Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Deleting everything on the hard drive from the BIOS

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Griffin175

Griffin175

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 06 September 2015 - 12:18 AM

I need to clear a hard drive. I know i cant "clear it clear it" but i can mark the whole thing as empty space and that's what i want to do, I think it's called reformatting. Trouble is, it's my boot drive and has my OS on it. That's why i need to do it from the BIOS. I will blank it and reinstall the OS, I just need to know how to blank the drive from the BIOS. I'm doing this because I have invincible adware, undetectably by any scanner and impossible to find evidence of until I open my browser, then it's a clusterbleep of ads by DNSUnlocker. I already tried asking how to remove it but nobody wanted to help so this is my only option.

Edited by hamluis, 06 September 2015 - 03:06 PM.
Moved from Internal Hardware to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 06 September 2015 - 08:36 AM

What scanners did you use to try to clean the adware?

I would recommend you do the following scans first

TFC   to clean any Temp Files first Windows 8 not supported

Back up any bookmarks you have and do a reset of the browser.

Reset Chrome

Reset Firefox

Reset IE

Then run the following scans

Adwcleaner

Junkware Removal Tool

HitmanPro   -   internet connection needed

Rkill  -   Run the program but do not reboot then do a scan with Malwarebytes

TDSS killer

If after doing the scans the problem still exits you can wipe the hard drive but you do not do it from BIOS. You would can wipe the drive using the OS install disk if it is Windows 7 or later. For XP you can use a bootable disk to wipe the drive. If you prefer not to do the scans and wipe the drive I can give you those instructions.

Is this an OEM computer like HP or Dell? If it is and you have a recovery partition then you can easily do a factory reset back to it's purchase date which automatically formats and reinstalls the OS for you with all drives included. It would also be a good idea to back up the activation files using this utility.

#3 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,168 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 06 September 2015 - 08:50 AM

Just from the name, I wonder if there is a chance the Malware has modified DNS settings on the computer or even the router?

If it was the latter it would appear to survive any OS re-installation, as well as affecting any other devices connecting through the router.

Edited by jonuk76, 06 September 2015 - 08:51 AM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#4 Griffin175

Griffin175
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2015 - 04:53 PM

Just from the name, I wonder if there is a chance the Malware has modified DNS settings on the computer or even the router?

If it was the latter it would appear to survive any OS re-installation, as well as affecting any other devices connecting through the router.

Im going to factory reset my router too, but ive been meaning to reset my computer for a while anyway. Theres over 6 different antivirus free trials and AVG spread its free software everywhere and is impossible to get rid of along with the virus. It does know I'm using suddenlink internet somehow. Popups telling me where i live and my service provider and that i have to call a number to get rid of the virus.

What scanners did you use to try to clean the adware?

I would recommend you do the following scans first

TFC   to clean any Temp Files first Windows 8 not supported

Back up any bookmarks you have and do a reset of the browser.

Reset Chrome

Reset Firefox

Reset IE

Then run the following scans

Adwcleaner

Junkware Removal Tool

HitmanPro   -   internet connection needed

Rkill  -   Run the program but do not reboot then do a scan with Malwarebytes

TDSS killer

If after doing the scans the problem still exits you can wipe the hard drive but you do not do it from BIOS. You would can wipe the drive using the OS install disk if it is Windows 7 or later. For XP you can use a bootable disk to wipe the drive. If you prefer not to do the scans and wipe the drive I can give you those instructions.

Is this an OEM computer like HP or Dell? If it is and you have a recovery partition then you can easily do a factory reset back to it's purchase date which automatically formats and reinstalls the OS for you with all drives included. It would also be a good idea to back up the activation files using this utility.

I have tried Microsoft antivirus, Panda, AVG, HitmanPro3, MalwareBytes, ADWCleaner, and one other i cant remember the name. Scans just arent going to get it. im not going to bother with more. This isn't a computer i bought from a company. I bought all the pieces and put it together myself. The SSD boot dive is a kingston 100gb, theres a 500gb for only games, currently has all my important things and is unplugged to avoid being affected by the reset. I onstalled Windows 8.1 but got the upgrade for windows 10. I noticed in settings i can do a recovery, the same as a factory reset for something that didnt come out of a factory, which requires a disk of some sort, but im not sure if i can use my windows 8 disk and still have windows 10 or later upgrade back to 10 for free.

#5 Griffin175

Griffin175
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2015 - 05:50 PM

Updates on progress: i stuck the win8 disk in and went to settings > recovery, did a reset. A warning popped up telling me i wont be able to downgrade, that is the opposite of what i was worried about so i continued. Now i will reset my router when it's don if it didn't fix it

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,262 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2015 - 05:54 PM

Are you saying you currently have Windows 10 on the computer? You can do a clean install as Windows 10 uses a different activation scheme. You can either use the Windows 10 media creation tool here (click on the link showing how to do a clean install) or download the iso direct here. Be sure to pick your version of Windows 10 in the dropdown box. Some people are not able to access the page and are routed to the first link.

This is for windows 7 but the same applies to 10 When you get to this screen click Custom and in the next steps you will see how to delete all your partitions. Once all your partitions are deleted select next. If you do this you will not be able to revert back to Windows 8.

#7 Griffin175

Griffin175
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2015 - 06:26 PM

Yes, i already have windows 10. I put the disk in, it told me i wont be able to downgrade after this, i continued, it reinstalled windows10 and now im working on re-downloading all my stuff. It appears to have worked

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,262 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2015 - 07:01 PM

You may need to download additional drivers. If you see any yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager post back.

#9 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 07 September 2015 - 02:59 PM

What JohnC said; you absolutely need those motherboard chipset drivers or your computer will never run right. There are generic drivers that Windows has that will get you up and running, but the individual mobo manufacturer has the proper drivers to allow the system to operate fully. Check your mobo manufacturer's website, they are probably listed there. There may (or may not) be yellow marks in Device Manager, if the generic will run it may not register as a problem but you won't get full performance. This also applies to your video card, integrated or standalone.

BTW, did you try this?

Edited by ranchhand_, 07 September 2015 - 03:16 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#10 Griffin175

Griffin175
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2015 - 03:26 PM

I have a driver disk for my motherboard and I saved the video card drivers on an external drive, but I suspect they didn't install properly just moving then back so in going to download them again.

#11 Griffin175

Griffin175
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2015 - 03:32 PM

I haven't tried roguekiller but that website said it was forgot by most anti-virus scanners and 0/6 found mine. I checked my DNS server and it was still the same as always. 10.0.0.1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users