Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to convert RAW back to NTFS?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Juliasdream

Juliasdream

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 05 September 2015 - 02:36 PM

Something happened to my hdd and it changed from NTFS to RAW and lost its drive letter

I ran the free version of EaseUS data recovery and although it said 100% free after 1 hour it found akll my files

But when I went to transfer those files to another drive it said the free version only allows 1gb of data recovery.

So much for 100% free

I really cant afford the paid for version and so I tried Recuver instead.

That wont work because it says I must format the disc which obviously will lower my chances of recovery

Can anyone suggest a free, no catch software to get me through this

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,493 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 05 September 2015 - 03:38 PM

i will provide some information so you know exactly what situation you are in.

RAW is unformatted, clean disk space on your hard drive. Well, that is not exactly true, but let's keep it simple for our purposes. NTFS is the" library" file system that Windows uses to process, store and access your data. Without a file system, Windows cannot operate; it won't "know" where to put your data so that it can find it again on command. It is the foundation of your operating system. You can think of it as the "Dewey Decimal System" that most local libraries use to keep track of all their books, otherwise there would be chaos with thousands of books piled up in no order at all and nobody could find any book they wanted to read.

Try to remember what you were doing, or any events that happened just before this. It might help.

Do not format your hard drive (HDD) or save anything on your computer. You will overwrite and permanently lose all your data.

At this point, Windows is not booting. The messages you are getting are from the BIOS, and it is telling you that your disk has no library system. The data is probably still there, but right now there is no logical file system for retrieving it.

This usually happens when there is a major system crash and your active partition gets corrupted, which prevents Windows from accessing it. Again, can you remember anything unusual that occured just before all this happened?

I am going to continue this immediately, but I will post this right now so that you will get the information; I see you are currently logged in.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,493 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2015 - 04:01 PM

Quick question....what operating system is on your computer? Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, or?

Also....be patient, there are a lot of experienced people on this forum who will post in. This is Saturday so it may be a bit slow.

Also...do you know how large your HDD is?

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#4 Juliasdream

Juliasdream
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 06 September 2015 - 06:14 AM

Quick question....what operating system is on your computer? Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, or?

Also....be patient, there are a lot of experienced people on this forum who will post in. This is Saturday so it may be a bit slow.

Also...do you know how large your HDD is?

Hi. I use Windows 7

The disc comes from a PC that was using XP

I can't remember exactly how it happened.

I dismantled a PC which no longer worked. It wasn't posting so faulty motherboard

I'm trying to recover the data

I added the HDD to a working computer to try and recover the data to an external drive when I found it was reading as a RAW instead of NTFS

The HD is a Samsung HD401LJ 400GB

EaseUS showed that it found all files on 2 partitions but when I tried to copy them to the external HD I got the message that the free version only allows 1GB of recovery

Shame that was not clear before I started. So much for it's advertised 100% free

#5 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,493 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2015 - 10:51 AM

Let's try accessing your HDD with an Linux self-booting distro (free).
Download Knoppix from This link.

It is a 701 meg download so it may take some time, be patient. After the download completes, burn the ISO image to a DVD disk.

After you have done this, post back and we will continue. Don't worry, this is the most difficult part of the whole thing, :cowboy:

Edited by ranchhand_, 07 September 2015 - 01:08 PM.

#6 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,493 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 06:50 PM

Since it has been 3 full days and you have not replied, I will assume you are no longer with this thread so I am removing it off my saved. If you wish to proceed, please PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users