Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blinking cursor - tried most things

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dazlightyear

dazlightyear

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 05 September 2015 - 01:42 PM

I have a laptop that I never turn off because it usually will not load windows when I switch it back on. Instead it goes straight to the black screen with blinking cursor in top left hand corner. There is no opportunity to get into BIOS.

When I first became aware of the problem I read that removing and then re-inserting the hard drive might fix the problem. Usually this does the trick, however not always. It also seems that removing the and re-inserting the ram helps.

To try and fix this fault for good I bought a solid state hard drive and did a reinstall of windows 7. The problem persisted. I therefore bought new RAM but this has not fixed the problem.

So, it seems my operating system, hard drive and RAM are all good ...what else could be causing this issue?

Edited by hamluis, 05 September 2015 - 01:56 PM.
Moved from Crashes/BSODs to Win 7 - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,754 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2015 - 06:50 PM

There is no opportunity to get into BIOS

That is certainly unusual. The usual cause of this is that the BIOS cannot find a bootable drive. I think you need to get into the BIOS to check the boot priority order. Since you don't give any details on the make and model of your laptop then i can only suggest that you start tapping the 'Delete' key as soon as you hit the 'Power' button and keep tapping it until either the BIOS screens open or you get the blinking cursor again. If you get to the cursor, then repeat the process but tapping 'F2' this time. These are the most common keys to get into the BIOS but some manufacturers use others. If neither of these work then I suggest you get on-line and check the manual for this computer for the correct procedure.

When you get to the BIOS you need to ensure that your hard drive is set as either first in the priority list or second to an optical drive if you have one fitted.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 dazlightyear

dazlightyear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2015 - 08:35 PM

Hi Chris,

I shut down my computer, tried to restart and got the blinking cursor immediately, preventing me from getting into BIOS. I then removed the hard drive, re-inserted it, restarted the computer and this time the cursor did not appear. I got into BIOS with F2.

The boot order had hard drive first, followed by optical drive. I have a feeling I switched them round a couple of months ago when I was racking my brains as to what might be causing this. Anyway, I switched them back to the default (optical then hard drive).

I then turned the laptop off, and it restarted successfully.

I turned it off again, and this time got the blinking cursor.

I cut the power, then tried restating again ...and this time was successful. So I now have the computer back on ...but don't really want to turn it off again,

The removing and re-inserting of the hard drive does appear to be the best technique for getting it to work after a sequence of non-starts, however this is becoming tiresome, and I'm gradually wearing down the heads of the screws!

The laptop is a Sony VGN-NW21ZF.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,754 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2015 - 04:53 PM

Removing and re-fitting a hard drive is no part of any normal boot procedure !

You said that you tend to keep this computer switched on, and I can understand why, so I presume you have the charger in and powered up most of the time. Does it make any difference if you try booting with the charger connected or just from battery power alone ? 

As i said above the normal cause of seeing this flashing cursor is that the system cannot find a bootable hard drive. Since you have changed the hard drive the drive itself is not likely to be the problem. Which leaves me wondering about the connections to the motherboard from the SATA socket. This is rather like the symptoms you can get with a 'cold' solder joint. That is a joint where the solder has not fully bonded to - usually - the connector pin. If this is the case, unless you have fairly high order soldering skills, it is a job for a professional repair. However I googled for 'known problems' and came up with this link which might shed some light on your problem :-

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/330732-sony-vaio-laptop-booting-issues-blinking-cursor-or-blank-screen/

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users