Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ending Process in Task Manager

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 05 September 2015 - 09:59 PM

I just Re-Installed from Recovery Partition and am Installing Updates, Wow it takes a long time!  I would like to get a little more speed doing this and wondered if I can shut down Avast While the Update Installation is going on.  This pc has a single core CPU and a measly 2gb of RAM so it is all really slow as you can imagine.

If I shut down Avast this way will it cause any issues starting it back up, or will it do so Automatically upon next start up?

Thanks pcpunk

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 05 September 2015 - 11:41 PM

Just Right Click the Avast Icon in system tray , and highlight -  Avast Shields Control - Tab.

Then select what you want it to do - disable for 1 hr or Permantly etc.....your choice.

This should speed up slightly as it wont be scanning the updates.

You may have to check it again if you reboot.

#3 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 05 September 2015 - 11:42 PM

I just Re-Installed from Recovery Partition and am Installing Updates, Wow it takes a long time!  I would like to get a little more speed doing this and wondered if I can shut down Avast While the Update Installation is going on.  This pc has a single core CPU and a measly 2gb of RAM so it is all really slow as you can imagine.

If I shut down Avast this way will it cause any issues starting it back up, or will it do so Automatically upon next start up?

Thanks pcpunk

You don't want the Security off if & whilst connected to the Net.  However, you can disconnect from the Net whilst installing & stop Avast, as well.  Then go back to normal after the install has completed.  You need the Net to download but, not to install.

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,102 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2015 - 11:03 AM

Gotcha, I was not able to open avast do to all the resources being used up-that's why I was asking about the Task Manager route.  Thanks guys!

Towards the end I was getting the message that My pc did not have enough memory, and, have had this issue the last time I did this.  All worked out Finally! Whew.  I did turn avast off, unfortunately even while downloading a few things last night, M.S. Updates that is.  I thought that we could turn off AV while downloading Updates from M.S.?  Hmm? good thing I did not for the bulk of the downloads.  I'll have to look at my notes.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,102 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2015 - 06:51 PM

O-boy this Windows stuff is aggravating arrrg.  I now have Microsoft Bing Services Running in Task Manager?  It was not there before - but after installing Java and Silverlight it is now living on this pc which can't handle to many processes with a single core cpu and 2gb of RAM.  It is not showing up in any of the browsers and not in Programs either.  I tried Revo Uninstaller but it don't show up there either.  Boy those guys at M.S. are sneaky LOL.  It is the second one down.

124vg8x.png

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#6 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2015 - 11:26 PM

Stuart,

If you don't mind I have some questions:

What Operating System are you running?

Your specs @ the bottom of your entries shows a Dual-core CPU & 4GB RAM.  Yet, you say the machine has a single -core & 2GB RAM. Please, explain...

You can probably away w/out Java & Silver light is unnecessary for you.  I have neither.

I use Bing as my search engine but, BingSvc.exe does not appear in (my) Task Manager.  Nor will Bing show in Programs & Features.  It is not an installed program.

Update:  Silly me, I just see this is in the Windows 7 section so no need to answer that question, lol.
I don't have my Win7 vm running right now, so can't check on a couple of things you mention.  Likely someone else w/ 7 going can add a comment, as well.

Edited by Drew1903, 06 September 2015 - 11:37 PM.

#7 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 07 September 2015 - 07:18 AM

When installing all your windows updates and IE 11 etc , it will add these addons if you dont uncheck them from the install.

This is why i do my updates in small chunks from a clean install or recovery , critical updates are usually fine just watch the Browser Updates , java and Flash , with those you need to uncheck tabs of those addons when they install.

To remove Bing i would check Addons in settings of your browsers - Chrome and IE , and Home Page Settings , and remove the ones you dont want and make the ones you do want default.

Edited by hamluis, 07 September 2015 - 08:44 AM.
Removed unnecessary quotebox - Hamluis.

#8 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,102 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2015 - 12:51 PM

Thanks guys that helps some.  This is my friends pc, Stuart.  There is nothing Bing related in Add-ons or anywhere else.  I installed Java and Silverlight because I don't know his exact usage, and he don't either.  I tried to sit down with him and go through this stuff but it seems not to be at the top of his priority list.  If I asked if he needed these things he would not know, and, I don't know a lot about them either.  I know I need Silverlight to view my paychecks, boy they get us one way or another don't they.  I know this can be done in Virtual Machine, and I will have to look into that for myself soon.  

All M.S. Updates had been done and I was just updating those two things including Adobe.  Both Java and Silverlight are Disabled.  When I get a chance to get with him I will try to find out if he needs these, which will be difficult with both of us not knowing a lot about all this.  I have done my homework but it is all still quite foreign to me.  

That Microsoft Bing Service was not there right before installing S.L. and Java though, that's for sure.  I was trying to minimize any unnecessary processes while getting him setup.  In hindsight, I should have not installed those things - but then he would be stuck installing them by himself, and he don't really like doing that, is not comfortable doing that.

Thanks for the help! as long as it works okay that's good enough for now.  I gave it back to him so time will tell, it seemed to work pretty well for the specs.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#9 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2015 - 01:04 PM

Thanks for what you have explain.  Now I understand why the specs you mention don't jibe w/ what is listed @ the bottom of your entries.  Just a bi-product of 'User Names' instead of normal names.

Just to clarify... you stated Silverlight is need for a specific thing; fair enough.  Java is a computer language that some sites use, but, for the most part the lack of it will rarely lessen ones' experience.  But, having it is ok, too as it really puts little strain on resources.  One thing recommend is when there is an Update for Java, remove the existing version & then put in the new rather than overwriting.

Recommend disabling Add-ons.  As for search engines, in the Search (box) settings (Manage) ne can select which search engines are available to use or Removed and the preferred one set as Default.

Edited by Drew1903, 07 September 2015 - 01:08 PM.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2015 - 01:49 PM

Download Autoruns and do a search for bing. Make sure it is BingSvx.exe. Unchecking it's box will disable it. If you find that disabling does not give any issues then you can delete it.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx

#11 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,102 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2015 - 02:30 PM

One thing recommend is when there is an Update for Java, remove the existing version & then put in the new rather than overwriting.

Recommend disabling Add-ons.  As for search engines, in the Search (box) settings (Manage) ne can select which search engines are available to use or Removed and the preferred one set as Default.

Yes I did this with Java.

All Unwanted Add-ons Disabled.  The only ones that are Enabled are AddBlockPlus and avast web rep.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#12 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,102 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2015 - 02:39 PM

Download Autoruns and do a search for bing. Make sure it is BingSvx.exe. Unchecking it's box will disable it. If you find that disabling does not give any issues then you can delete it.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx

Ooo, thank you John, that is what I needed!  As you might know - I have been running Linux most of my short Techie experience so still getting to know Windows.  I have a used Windows7 pc myself but don't work on it much, I use it but don't experiment with it as I don't have a good backup device, only Recovery Set - and you know how much of a pain it is to re-install from those.

Those suckers somehow sneaked that Bing in on me lol.  I am using Unckecky on my machine but this one can't stand any more junk running on it.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users