Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Errors, Warnings etc. in Event Viewer - what do they mean?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 zzzz

zzzz

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 05 September 2015 - 11:15 AM

The telephone scammers ask you to look at all the errors and warnings etc. shown in Event Viewer to entice you to pay up to fix them but there is no real problem, is there? 

I see many are for not shutting down properly etc. but is there any concern for any of these errors and warnings?

Thanks for advice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 05 September 2015 - 03:57 PM

Hi. . .

A very good question indeed.

No, there is no reason for concern unless you are experiencing system problems.

XP had 3 basic Event Viewer logs; Vista had ~175; Windows 8.1 has 275 Event Viewer logs, etc... - they add more logs with each new OS.

You would literally drive yourself nuts trying to figure out every entry.  I have no idea what many of the entries refer to as not only are Windows OS related events recorded, but events related to 3rd party apps can be recorded as well. I only look through the Event Viewer logs if I am encountering system trouble.

I would suggest that you forget about the Event Viewer logs and occasionally review/take a look at the Reliability Monitor.  But even that will report events as Errors or Critical that you need do nothing about.

http://www.sysnative.com/forums/windows-8-windows-rt-tutorials/10778-windows-reliability-monitor-windows-10-8-1-8-7-vista.html

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Edited by jcgriff2, 05 September 2015 - 03:59 PM.

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP 2018 - Present

#3 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2015 - 05:15 AM

Thanks for your reassuring response.  I have no system problems (Win 10)

I just wanted to learn something about them and know if perhaps there was a possibility of correcting a minor error but I had heard that these indications are on all computers and nothing to worry about so just confirming.

That reliability link looks interesting - I'll give it a go - thanks

#4 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2015 - 05:32 AM

That report just shows how many failures  (and successes) occur with no apparent indication of problems when normally running a computer!

#5 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 06 September 2015 - 04:52 PM

Yes... very much like the event viewer -- just a little easier to read.

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP 2018 - Present

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users