29 PM

I don't know if you ever had a CompUSA store near you but I remember when you could get a lot of stuff for free after rebate. Things like floppies, game controllers, and all sorts of computer accessories. Then is all seemed to dry up. You are right, now you go into a store and they may have one desktop on the shelf. You pretty much need to go to newegg now.

#11 Blacklight

Blacklight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2015 - 11:57 AM

My problem is solved.  Apparently the problem with the main monitor I use is that it's SHOT.  It IS a screen burn.  I was watching a movie on it using my blue ray player without the computer even on and I saw my desktop when the screen got dark grey durring a scene.  So it's a case of an LCD monitor that's probably gotten old and is dying.  I have no way of testing my second monitor like this but I'm willing to bet that since this other monitor very old that it's going to be the same issue.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,444 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2015 - 12:32 PM

Interesting. I always thought LCD monitors were immune to screen burn. Thanks for taking the time to post an update.

#13 Blacklight

Blacklight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2015 - 06:26 PM

I did research and LCD monitors (and plasma screens especially) can indeed screen burn.  Beware.  I didn't know this either.  That's why I thought nothing of having that image on the screen all the time.  It's quite prominently burned in so there's no fixing it.  It's just time to get a new TV.  :(

It's a shame that manufacturers haven't figured a way to prevent this from happening after all these years.  There's no warning in any of their literature that having a static image on their screens for long periods of time can damage their screens.  It's just not something they think about, it seems. Like they assume we're always going to have moving things on the screens all the time.

Edited by Blacklight, 07 September 2015 - 06:32 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users