Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Chrome crashes at launch

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 romvich

romvich

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 06 September 2015 - 12:12 AM

I have windows 8 with classic shell that makes it look like windows 7 on an Acer PC. Mozilla Firefox works fine. I have used chrome for a long time and all of a sudden today it would not launch. Clicking the shortcut icon would light it up as if it was launching and then it would go dim. When I restarted a weird computer game launched that I have never seen or hear of before, which makes me think its malware. I did not write down the name of the game and don't remember it. After restarting I ran Avast scanner and Anti-malwarebytes. Neither showed any malware. I have uninstalled and reinstalled chrome and now the program launches but immediately after launch it crashes with the message "A problem has caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a sollution is available." I have not noticed any other symptoms of malware or abnormalities, but still concerned. Thanks for the help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 scotv

scotv

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 18 September 2015 - 04:52 AM

It may be either faulty installation or some flash related issue(if you are certain malware and virus problems have been resolved)

-try updating flash player

-check crash logs for chrome & share

-any extension you might have installed on chrome

Lastly,

If nothing works switch to another alternate chromium based browser like Slimjet

Scot V

Marketing Head

Member- DSIM

Fastest Web Browser for Windows

#3 romvich

romvich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 18 September 2015 - 10:52 AM

Thanks for your reply scotv. The problem persisted in Chrome, with no impact on Firefox for several days and after a clean-sweep re-install of Chrome and Malware Bytes and Avast virus scans. Then after a week it went away. My guess is it had something to do with a chrome update that did not work with something that I had installed on my computer and Google fixed it after a week. That's just a guess. I would not rule out malware. 

#4 scotv

scotv

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 28 September 2015 - 03:44 AM

Chrome has always been a mysterious program.

Could be a problem with chrome update or a faulty add on. Chrome is too big a browser to have everything working perfectly.

It still crashes or responds very late sometimes if a few extra tabs are opened.

Firefox has better developer extensions in my opinion but i could never switch from a chromium browser so i switched to another chromium browser.

Scot V

Marketing Head

Member- DSIM

Fastest Web Browser for Windows

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users