Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wi-fi and Ethernet problems!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 adamidris

adamidris

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 05 September 2015 - 03:31 PM

Hey everyone, I've had a couple of problems since I bought a new router a couple days ago (my old one died on me). Initially, everything worked fine, all devices in the house connected to the network with no problems. However, since yesterday, there have been a lot of problems. 2 out of 4 phones in the house connect to wi-fi, but doesn't seem to load up any pages, an error message just pops up. The other 2 phones connect fine. The main computer is connected to the network via ethernet and works completely fine. However, my Amazon Fire TV seems to be having problems with the wired connection. So I tried connecting to the internet on my laptop on my laptop via Ethernet and it says "No Internet." I tried it on 2 other laptops and still the same problem.

Why is it that some devices are working fine and some are having issues, both wired and wirelessly? I'm so confused at the moment, so any help would be much appreciated! 

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Queen-Evie, 05 September 2015 - 04:25 PM.
moved from Web Browsing/Email and Other Internet Applications to the appropriate forum

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 05 September 2015 - 09:53 PM

What is the make and model of the new router?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 adamidris

adamidris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2015 - 02:38 AM

What is the make and model of the new router?

It's a D-Link DSL-2890AL

#4 scotv

scotv

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 18 September 2015 - 05:01 AM

Check with your ISP

Sometimes some router may not be compatible. Although its a very rare case.

did you open the router configuration by typing - 192.168.1.1 in your browser? usually this is how you can open & check router settings.

You may want to check DNS server settings and other settings like what is the VCI/VPI settings for your ISP (call them and ask them)

or get someone from your provider's technical team to check and do it correctly for you. 

Scot V

Marketing Head

Member- DSIM

Fastest Web Browser for Windows

#5 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2015 - 09:58 AM

Are you still having these issues? I am sorry it has been so long since I responded. When this started, what had changed? It worked then didn't, normally something changes. What error pops up when surfing on 2 of 4 phones?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#6 adamidris

adamidris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2015 - 06:46 AM

Are you still having these issues? I am sorry it has been so long since I responded. When this started, what had changed? It worked then didn't, normally something changes. What error pops up when surfing on 2 of 4 phones?

Well I realised that the router was set to static IP, so I changed it to DHCP and it started working on every device. After a week, some of the phones can still connect to the network, but can't seem to access the internet. I'm no longer getting an error message though, it just says the page can't be displayed. This is weird because wi-fi works on the computer and laptops just fine!

#7 heatherblankj

heatherblankj

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2015 - 03:23 PM

I've had similar issues in the past and it turned out i had too many devices connected at the same time, they alternated from perfect connection to disconnect every few minutes - I ended up upgrading to the linksys ac3200 and never looked back. :thumbsup2:

#8 scotv

scotv

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 28 September 2015 - 03:34 AM

Linksys ac3200 seems to be an expensive router.

At what price you got it?

it shows around $200

Scot V

Marketing Head

Member- DSIM

Fastest Web Browser for Windows

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users