Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't compete at all in the low end PC market.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 pistol22cal

pistol22cal

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 05 September 2015 - 07:48 PM

Look at the top builders of computers - They can offer a full built PC for as little as $179

The OEM cost of Windows is sitting right at $89.

Just cant compete.

So are we just forced out of the lower end PC market?

Are we as system builders doomed to only cater to those that have the cash to have a custom built PC but lack the time to build it themselves?

I Love Lamp!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 05 September 2015 - 08:41 PM

Here's a cheap one I whipped up on PCPartPicker: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/gigapouch/saved/J69Qzy

Of course, I haven't built it myself but it would be as cheap as you could get without sacrificing quality. The $179 PCs probably don't have HQ parts.

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#3 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 05 September 2015 - 11:04 PM

I would have thought that has long been the case?  I don't know the cost of a Windows license for a large OEM, but I can imagine it is a hell of a lot less than you or I pay.  And no you can't compete with an ultra cheap supermarket or discount warehouse system on an equal footing.  I don't build anything for profit, but have done a few in the past as favours for family/friends.  I'm confident anything I build will perform better and use better quality components than the cheap boxes.

7sbvuf-6.png

#4 pistol22cal

pistol22cal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 06 September 2015 - 04:31 AM

Yes I agree with all of the above.

But customers are so uneducated in what they are getting for their money.

They do not realize that for that $499 Inspirion is not going to last them only as long as the warranty, about a year.

But it is so hard to justify the cost to customers they just do not care, for the most part. 

One of the reasons I got out of the PC building market.

It's sad to see the quality of products drop so much. 

I Love Lamp!

#5 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 06 September 2015 - 11:14 PM

Here's a cheap one I whipped up on PCPartPicker: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/gigapouch/saved/J69Qzy

Of course, I haven't built it myself but it would be as cheap as you could get without sacrificing quality. The $179 PCs probably don't have HQ parts.

Exactly. Could easily use cheaper parts there. Do the OEM thing to for 180$ desktop "hmmm they only need the min amount of RAM, 2GB is fine". Also, remember, it's cheaper to buy cheap and replace the duds *Edit: in the OEM world* then it is to buy quality (same goes for mass non vital servers)

Oh and the build doesn't list HDD price. 

I don't know the cost of a Windows license for a large OEM, but I can imagine it is a hell of a lot less than you or I pay.  

Who said we'd need to use windows? Doesn't Dell sell a bunch of their low end laptops/desktops with Ubuntu at a reduced price anyways?

Would like to point out that the sub 200$ laptops tend to use phone/tablet parts.

With all that in mind I present to you SupperCheap-O' 1.0!

First off.  A lot of the parts are under most sites minimum for free shipping. Using Newegg as the single site on the order to keep the total over that minimum. All prices rounded up to nearest dollar for more accurate pricing. All parts are new and currently in production. That means no trash/gamble drives that have been sitting in their inventory for years.

Motherboard: ASRock AM1B-M 27$
Hard Drive (SSD): Mushkin Enhanced ECO2 MKNSSDEC60GB  37$
Case: DIYPC MA01-G 20$

Shipping: Free* 
Total: 144$ USD*

Some notes. 
Cheap SSDs costs less then cheap HDDs. HDD prcies start at 45$ (maybe 50$) for a new, in production, drive.
A Samsung USB flash drive can be used as your main C: drive for even more cheapness. As their flash drives read as system drives instead of external storage (various formatting/speed reasons). 
Weirdly the cheapest AM1 board on Newegg right now is made by a semi okay company quality wise.
Using the stock cooler for the CPU and the case comes with two fans for cooling there. 
CPU has a integrated GPU.
Those USB 3.0 ports on the front of the case aren't gonna work, but seeing as OEMs cut out parts/ports they can't use I don't see why we can't. Seriously, how many times have you seen a indented spot on a OEM case where a port obviously goes? 

1* Within the continental US
2* At the time of this post.

Edited by SEANIA, 06 September 2015 - 11:48 PM.

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,918 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 09 September 2015 - 06:36 PM

If you are trying to do it as a business I would have to agree with the OP - you can't compete on price. But if you are dong it for yourself - or friends or family - you have the satisfaction of knowing what went to it and that you picked the components hopefully with either knowledge or good advice.

The last time I bought a built computer was a mistake. I went to a computer shop in the town where I live - shop local, you know who to complain to, etc.  - and it was the second biggest piece of junk I have ever bought (the biggest was a very second hand car). Unhappily by the time I discovered it was a piece of junk they had gone bust. Since then I have built my own and upgraded where necessary.

Chris Cosgrove

#7 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 10 September 2015 - 05:01 AM

If you are trying to do it as a business I would have to agree with the OP - you can't compete on price. But if you are dong it for yourself - or friends or family - you have the satisfaction of knowing what went to it and that you picked the components hopefully with either knowledge or good advice.

The last time I bought a built computer was a mistake. I went to a computer shop in the town where I live - shop local, you know who to complain to, etc.  - and it was the second biggest piece of junk I have ever bought (the biggest was a very second hand car). Unhappily by the time I discovered it was a piece of junk they had gone bust. Since then I have built my own and upgraded where necessary.

Chris Cosgrove

First thing to take into account that really REALLY makes the low end PC market dangerous is that the buyer is uninformed, or, the buyer is only partially informed and/or misinformed. That issue is the root of all our problems (and all other professional to non professional jobs. mechanics, doctors,  ECT). 

Do you do the cheap easy fix, or the more costly one that's the right way to do it. Some customers understand that to do it right costs more, but others just want what gives them the lowest bill. Now the worst part about the 2nd one, is that even if you give them the option between the two, and warn them repeatedly that doing it the cheaper way won't last and/or isn't a real fix, they'll always choose the cheaper option and then proceed to yell and act like you ruined their life because what you said might happen, happened. Worse is that they'll choose the first and then yell at you later because another shop said they could've done it cheaper.

Those people^ those people I feel really bad for, because I know their computer life will only ever be filled with frustration and anger. The worst part being that while they're pissed at everyone having to do with electronics and blame us for everything- it's their own fault and there is nothing we can do to help them.

Time for a re-quote.

I went to a computer shop in the town where I live - shop local, you know who to complain to, etc.  - and it was the second biggest piece of junk I have ever bought 

We run into that^ Some shops decide to try to match the OEMs by catering specifically to the people that don't understand. They know that it's not right, but if they want those people to buy their stuff that'll be what they have to do. They will build and/or sell junk PCs because they know that's what will move in mass quantities. They will take the cheapest most painless route for the customer during their transaction, even if it isn't the best/right thing to do. Sometimes the customer just won't give you the option to do it right and you'll refuse to do it cheaply like they want. Then they will spout off and soil your name to everyone they know about it, but some shops have given in long ago.

Now there are legitimately bad tech repair shops that only want as much money as they can milk from you, but a lot of shops do get forced into the above situation and make those bad choices. It's not right that they do it, but when the customer is telling them it's right....it can be hard to make that moral choice. Worst of all is that to the next tech guy that comes along, it'll all seem like you were milking money/doing a unprofessional job on purpose. 

My ending statement and answer to OP.

It's not that we can't compete. We simply choose not to compete because competing isn't the right thing to do.

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users