Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Code 80096010 - Win 7 Professional 64 bit

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 CharlzB

CharlzB

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 05 September 2015 - 01:56 PM

Hello:

I have been trying to get Win 7 Pro 64 bit up and running on a machine I've been using for a while. It seems to install just fine, but I can't run Windows Update, every time receiving code 80096010. I haven't been able to find any good help with this. I can't install any updates, most websites are largely messed up when I try to access them, and I'm just at the end of my rope with this. The computer is my work machine and has worked admirably for a number of years. Win 7 compatibility wizard says my machine should be able to run this.

Please, anyone, HELP!!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,870 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 05 September 2015 - 02:18 PM

What browser version are y0u using?

Have you installed SP1?

Those things might prevent Windows Update from working properly, IMO.

Louis

#3 CharlzB

CharlzB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2015 - 02:34 PM

Browser is IE8, because nothing else will install, and my Win 7 Pro disc includes SP1 according to the label.

I've tried downloading other IE versions on another machine and installing them on the machine in question, and nothing is working.

#4 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 05 September 2015 - 02:55 PM

See if this article helps you in any way: http://www.microsoftfixit.net/fix-microsoft-error-code-0x80096010/

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#5 CharlzB

CharlzB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2015 - 03:06 PM

Nope, it doesn't. It's a sales website. Already been down that road.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,870 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 05 September 2015 - 03:53 PM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Many websites do not tolerate IE 8 on any version of Windows...any more...I suggest installing Firefox as a secondary browser.

Windows Update requires a supported version of IE for access...so you need to download/install IE11, IMO, along with all critical updates for Win 7 and IE 11.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/internet-explorer-11-for-windows-7-details.aspx

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users