Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Going over ISP monthly limit and getting "supsicious" activity from my network

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 VicVegas

VicVegas

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 05 September 2015 - 02:40 PM

Edit: I cannot believe I missed that typo in the title. Ugh, I've been losing too much sleep.

Device Model: AirRouter
Device Name: Ubiquiti
Firmware Version: XM.v5.6.2

The problem is occuring on all computers on the network.

My ISP is Mediacom cable.

For several months (started in late june or early july?) I've had the network going down frequently, though for no more than a few seconds at a time. In addition to this, my cable bill has increased due to our house going over our limit every month. I've also had websites and search engines forcing me into a captcha and stating my network is showing suspicious activity.

My ISP has sent people repeatedly to look at the cables and one replaced some sort of box on the side of the house, at the time he also claimed our issues were affecting the whole neighborhood (yikes).

I've tried scanning all the computers that have been active when the outages occur, using Malwarebytes, Eset and Avast. No results there. None of those computers seemed to be showing unusual sluggishness or connectivity issues other than the outages.

I've also just recently updated my Router's firmware a few days ago, and it seems the outages have been stopped or at least greatly reduced. However the captcha issue still has been occuring as well as a new problem where webpages either do not fully load or give a blank white page and I'm forced to refresh to reach the page. Does this just suggest a bad router?

Im having trouble narrowing down the problem on my own, mostly just due to my lack of knowledge on the subject. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files

• Attached File  MTB.txt   26.8KB   8 downloads

Edited by VicVegas, 05 September 2015 - 08:21 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,476 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 07 September 2015 - 09:32 PM

How many devices?

What is your monthly limit?  How much over are you?

How much control do you have over the network and devices?

Are you using wireless?  Have you changed your wireless network password?

#3 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 08 September 2015 - 02:45 PM

"I've also had websites and search engines forcing me into a captcha and stating my network is showing suspicious activity."

That is spam also known as social engineering.  They can't see your local network so any thing they say is a lie. Captcha is done to know you are not a bot filling out a request/access.

One of the first tests to conduct is from a wired connection test what your down/up is by going to a bandwidth test site like speedtest.net

Compare that to what you are paying for concerning down/up.  Significant difference would be a clue you have a cabling or router hardware/configuration issue.

Depending on router you can log data loads by user.  You may even be able to configure a limit on bandwidth so if you hit your monthly limit and can have it stop internet access.  At least this way you know you have gone over and can decide if you want to pay the additional jacked up charges your ISP will charge you.

#4 shelf life

shelf life

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,688 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 08 September 2015 - 04:58 PM

Anybody file sharing, gaming or streaming lots of  media?  Router encrypted?

How Can I Reduce My Risk to Malware?

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 10 September 2015 - 09:03 PM

http://krebsonsecurity.com/2015/06/crooks-use-hacked-routers-to-aid-cyberheists/

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users