Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 Event ID 10 Task Category (63) randomly restarts computer

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 mrcoachray007

mrcoachray007

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 05 September 2015 - 07:46 PM

Hello all,

This error causes my computer to restart with no warning.  Right now, it only happens while I am playing the game Elder Scrolls Online.  

Specifically, it only happens when I am in the game and in a dungeon or delve.  It does not happen in the open world.  

Nevermind....it just restarted the machine while opening the game right after signing in.  Didn't even make it to the character select screen.  

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.  

I have also completed a memtest for 8 passes and no errors were present (screenshot attached).

I have also tried to swap out the power supply with a Thermaltake 620W and it also restarted when in a dungeon or delve.  

The memory is G.Skill F3-1600C9-8GXM X2

· OS - Windows 10 x64 PRO

· What was original installed OS on system?

Upgrade from Windows 8.1 full retail

I also did the clean install once Windows 10 was installed

· Age of system (hardware) 2-3 years
· Age of OS installation - <3 months
· CPU: i5 2500K
· Video Card: XFX R9 280X
· MotherBoard - ASUSTeK P8Z77-V Rev 1.xx
· Power Supply - CORSAIR HX Series HX850 850W

· Desktop? YES

Attached Files

Edited by mrcoachray007, 05 September 2015 - 07:53 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mrcoachray007

mrcoachray007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2015 - 10:07 PM

I am not trying to bump this thread but would like to give an update.

I went ahead and did another clean install of Windows 10.  I also re-downloaded ESO and this time, I installed it to the c: drive and not the 256GB Samsung SSD it was on before.  

I do not know if that has anything to do with the problem or not, but I played the game for 2 hours and no restarts.  I will try again tomorrow.  

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2015 - 04:42 AM

Should you have problems again, I'll receive an email if you post back here.
Good luck!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 mrcoachray007

mrcoachray007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2015 - 08:43 AM

It happened again this morning.  I created new required files.  

As stated above, this is on a fresh Windows 10 install where I had it wipe all drives.  

If this points to power supply, I have no problem ordering one.  Thanks again for any assistance.  

Attached Files

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2015 - 05:39 PM

First off, why do you suggest the PSU?  I find that most problems are solved by the owner of the system.

How old is the PSU?

Your UEFI/BIOS (version 2104) dates from 2013.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  If you are able to install the update through Windows (without booting from an external drive), then go ahead and update it.  WARNING - if the computer might shut down during this procedure, please don't do it, as this may physically damage the computer and prevent it from booting.

In the WER section of MSINFO32 I see a STOP 0x144 BSOD - which is a USB 3.0 error.  It happened on 04Sep2015 at around 10:54 PM

So, make sure that you have the latest, W10 compatible USB 3.0 drivers for your system installed.

Interestingly, the logs in the second upload are missing the info from the first upload.

If you're using a disk cleaning program (such as CCleaner) please stop while we're troubleshooting.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 mrcoachray007

mrcoachray007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2015 - 05:57 PM

Will do what you suggested.  Second upload was after performing a clean install of Windows 10.  I did not have anything installed except for ESO and maybe Chrome.  

Thanks for the reply.  I will work on your suggestions.  

Tom

#7 mrcoachray007

mrcoachray007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 04:43 AM

UPDATE

I installed the newest bios from AUSUS for my board.  I cannot find an updated Windows 10 USB 3.0 driver.  I went into the device manager and uninstalled each USB 3.0 device listed and rebooted computer.

The computer still restarted while playing the game.  

I can run stress tests to video card, memory, cpu with no restarts.  Not sure how to proceed at this point.  I also unplugged any device connected to the USB 3.0.  I only have mouse and KB connected now.

Do you think this is a Windows 10 issue of some kind?  Would it be best to revert back to Windows 7?

Thanks,

Tom

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 05:06 AM

As there are no other W10 USB 3.0 drivers - I'd have to suggest that the next test would be to rever to W7 and see if the system remains stable.

If it does, then that would indicate that the system isn't compatible w/W10

There's other options here, such as a clean install of W7SP1 and and immediate update to W10

Or an attempt to install W10 clean (bypass/skip the 2 requests to provide a product key if the system was previously activated w/W7)

#9 mrcoachray007

mrcoachray007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 08:04 PM

To say that I am slightly peeved is an understatement.

I went back to Windows 7 64bit on this machine.  It still restarted twice in the past 30 minutes.

Same exact error.  Does this point to a bad mobo somehow?  I have stress tested the RAM, CPU, and Video Card and no restarts during those stress tests or errors.

I go into the game (ESO) and it randomly restarts.  It is the weirdest thing I have seen.  

I suppose I could install a different game and see if it restarts in that game as well.  

Tom  

BTW, new parts arrived to build a new computer, so this one may be relegated to a Plex server.  

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2015 - 05:14 AM

Most likely it's a problem with your hardware - but it depends on a lot of different things.

Have you monitored your temps?  If not, here's a free tool for that:    http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html
You could also open the case and point a house fan into it (on high).  If it lessens the shutdowns, then you can assume that it's heat related.

Here's the 2 sets of hardware diagnostics that I recommend:

- http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

- http://www.carrona.org/strpdown.html

Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users