Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVD drive renamed to D the actual drive is disabled

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 05 September 2015 - 04:55 PM

Some time back my dvd drive quit playing/working even tho the system said it was working fine, no issues.

While trying varieous programs trying to disinfect my system I found it had been renmed to D which was supposed to be my recovery drive/partition.

Everything I have tried so far I have not been able to reverse this so my cd/rom will work again.

Any ideas. Renameing it does nothing.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 05 September 2015 - 05:46 PM

Having a different drive letter should not have affected the DVD drive. Does Disk Management show the recovery partition as having a letter D: assigned to it? If it does then in Disk Management click on DVD Rom drive at the far left. Right click and select Change Drive Letter. Change it to a non-assigned letter.

Also see if using the Microsoft Fixit it helps. Is this the computer infected with malware? That could be causing the problem too.

Edited by JohnC_21, 05 September 2015 - 05:47 PM.

#3 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2015 - 05:51 PM

Yes it is the badly infected computer but none of the malware I know of can turn off a drive, or so I thought.

I am reluctant to hook that into the network to use this connection. I will try to find that fix it thing and load to a flash drive.

Edited by dannyboy950, 05 September 2015 - 05:56 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2015 - 05:59 PM

Have you ever though about doing a full factory reset to take it back to the day of purchase to rid it of malware after you backup the data on the computer. Yes, I agree, never put that computer on a network.  In that link you can see under the big blue download Run button. Advanced - Download to run on another computer. Click that link.

Edited by JohnC_21, 05 September 2015 - 06:00 PM.

#5 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2015 - 06:09 PM

Yes I thought of that however my recovery partition was D and now it is blank.

Your fix it link does not have the option you speak of. It actually is the tool and it says it will not run on this system.

I went to microsoft support but do not find it listed, keeps pushing for windows 10 lol.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2015 - 06:18 PM

In order to change the recovery partition to D you need to change the drive letter of the DVD drive first to something like E: or what it was previously and then assign letter D: to the recovery partition. 

#7 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2015 - 07:33 PM

I think that is the rub I have C, D is now listed as a cd drive that is enabled but nothing in it, my actual cd rom drive is E and listed as disabled.

There no longer is a recovery partition.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2015 - 07:52 PM

Are you saying there is two optical drives or there is only one and D: is to some kind of phantom drive?

If there is no longer a recovery partition, I would be hesitant to use this computer even if you were able to clean the malware from it. If you want to keep Vista, I think your first step is to go to the Virus Removal Forum and have a Malware Removal Expert look at your logs. See the Pinned posts in the forum before posting.

Personally, because you have another comptuer, I zero out the drive with a boot disk and install a linux distro on it if you have the RAM, at least 1GB.

#9 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2015 - 12:30 AM

To answer the first part D as a CD rom drive does not  exist one of the reasons I can't reinstall it or format and install a linux distro is I need a CD/dvd to do it or a boot disk..

I have a lot of data stored on there that I really do not want to loose. Would malware be able to hide in my documents folder??  If not I can copy that to a thumb drive and go from there.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2015 - 08:03 AM

It seems like D: is some kind of virtual disk. Going to Device Manager look under DVD/CD-Rom drives. How many are listed? 

You should still be able to boot a DVD during boot as that bypasses any Windows processes. You can also install linux via a bootable USB flash drive which would bypass your optical drive problem.

If the infection you have is a file infector than that would be bad but that kind of infection is not too common. Is there any way you can connect the computer to the internet via Ethernet without attaching it to your network? Doing that you would be able to use a linux virus removal disk by Kaspersky or HitmanPro in Windows.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users